Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next Tottenham manager.. should we be worried?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
With betting suspended on Redknapp to be next England Manager, who do we think will be the next Tottenham manager? A quick look through the betting, I can only see 2 or 3 candidates above him on this list that would take it or be offered it. Should we be worried about Poyet moving on?

Jose Mourinho 7/2
Alan Pardew 12/1
David Moyes 11/2
Tim Sherwood 7/1
Brendan Rogers 12/1
Joe Jordan 16/1
Martin O'neil 12/1
Carlo Ancelloti 20/1
Fabio Capello 20/1
Gus Poyet 20/1
Gus Hiddink 20/1
Mark Hughes 20/1

So, should we be worried?

D

Deleted member 22389

With betting suspended on Redknapp to be next England Manager, who do we think will be the next Tottenham manager? A quick look through the betting, I can only see 2 or 3 candidates above him on this list that would take it or be offered it. Should we be worried about Poyet moving on?

Jose Mourinho 7/2
Alan Pardew 12/1
David Moyes 11/2
Tim Sherwood 7/1
Brendan Rogers 12/1
Joe Jordan 16/1
Martin O'neil 12/1
Carlo Ancelloti 20/1
Fabio Capello 20/1
Gus Poyet 20/1
Gus Hiddink 20/1
Mark Hughes 20/1

So, should we be worried?

Yesterday I was not worried. Today I am.

They are going to be talking to Johnny Cantor in about an hour on BBC Radio Sussex to see what has been said at the press conference, namely if the job was offered to Gus would he go.
We just don't need all this at the moment.
The names on that list, Carlo Ancelloti 20/1 or Gus Hiddink 20/1 would be good choices. Just stay away from Gus.

But Harry has not gone yet, has he.

Last edited by a moderator:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
No we shouldn't be worried. Tottenham are headed for the Champions League. They won't offer the job to someone who hasn't had top flight experience, let alone someone who has only managed for half a season in the 2nd flight.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I honestly don't think Harry will come in long term. I think he may well take over for Euro 2012, but he'll appoint someone to fill his boots at Spurs until he comes back.

If not I'd be shocked if it was Gus. Could be Sherwood, but would be surprised if the board want to put in an untested manager. Maybe Moyes will depart Everton, he's been there quite some time now.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The more plausible risk would be Gus getting an opportunity further down a chain of change but I can't see Spurs risking someone so inexperienced given where they are now.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I think it will be one of the Chelsea rejects:
Mourinho
Hiddink
AVB (I can't see him being there next season)

Or maybe Capello.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Jose Mourinho 7/2, if there is money to spend i can see him taking the job.
Alan Pardew 12/1, doing well at newcastle and needs to still prove he is a top manager
David Moyes 11/2, would be a good career move for him.
Tim Sherwood 7/1, no experience
Brendan Rogers 12/1, very little top flight experience
Joe Jordan 16/1, when was the last time he managed a team?
Martin O'neil 12/1, only just got back into a job and going well.
Carlo Ancelloti 20/1, would be a good appointment, has the experience
Fabio Capello 20/1, really, f***ing really?
Gus Poyet 20/1, did well in league 1, and doing alright in championship.
Gus Hiddink 20/1, would be a good appointment, has the experience
Mark Hughes 20/1, only just got a job back in football.

For me, i would stick a fiver on Ancelloti.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The more plausible risk would be Gus getting an opportunity further down a chain of change but I can't see Spurs risking someone so inexperienced given where they are now.
I can't see Gus being tempted by anything further down the chain, luckily.

I think he enjoys the life in Brighton, has been backed by his chairman, and his project of taking BHAFC to the next level is well underway and working a treat. I can only see him ever going to a CL club, and that won't happen until we are a Premiership club in a 30,000 stadium. At that point, he'll be able to go wherever he wants.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
No chance. It'll be Mourinho, perfect job for him, as it wouldn't rule him out of the Man Ure job when that comes up.

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
Next Tottenham manager.. should we be worried?

No. Aside from not having the experience or weight of achievement behind him to take on a big club headed for the CL, I would think he may still be too closely associated with the Ramos period.

Once uopn a time, up and coming managers had chances at big clubs, but sadly that time has passed, and not only because of the internationalisation of the premier league. He may need to do a fair bit more before getting an opportunity at a top 6 club.

Last edited:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think Spurs and Gus know that he needs longer to be ready for that.

D

Deleted member 22389

Jose Mourinho 7/2, He wants to come back to the Premiership. He has experience.
Alan Pardew 12/1, Will not leave current position
David Moyes 11/2, Unsure
Tim Sherwood 7/1, No experience
Brendan Rogers 12/1, Not enough experience yet, and settled.
Joe Jordan 16/1, No chance
Martin O'neil 12/1, Will not leave current position
Carlo Ancelloti 20/1, He has experience
Fabio Capello 20/1, No chance
Gus Poyet 20/1, Not enough experience yet. A gamble for tottenham.
Gus Hiddink 20/1, He has experience
Mark Hughes 20/1, Will not leave current position

I'm amazed that there are really people out there that think that title challenging Spurs, almost certain to be in the Champions League, would appoint a former player who's had 2 years of management experience, 18 months of that in League One, and who's only achievement thus far is winning Division Three.

As the odds suggest, if they were going to go down the 'former player for the sake of it' route, it'd be Tim Sherwood who is on the current coaching staff there.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
More likely to go to Zaragoza if they get relegated this season which looks pretty much nailed on. Once they sort out their financial mess and start moving the club forward again off the field I can see them coming in for Gus to take them forward on the playing side of things.

Much more worried about that situation :(

dcr21

Feb 28, 2009
HOVE ACTUALLY
I'm amazed that there are really people out there that think that title challenging Spurs, almost certain to be in the Champions League, would appoint a former player who's had 2 years of management experience, 18 months of that in League One, and who's only achievement thus far is winning Division Three.

As the odds suggest, if they were going to go down the 'former player for the sake of it' route, it'd be Tim Sherwood who is on the current coaching staff there.

This. Gus was No2 before and it rarely works out appointing then to the top job - i.e Sammy Lee

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Rosie The Dog 4/5
Jose Mourinho 7/2
Alan Pardew 12/1
David Moyes 11/2
Tim Sherwood 7/1
Brendan Rogers 12/1
Joe Jordan 16/1
Martin O'neil 12/1
Carlo Ancelloti 20/1
Fabio Capello 20/1
Gus Poyet 20/1
Gus Hiddink 20/1
Mark Hughes 20/1

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Can't see Spurs even thinking about Poyet personally.

I can.

he's been a player there, he's been a coach there, he's been an assistant manager there. He has always said that he would love to go back there to manage (rather than Chelsea)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here