Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next Labour leader odds cut to 9/2 fill your boots

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Dan Jarvis has stated he will not stand for the leadership.

Possibly a shrewd move. He's a soldier and as such understands more than most about battle strategy. Labour have no hope in 5 years time so what is the point? 2020 will be the time make a leadership bid for anybody serious about becoming the next Labour Prime Minister.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Dan Jarvis is the populist and glamour candidate. He lacks experience.

I suggest Andy Burnham is the safest best. There needs to be a period of reform. I think he'll get the backing of the Unions too.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Possibly a shrewd move. He's a soldier and as such understands more than most about battle strategy. Labour have no hope in 5 years time so what is the point? 2020 will be the time make a leadership bid for anybody serious about becoming the next Labour Prime Minister.

Labour lost because of the media's successful campaign linking them with the SNP and the chaos that alliance would bring. They also failed to present a coherent message of better economics and social strategy. Then there was Ed Milliband..

A leader, who is seen as that, and a viable economic strategy will set them back on track.

This will be much easier during this term. The Tories will move further to the right now the Liberal Democrats are gone. A successful Labour leader will be one who is able to draw lines of distinction.

That is why they need experience.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Got to be Chuka Umana. Will get the young vote wanting to see history made by electing the first black PM. He would be marketed as our Barack Obama

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I think it will be Andy Burnham.

He'll do the Neil Kinnock job of sorting out the party from top to bottom.

Then Dan Jarvis comes galloping in as the knight in shining armour after Labour loses the 2020 election to Boris Johnson and sweeps to an unprecidented victory in 2025.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It won't be Dan Jarvis.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

It will be interesting to see how the changes pushed through by Ed m in terms of moving to one member one vote ( meaning it's not an electoral college where MPs, members and unions makes up thirds of the group) plays out. To vote, even if you are a member of an affiliated unions, you have to opt in and become a labour member.

It could be that as alternative vote is used you end up with the least extreme/worst of you end up with a truly representative candidate.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
It's a danger to assume that military leadership translates to political leadership, and the idea of a man who has been an MP for four years leading the opposition strikes me as foolhardy. Jarvis was being touted as a potential future leader a few months back by Kirkup in the Telegraph, which probably means the Tory press have some form of dirt on him. And he's ruled himself out today due to his kids having been through so much in recent years (gives him leeway to run next time).

Cooper is the best of the likely candidates (and would really come into her own if the economy hits the brakes) but she should have put herself forward in 2010 and sidelined her husband, whose unpopularity with the electorate was confirmed last Thursday. Chuka is a joke, which means they will probably go for him. Prepare to hear a lot about how he is the British Obama (he doesn't come close).

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Don't know if anybody heard Nick Robinson last friday morning just after Ed Balls lost his seat?

I'm paraphrasing but he said that he thinks the public will in time, grow to think fondly of him. That away from politics he is a good family man, funny and charming, and very very intelligent. He actually said he was the brightest economist he'd ever met (Peston was on the studio too).

Now thinking on that, how does that help or hinder yvette cooper's chances?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Don't know if anybody heard Nick Robinson last friday morning just after Ed Balls lost his seat?

I'm paraphrasing but he said that he thinks the public will in time, grow to think fondly of him. That away from politics he is a good family man, funny and charming, and very very intelligent. He actually said he was the brightest economist he'd ever met (Peston was on the studio too).

I am proabably in a minority of one (maybe two - the only time that Yvette Cooper and I and in bed together) but I like Ed Balls. He is a scrapper with an intellect. And I think he actually supports a football team - not just says he does.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I am proabably in a minority of one (maybe two - the only time that Yvette Cooper and I and in bed together) but I like Ed Balls. He is a scrapper with an intellect. And I think he actually supports a football team - not just says he does.

Pity then, that he made himself look such a knob with his predictions of mass unemployment and a triple-dip recession; and then when it was impossible to sustain that line... moved on to the economy flat-lining; and finally to the impossible to prove one way or the other 'our way would have been better'... and all the while the persistent denial of Labour over-spending. I get that it is the duty of oppositions to oppose, but this was pretty pathetic.

As leader? Hinder. Tory press did a massive number on Balls, totally disgraceful. Every tabloid front page will then tag that to her, there won't be a pic of her published without him being "Balls" there also. But whingeing about that doesn't get us anywhere, we have to get even, not mad.

Cooper may make a decent deputy though, agnostic on that - she is a smart, serious politician

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...Tory press did a massive number on Balls, totally disgraceful...

Did you ever watch him during PMQs? Red in the face, chuntering, hand-gestures... he was anything but the statesman. He did enough of a job on himself to ensure he would never be popular with the voting public.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As leader? Hinder. Tory press did a massive number on Balls, totally disgraceful. Every tabloid front page will then tag that to her, there won't be a pic of her published without him being "Balls" there also. But whingeing about that doesn't get us anywhere, we have to get even, not mad.

Cooper may make a decent deputy though, agnostic on that - she is a smart, serious politician

You are incredible (not in a good way) the Tory press did a massive number on Balls. I think you'll find anyone with brain could see he was a liability to the party. Couple that with Millipede Labour was just not electable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here