Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next season

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Can't wait for next season.

23 home games, pretty much all of them at 3oclock on a Saturday.

Competitive league, hopefully we'll do OK.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I seriously think they will be much stronger next year.... I think a safe bet to finish above you next year. Strong manager that is proven in this division, money to spend, good loyal fans and a squad that should have performed far better last year.

Oh and you may need to change your signature, bit out of date pal!

Have you heard of the new FFP rules? They are being introduced to prevent clubs from continuing to play the administration get out of jail free card which allowed Palace's prudent new owners to have a massive amount of debt offloaded so they could buy the business without having to sell the likes of Speroni and Zaha. The league have now decided that this will be called 'cheating'. That's not the type of cheating which Watford did last year, i.e. working within the rules, but thinking of it before Ian Holloway did, but 'actual cheating'.

Palace will be free of this for a season because the devil looks after his own. Brighton are cutting their cloth to abide by the new rules. There are other teams who are so far in the mire that they have little or no chance of meeting the FFP rules.
Ipswich are one of them: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22046689.

QPR are another: http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/...eague-return-to-avoid-becoming-a-zombie-club-

Leicester are another http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21640370

It would be my bet that, barring the cushion of their Year 2 Premiership Failure money, Bolton and Blackburn are two more.

After major investment over the last two years to bring our league one squad somewhere into line, we will be able to meet FFP requirements and compete with those in our division. Whilst Palace fans are congratulating themselves for hitting the £120M jackpot, they should remember that every other team they will be competing with is also guaranteed that £120M and most of the other nineteen also have things like Premiership standard squads and large home gate receipts. If I were a Palace fan I wouldn't be concerning myself with Brighton's chances next year. I would be pressing the clubs owners to spend as little as possible next year, take the beatings which are coming anyway with good grace and congratulating myself that, despite my club being a contributory factor in FFP being introduced, a fluke season allowed it to make enough money to secure its future.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
To be honest its the same every year, its always the toughest championship ever.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Knackered, but will always be the best free signing we are likely to make for many years....and the worst business you have done also !

A bit like Bridcutt then, only more so.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Not been on here for some time now and how times have changed..

Yes we have reached the promised land although it is going to be very hard to stay there, but at least we will get some long awaited funds behind us now, and finally be able to some much needed improvements around Selhurst.

Now on to Brighton...

I honestly think next year will be a very tough Championship. QPR, Bolton, Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds, Wigan, Reading to name a few will all be strong, plus a few others improving too.

I believe the play offs will be out of reach next year for you as I think a few key players could go such as Bridcutt, plus losing Bridge will leave a big hole.

The Poyet saga could also become an unwanted distraction too, you need to get that sorted asap, as it could get nasty in the press otherwise.

You will need to tighten the purse strings too as I think your crowds will drop a little from last year.

I don't believe you will have to worry about relegation, but knowing this league so well after many years trying to get out, I just think this year will be much harder for you.

Saying that I think out of all the play off teams last season, Watford could be in a world of trouble next year and could be a decent bet for relegation...

Be interested to see what your feelings are towards next year.

Interesting to hear your views I think our situation will depend on when the new manager is appointed and who he brings in. I think we will do well as the players are mostly the same. Not sure about Bridcutt going yet.

One thing for sure, my money is for you the be in the championship for 2014-2015. Cannot see you living with most teams in the prem unless you buy heavily.

Yes we have reached the promised land although it is going to be very hard to stay there, but at least we will get some long awaited funds behind us now, and finally be able to some much needed improvements around Selhurst.

Now on to Brighton...

I honestly think next year will be a very tough Championship. QPR, Bolton, Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds, Wigan, Reading to name a few will all be strong, plus a few others improving too.

I believe the play offs will be out of reach next year for you as I think a few key players could go such as Bridcutt, plus losing Bridge will leave a big hole.

The Poyet saga could also become an unwanted distraction too, you need to get that sorted asap, as it could get nasty in the press otherwise.

You will need to tighten the purse strings too as I think your crowds will drop a little from last year.

I don't believe you will have to worry about relegation, but knowing this league so well after many years trying to get out, I just think this year will be much harder for you.

Saying that I think out of all the play off teams last season, Watford could be in a world of trouble next year and could be a decent bet for relegation...

So basically - third season syndrome?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I love all this talk of the £120million do palace fans not realise that the players they will be bringing in will be commanding premier league wages on 2/3 year contracts. That is the the whole point in the parachute payments to be able to sustain some of those costs when your revenues take such massive drop.

Every season is the 'toughest' and people were saying the same about Leicester, Bolton, Forest, Leeds and Blackburn last season and look where they all ended up. Christ even Wolves were being touted as potentially bouncing back to the prem.

Well done palace on going up and enjoy the money but any claims that our progress is going to be halted by a change of manager or FFP is a bit hopeful to say the least

I would be more worried about taking a squad and manager into the premier league that on the last day of the season were rooted to the foot of the form table. Good luck with that

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
To be honest its the same every year, its always the toughest championship ever.

Yeah, and last year's certainly wasn't. There were no stand-out teams, even Cardiff weren't that good, and I believe our record in League games against the three promoted sides was P6 W3 D1 L2 so none of them were that much better than us. (None of them did the double over us)

I think the division next season WILL be tougher - but then I don't think it could be any weaker. QPR could well be the new Wolves but that's about it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1. Every year everyone says the Championship is going to be harder than the season previous. It's bollocks, based on nothing.
2. Every year Palace fans predict our crowds will start to dwindle, so they can comfort themselves that we're not actually a worryingly big club support wise. And every year they're wrong, looking like higher attendances next year than last, now we have 30k available for a whole season.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Strange how views can be so different. When the fixtures came out and I looked through my first reaction was that this division doesn't look that strong. I can't see anyone being head and shoulders over everyone else so will be tough in that there are a lot of teams at the same(ish) level but as per last year any out of 15 teams or so could make it.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

Now on to Brighton...

thank for your review of our situation and I am sorry for you that Bromley Council don't want you so good luck trying to improve Selhurst. I will be happy to compare seasons at the end not at the start. I hope we score more than you concede then we should have no problem passing you. :bhasign:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here