Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Next team to suffer racist abuse at Spurs....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Given the team we started with on Saturday - not sure we are at risk of suffering any racist abuse

Spuds fans and Mourinho will be full of praise post-match for the way Potter conducted himself. A doormat approach to the game, with acres for counter attacking Spuds to run into. Guardiola was very appreciative post Albion match.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This. Supposed to be three strikes and the game is abandoned no? Bit of bottling out there, seems like. Shame. Could have sent the clearest message possible.

To who though? One individual as yet unidentified, so must the other 59,999 be punished? Should we shut down the underground if one person jumps the barriers? We are getting near hysterical over such incidents. The proportional reaction is ridiculous. Threats of matches abandoned, played behind closed doors, teams banned from competitions...because of one idiot? One! That’s bloody amazing progress if all we’ve got is one idiot in 60k!! What’s wrong with just punishing that person? And to be slightly controversial, has it crossed anyone’s mind that the player may have misheard even? Happened at the Amex remember, back page headlines screamed shame on us for our racist chanting, Albion investigated and the offending chant was...Seagulls, Seagulls that some deaf twant misheard on television. By then, damage done. No one reads the apology on page 18 in brief a month later.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To who though? One individual as yet unidentified, so must the other 59,999 be punished? Should we shut down the underground if one person jumps the barriers? We are getting near hysterical over such incidents. The proportional reaction is ridiculous. Threats of matches abandoned, played behind closed doors, teams banned from competitions...because of one idiot? One! That’s bloody amazing progress if all we’ve got is one idiot in 60k!! What’s wrong with just punishing that person? And to be slightly controversial, has it crossed anyone’s mind that the player may have misheard even? Happened at the Amex remember, back page headlines screamed shame on us for our racist chanting, Albion investigated and the offending chant was...Seagulls, Seagulls that some deaf twant misheard on television. By then, damage done. No one reads the apology on page 18 in brief a month later.

Was it the same racist **** 3 times? Or did they take it in shifts? And what were the non-racists around them doing other than failing to report it? And the stewards? And the cctv? Not much real-time action there. Some poor decision-making that sent out no kind of message at all.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Was it the same racist **** 3 times? Or did they take it in shifts? And what were the non-racists around them doing other than failing to report it? And the stewards? And the cctv? Not much real-time action there. Some poor decision-making that sent out no kind of message at all.

I don’t know, nor does anyone, but plenty of people won’t get involved and it doesn’t make them guilty. People have zero choice who they sit near to. It’s a lottery. If it happened multiple times and still the TV isn’t picking out who’s doing it then something wrong there for sure. It should be easy enough to find them in due course. But abandoning a game etc because of something like 15 idiots in every one million fans? At today’s admission costs? And when does the game get replayed? Or are the points awarded to one side? Nope, deal with retrospectively, proportionally and therefore fairly.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My biggest issue with the responses to the issue after Spurs v Chelsea came from Lampard and Mourhino. Although they didn't ignore the question on it . They both danced round the question and failed to outright condemn it. Very disappointed indeed by their respective responses.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Things have clearly got worse in England from where we were 4 or 5 years ago. The rise in documented hate crimes is a matter of fact and a by-product of that is more racism in and around football. It doesn't surprise me and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Absolute rubbish.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Didn’t you have 2 fans banned for racially abusing Son ?
Stones and greenhouses come to mind.

Please explain. I'm struggling to understand why someone, like the overwhelming majority, who are not involved in such things is not entitled to comment. What did you hope to achieve by your comment ? Is it collective responsibility now ? If someone in my stand shouts out racist abuse does that make me a racist ?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
My biggest issue with the responses to the issue after Spurs v Chelsea came from Lampard and Mourhino. Although they didn't ignore the question on it . They both danced round the question and failed to outright condemn it. Very disappointed indeed by their respective responses.

Don't know about Lampard - but Mourinho's family were very close to the Portuguese fascist dictator Salazar - he dances around any question on issues like this.

The increase in racism in football is directly related to the whipping up of racism and xenophobia in British society (and it is not just happening in Britain - Ireland has also seen a rise of racist and homophobic attacks).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, there was never any racist chanting in football before that.

But his point was that Farage etc and their actions and attitudes have meant some people consider it more acceptable.....

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Racist abuse or homophobic chanting?
QPR (was it 3 years back) walking back to the coach and a few oppo fans started the 'we can see you' chant. Police weren't interested when approached despite witnessing it.
I have strong thoughts about all this, and I'll put my hands up straight away to monkey chanting in the 70's at the Goldstone.
Scenario, a black guy is picked on by a white guy.
In a room of 100 people, another white guy will say something racist.
In a room of 1000 people, two white guys will back the white guy.
In a room of 10,000 people, 10 white guys may start a fight against the black guy.
In a stadium of 60,000 fans, 1 white guy said something. How can we stop that?
Also, if Spurs are 0:2 down, what's to stop the crowd chanting racist songs to get the game stopped?
Personally, I'm an old man now and completely changed, but not everyone has changed their attitudes, I just don't know how to solve it.

Why would they be interested in a harmless chant like that? Haven't the Police got better things to do like catching proper criminals?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It’s a nothing chant that should be water off a duck’s back to all of us.

Best response is “You’re too ugly to be gay.”

In what possible way is that a nothing chant!

It’s a homophobic chant made towards a group of people, (a number of whom are likely to be gay), and directed as an insult.

Does there have to visibly be people of colour in a group to make a racist remark directed at the group actually racist?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Things have clearly got worse in England from where we were 4 or 5 years ago. The rise in documented hate crimes is a matter of fact and a by-product of that is more racism in and around football. It doesn't surprise me and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Absolute rubbish.

Pavilionaire was quoting facts. It is not "absolute rubbish".

And a lot of it is the fallout from BREXIT....... And that does NOT mean that all Brexiteers are racist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here