Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next time you think about posting rumours on here

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
In ancient Greece, Socrates (469 - 399 BC) was widely lauded for his wisdom.

One day an acquaintance ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about Diogenes?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied, "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."
'Triple filter?" asked the acquaintance. "That's right," Socrates continued, "Before you talk to me about Diogenes let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No," the man said, "Actually I just heard about it."

"All right," said Socrates, "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about Diogenes something good?"

"No, on the contrary...."

"So," Socrates continued, "You want to tell me something about Diogenes that may be bad, even though you're not certain it's true?"

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed. Socrates continued, "You may still pass the test though, because there is a third filter, the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about Diogenes going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "If what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even Useful, why tell it to me or anyone at all?"

The man left, bewildered and ashamed. This is an example of why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

It also explains why Socrates never found out that Diogenes was shagging his wife.

D

Deleted User X18H

In ancient Greece, Socrates (469 - 399 BC) was widely lauded for his wisdom.

One day an acquaintance ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about Diogenes?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied, "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."
'Triple filter?" asked the acquaintance. "That's right," Socrates continued, "Before you talk to me about Diogenes let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No," the man said, "Actually I just heard about it."

"All right," said Socrates, "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about Diogenes something good?"

"No, on the contrary...."

"So," Socrates continued, "You want to tell me something about Diogenes that may be bad, even though you're not certain it's true?"

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed. Socrates continued, "You may still pass the test though, because there is a third filter, the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about Diogenes going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "If what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even Useful, why tell it to me or anyone at all?"

The man left, bewildered and ashamed. This is an example of why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

It also explains why Socrates never found out that Diogenes was shagging his wife.

Are you;

A) Sitting in a shed desperatly thinking of reasons not to go inside to greet your soon to be arriving in-laws?
B) Bored of counting the lavatory rolls in the central heating cupboard?
C) Annoyed that you can't contribute to the other rumours thread? (psst threw in the Cudicini one that always gets forgotten about from the last time)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Ah yes,he said i know about you shagging my wife(as i am all knowing),but do you know about me shagging your wife & daughter too!! Socrates said to Diogenes...

:shrug:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Aristotle is held in great esteem but he believed that women had fewer teeth than men. Why should we trust this guy if we can't trust Aristotle?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
What rumour are you referring to?

All and any, I would hope. There's plenty of times I've typed up a post, thought about it, and decided it wasn't a good idea...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If anyone is interested in philosophy then the book Sophie's World is a pretty good read, it sort of goes through the history of the subject, looking at the views and theories of the philosophers but in a modern-ish setting. Very clever, a good read anyway.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
All and any, I would hope. There's plenty of times I've typed up a post, thought about it, and decided it wasn't a good idea...

Likewise...my filters are generally, will this add to the discussion, is it likely to cause offence (intentional or unintentional) or will anyone read it and just think that I am a complete prat. Clearly a few posts have made it through, but generally because someone has posted something so deeply insensitive or stupid that it needs a response.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Are you;

A) Sitting in a shed desperatly thinking of reasons not to go inside to greet your soon to be arriving in-laws?
B) Bored of counting the lavatory rolls in the central heating cupboard?
C) Annoyed that you can't contribute to the other rumours thread? (psst threw in the Cudicini one that always gets forgotten about from the last time)

Whats your problem, perhaps missing your daily look-at-me fix?

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Likewise...my filters are generally, will this add to the discussion, is it likely to cause offence (intentional or unintentional) or will anyone read it and just think that I am a complete prat. Clearly a few posts have made it through, but generally because someone has posted something so deeply insensitive or stupid that it needs a response.

Bravo. The conscience of NSC.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Sócrates was definitely one of the more intelligent footballers. Diogenes did not have his footballing vision.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Sócrates was definitely one of the more intelligent footballers. Diogenes did not have his footballing vision.

Agree with you there, I saw Romario play a couple of times and considered him gifted...not sure what he was like on philosophy though!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There are three problems with this:

Diogenes was about 10 years old when Socrates died
Diogenes was renowned for living in a barrel and generally leading an austere life
Xanthippe (Socrates wife) is a by-word for abusive women and most blokes would have run a mile

(I knew those years of studying philosophy would come in handy one day)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here