[Albion] Next Brighton manager

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
When I left Sheffield University for a "competitor" university 20 years ago, I took four of my staff with me. It's quite common for people to take their key staff with them in my line of work, and for couples to leave at the same time,

Some exciting prospects for a new manager and, probably, some of their coaching staff. I think we have interesting times ahead. It's a bit like when Micky Adams came in, just the other end of the league. Still think it was more fun in the lower leagues.

American companies do that a lot when senior management leave…they tend to go back and poach their management teams

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have read a bit about him, but it’s is just a fans view, but do we think it is a great idea to give the job to a total novice of prem football?

At least potter knew the English leagues with Swansea.

I suppose Oscar didn’t know English football but he jacked it in after a year due to the pressure seemly.

Could be quite a leap of faith

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I have read a bit about him, but it’s is just a fans view, but do we think it is a great idea to give the job to a total novice of prem football?

I suppose Oscar didn’t know English football but he jacked it in after a year due to the pressure seemly.

He’d hardly be the first manager to come here with no experience of the English league - Guardiola, Wenger, Mourinho, Klopp, Benitez, Pochettino and Conte for a start and they all did ok. Potter had no knowledge of the Swedish leagues when he went over there.

It’s a universal game, it really isn’t that much of an issue these days.

Last edited:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

No point worrying about that yet. There has been many mangers that have done well in the premier league with no previous experience. There was some French fella called Wenger who did quite well for example or that Klopp bloke

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He’d hardly be the first manager to come here with no experience of the English league - Guardiola, Mourinho, Klopp, Benitez, Pochettino and Conte for a start and they all did ok. Potter had no knowledge of the Swedish leagues when he went over there.

It’s a universal game, it really isn’t that much of an issue these days.

I hope you are right. Personally I think It’s a shame Pochettino didn’t make the list ( of course he may have done) especially with his experience

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good news, we can do better

I'm not saying that I want Cooper (he wouldn't be in my top 5 picks) but like Rodgers he's been dealt a bum hand by his board.

What's interesting is that he and Rodgers have been shafted in completely opposite ways. Cooper's been handed a load of players that he probably doesn't want with no sense of them fitting together while Rodgers has lost his kingpin goalie and a centre back and not allowed to buy any replacements.

I think Cooper and Rodgers are decent managers who probably deserve a break at other clubs - just hope it's not ours

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I'm not saying that I want Cooper (he wouldn't be in my top 5 picks) but like Rodgers he's been dealt a bum hand by his board.

What's interesting is that he and Rodgers have been shafted in completely opposite ways. Cooper's been handed a load of players that he probably doesn't want with no sense of them fitting together while Rodgers has lost his kingpin goalie and a centre back and not allowed to buy any replacements.

I think Cooper and Rodgers are decent managers who probably deserve a break at other clubs - just hope it's not ours

I'd like a more exotic appointment than Cooper, more of a dice roll and a strap ourselves in for a ride type manager

They're both good managers though, sure

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Hmmm not sure about his stint at Palermo, he could be another Sami

Palermo were a basket case. They had only just survived relegation the previous season despite or because the owner swapped manager 9 times in the one season.

Those 9 managers meant that Palermo president, Maurizio Zamparini, had hired, fired or lost 59 coaches in 29 years.

De Zerbi took over 2 games into the season after Alessandro Diamanti, who had been fired and rehired the previous season, walked out over a lack of signings.

It was a poison chalice of a job but a chance to manage in Serie A.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Palermo were a basket case. They had only just survived relegation the previous season despite or because the owner swapped manager 9 times in the one season.

Those 9 managers meant that Palermo president, Maurizio Zamparini, had hired, fired or lost 59 coaches in 29 years.

De Zerbi took over 2 games into the season after Alessandro Diamanti, who had been fired and rehired the previous season, walked out over a lack of signings.

Ah, was that the start of them dropping through the leagues and financial irregularities.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I struggle to feel bad for Rodgers... got everything he pointed at for years, not enough players developed to be sold to bigger clubs, then they made a £120m deficit and said "sorry man we can't pour more money on you atm" and he behaved like a spoiled kid in a candy store. With that attitude he'd be gone from Brighton after the first transfer window.

Yup, failing in Palermo says nothing really. Task: use the players who had been licking Zamparinis arse, also use the players that had been licking the arse of the Sicilian mafia, and get results. None managed to achieve all of that for a sustained amount of time.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Like (I suspect) most people I know very little about the managers that have allegedly been lined up. All I know is what I’ve seen on the internet and de Zerbi’s record, in that respect, worries the hell out of me. He doesn’t stay very long anywhere either as a player or as a manager and that says- to me- that he’s a trouble maker. I want stability for the Albion and this guy doesn’t seem to provide that. Personally I think that if we could get an agreement with Knutsen to sign him at the end of the Norwegian season I’d be happy to wait until then. Crofts and Lallana can steady the ship till the World Cup comes around.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Like (I suspect) most people I know very little about the managers that have allegedly been lined up. All I know is what I’ve seen on the internet and de Zerbi’s record, in that respect, worries the hell out of me. He doesn’t stay very long anywhere either as a player or as a manager and that says- to me- that he’s a trouble maker. I want stability for the Albion and this guy doesn’t seem to provide that. Personally I think that if we could get an agreement with Knutsen to sign him at the end of the Norwegian season I’d be happy to wait until then. Crofts and Lallana can steady the ship till the World Cup comes around.

And he looks like a chipmunk.

Ze Derby.PNG

de-zerbi-scaled-e1606486079852.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports