Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next years Championship will be harder

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree with [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]

The only possibly legitimate argument for the Champ becoming harder next year is that FFP relaxation will mean more teams can legally chuck a bit more cash at a promotion punt. But even that doesn't make it 'harder', as a) everyone is in the same boat (cash notwithstanding) and b) it lessens the impact of parachute payments. So I'd say that is spurious as well.

The only real measures of how hard a league is are the number of points required to either get 2nd or make the playoffs and I haven't seen any trends to support this, though happy to be stat****ed.

Thumbs up purely for the phenomenal use of the phrase "stat****ed".

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It won't be harder.

3 teams who win most matches will be replaced by 3 teams that should win most matches.

Some teams will improve ( Forest may if their embago is lifted, Massive Wednesday ).

Some will lose parachute payments ( Blackburn, Bolton, Wolves) , or have lower parachute payments ( Cardiff, Fulham, Reading ), and will be cutting budgets.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
You could say that most years. I think one of the teams could go into free fall, probably Villa.

I wouldn't discard Burnley this year either.

Very much this. I think Villa could do a Wolves and go down again. Maybe even become a Bradford or Wednesday and spend a fair bit of time in the lower leagues.

I think this was being discussed by a few pundits the other day as well. They are just absolutely awful at times and even when they play well they couldn't score in a brothel

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Means jack shit , who's got the bottle if things get a bit jittery
regards
DR
F*cking hell, I agree with Das.

Wheel losse sooner or later and probably sooner if the injury list gets any worse. It's how we respond to a few setbacks that'll be the difference between going up and not.

The unbeaten run is great but won't actually mean anything unless we do an Arsenal (by which I mean invincible season Arsenal, not completely bottle it Arsenal).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
And then we'd have to play two of those teams to get through the playoffs. There's no reason we can't keep up our current form, especially if there is a bit of strengthening and/or returns from injuries over the next month or so.

In fact, there are plenty of reasons to believe we'll improve. Let's turn some of those away draws in to victories!

1. Our fixtures are easier in the 2nd half of this season (last two games being the toughest)
2. Players coming back from injury (Including the prolific Bongkaz partnership on our left)
3. Towell goals
4. Other new signings
5. CH did not crack (like McLaren last year) when he smashed the Championship with Newcastle, why would we suffer a loss of form; he is a better manager now.
6. Impressive squad players like Goldson, Uwe and Crofts able to fit in.
7. Promising wildcards available from U21 including Harper, Tilley & Hambo as they find form and recover from injury.
8. James Wilson staying with us until the end of the season. (fingers crossed)
9. BZ gradually getting fitter.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In fact, there are plenty of reasons to believe we'll improve. Let's turn some of those away draws in to victories!

1. Our fixtures are easier in the 2nd half of this season (last two games being the toughest)
2. Players coming back from injury (Including the prolific Bongkaz partnership on our left)
3. Towell goals
4. Other new signings
5. CH did not crack (like McLaren last year) when he smashed the Championship with Newcastle, why would we suffer a loss of form; he is a better manager now.
6. Impressive squad players like Goldson, Uwe and Crofts able to fit in.
7. Promising wildcards available from U21 including Harper, Tilley & Hambo as they find form and recover from injury.
8. James Wilson staying with us until the end of the season. (fingers crossed)
9. BZ gradually getting fitter.

I like this post.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
"The Championship will be harder next season" - said EVERY SINGLE SEASON. Meaningless truism. Some of the sides coming down look utter SHITHOUSE.

100% this. Over summer there were a lot of people claiming that this year was going to be the hardest for ages(probably so they could indulge in some doom and gloom and predict our relegation). Turns out it's no harder than previous years. Next year will be the same.

As for people saying they'll take fifth f offered now...that's ridiculous! We're pretty much nailed on to finish in the play offs so why would you accept something that we're going to get anyway at the expense of doing better?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
100% this. Over summer there were a lot of people claiming that this year was going to be the hardest for ages(probably so they could indulge in some doom and gloom and predict our relegation). Turns out it's no harder than previous years. Next year will be the same.

As for people saying they'll take fifth f offered now...that's ridiculous! We're pretty much nailed on to finish in the play offs so why would you accept something that we're going to get anyway at the expense of doing better?

It would take something quite devastating for us to finish outside the playoffs now. Hughton doesn't seem like the sort of manager to wobble like that at all, and our team spirit is possibly the best I've ever seen it. I'm hoping for Top 4 at the least now.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Every year people think the championship will be 'harder' - i'm guessing it's because the teams relegated always come down with players that they've signed whilst in the premier league and people think that this makes them stronger, which in fairness is sometimes true.

But what about teams like Bolton, Reading, Fulham, Wolves, Blackburn etc etc who have all very much struggled since they were relegated?

If you've watched Villa this season, you'd realise that they would also struggle in this division at the moment, they are utter SHITE.

This. There is a constant tendency on NSC to worry about relegated teams. Fact is that they don't often bounce straight back as auto promo; West Ham and Norwich managed PO wins. Don't know why, perhaps it just needs a bit of Championship nouse to get out of the division. Relegated teams will typically have an infrastructure and mindset suited to staying in Prem, it takes a change to think about away games at MK Dons and Rotherham.

Hull and Burnley have had the sense to retain managers who got them out of Championship, perhaps no coincidence they are up there.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think that's spot on. Last season was awful for us but Fulham and Wigan were nailed on certs for promotion. It's not easy to bounce back, in fact it seems.easier to go into freefall.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It has become harder every year (other than anomalies) since we (GP) decided not to motivate his team against You Know Who !

Perhaps it may be expected given that, year on year, there are more and more teams with parachute payments !

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
With the squads that QPR, Hull & Burnley came down with I thought this season would be very difficult for most other teams. If you factor in the signings that Boro & Derby made then I was certain the top 5 was already sorted.

However none really dominating and nobody has a massive league. It could come down to who can keep up under pressure, and now we're not the undefeated team that everyone is trying to scalp I hope we will have a lot less draws during the second half of the season

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
The teams who come down from the PL will all be basket cases, unless one is Norwich. Can you really see the likes of Sunderland, Villa, Newcastle, Swansea even actually managing to survive financially? As for us, I'm convinced were going up via the play offs - really boring final until the 89th minute, and then the ball gets to BZ lurking in the opposition penalty area. Que rejoicing and sainthood

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here