Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton Manager?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
This thread is ridiculous. Wtf is this being left open and or not renamed? Genius opening post from the thread creator: “don’t expect Potter to ride this out now”. I mean how can you argue with such a well reasoned opinion?

Yet here we are weeks later, and he has indeed “ridden it out”.

This is completely disrespectful to our current manager who’s doing his best for our club.

I’m sure the “fans” who celebrated West Ham’s equaliser yesterday enjoy this thread as they do the equally appallingly titled “hopefully the end of Connolly”. What a way to treat one of our young players at the start of their career.

There’s a really nasty, entitled, vindictive section of our fanbase at the moment.

Oh get over yourself. It’s a fans forum on social media and this is exactly the type of thread you get on every single teams site when a manager is not winning any football matches.

Where you not here under McGhee? Adams mk2? Hinshelwood? Hyppia? It was exactly the same then and will be exactly the same in the future.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
****sake ....i'll play .....alec ferguson......duh.

having said that it does beggar belief that Bielsa can get his Leeds boys up for a game when he speaks largely through an interpreter.

our failings are all on the pitch at the moment , can't convert chances and cant defend corners despite having , apparently , 2 of the better cb's in the country .....worth noting that a back 4 of dunk , white , webster and burn is all HGP and maybe as such are destined to fail...:lolol:

Last edited:

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Tony Pulis’s Blue and White army has a ring to it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This thread is ridiculous. Wtf is this being left open and or not renamed? Genius opening post from the thread creator: “don’t expect Potter to ride this out now”. I mean how can you argue with such a well reasoned opinion?

This is completely disrespectful to our current manager who’s doing his best for our club.

I’m sure the “fans” who celebrated West Ham’s equaliser yesterday enjoy this thread as they do the equally appallingly titled “hopefully the end of Connolly”. What a way to treat one of our young players at the start of their career.

There’s a really nasty, entitled, vindictive section of our fanbase at the moment.
Or just a bunch of working class lads and lasses pissed off with the soft as shite team we put out every week.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
StevieG.....
Will need to prove himself in the PL before he takes up the red mantle.
Would like some sunshine after those cold Glasgow evenings��

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
This thread IS out of order since we have an incumbent manager and there is no indication that he is leaving. I suspect that even if TB had a mind to change, the finances at the moment make it unlikely. Along with every other club we have haemorrhaged money during the pandemic. Sacking and replacing with a new one is expensive.
Anyway TB believes in him, we might as well accept it

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Thank you for making a suggestion but let's be fair not exactly ripping it up before he was sacked was he?

Well neither was Potter prior to joining us, where were Swansea when he left them? mid table in the Championship?

Bilic did at least get West Brom promoted to the Premier League. Previously he had done a pretty ok job at West Ham too, before being sacked, unfairly in many peoples eyes.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Yeah, this.

Hopefully the new NSC will have a 'thread ignore' so I can take great pleasure in zapping it.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Well neither was Potter prior to joining us, where were Swansea when he left them? mid table in the Championship?

Bilic did at least get West Brom promoted to the Premier League. Previously he had done a pretty ok job at West Ham too, before being sacked, unfairly in many peoples eyes.

All true, but surely to remove Potter at this point when were not even in the bottom three you'd need someone with a significantly better record surely? Somebody guaranteed to do better? Billic has done OK but nothing there to suggest he will do better than Potter has?

If there was to be a change I'd want someone capable of punching above their weight, someone who has done an amazing job with less resources than his peers and one who has a reasonable chance of success. He'd also have to be able to bring players through from the Academy playing in a style that allows them to be sold on to bigger clubs etc etc. In this country not sure there is one currently except perhaps Gareth Ainsworth and the style of play is definitely an issue there.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Amen.

What c*** do they think we’d get to teach players to shoot properly? They should all know how.

Dunk is a worse defender than he has been for 3-4 years, the set up at the back is not good is that players or the system they are being asked to play.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Dunk is a worse defender than he has been for 3-4 years, the set up at the back is not good is that players or the system they are being asked to play.

If the players can't play the system they are being asked to play (for whatever reason) you have two options:-

1) Change the players. Totally impractical. Can't happen

2) Change the system. Only feasible option

A good manager will evaluate the resources at his / her disposal then come up with a system that maximises the strengths of the resources available.

Sticking square pegs into round holes is never going to work.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Makes situation irretrievable ?

I would suggest that Potters problems seem to have begun after he dismantled CHs squad. Not before

The squad needed improving though.Has everyone forgotten the football under Hughton in his last season when Brighton only just about stayed up? I think we would have gone down if not for that terrible Sala tragedy, as Sala would have likely got the goals to keep Cardiff up. Of course we'll never know though.

You may say some areas have got weaker (for me, Duffy's physical presence at the back and the same at the other end with Murray have not been replaced), but Potter did do better than Hughton in his first season in the Premier League (more goals scored, fewer conceded and more points). I can't think of any players that played last season and not this season that I'd want to still have in the starting 11. Duffy maybe the only one, if just for his heading at set pieces (at both ends of the pitch).

At least under Potter you can see the signs are there in building a good team (as all the pundits keep pointing out). It's just that right now some of the players are in terrible form, the club signed injury prone players that can't last 90 minutes or need to be rested, some players Potter doesn't seem to like (which means other players never get dropped = complacency), and he can't seem to sort out the woeful set piece defending (maybe the coaches and players can share the blame for that, but the buck does stop with the manager).

It's going to be a very tough season (more like Hughton's last season than Potter's first season), but if Albion can stay up and sign a decent big center forward and get the set piece defending sorted out I think we will turn a 'corner' next season (pun intended),.especially if we hold onto Bissouma and Lamptey and the 2 Polish 'wonderkids' adjust well to the Premier League.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
I still don't expect Potter to ride this out, he's some good qualities but been found lacking at this level. Suspect TB will give him as long as he can (two months more?) but he must be actively assessing potential replacements right now. No way Potter should be kept on if we're relegated.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018

No it's your blind faith which is myopic. The thread was not started "weeks" ago but nine days ago.

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
The squad needed improving though.Has everyone forgotten the football under Hughton in his last season when Brighton only just about stayed up? I think we would have gone down if not for that terrible Sala tragedy, as Sala would have likely got the goals to keep Cardiff up. Of course we'll never know though.

You may say some areas have got weaker (for me, Duffy's physical presence at the back and the same at the other end with Murray have not been replaced), but Potter did do better than Hughton in his first season in the Premier League (more goals scored, fewer conceded and more points). I can't think of any players that played last season and not this season that I'd want to still have in the starting 11. Duffy maybe the only one, if just for his heading at set pieces (at both ends of the pitch).

At least under Potter you can see the signs are there in building a good team (as all the pundits keep pointing out). It's just that right now some of the players are in terrible form, the club signed injury prone players that can't last 90 minutes or need to be rested, some players Potter doesn't seem to like (which means other players never get dropped = complacency), and he can't seem to sort out the woeful set piece defending (maybe the coaches and players can share the blame for that, but the buck does stop with the manager).

It's going to be a very tough season (more like Hughton's last season than Potter's first season), but if Albion can stay up and sign a decent big center forward and get the set piece defending sorted out I think we will turn a 'corner' next season (pun intended),.especially if we hold onto Bissouma and Lamptey and the 2 Polish 'wonderkids' adjust well to the Premier League.

HMMM I don't think he did better he finished in the same position as CH in his 1st season. Let's see what happens this season hopefully things improve!

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
HMMM I don't think he did better he finished in the same position as CH in his 1st season. Let's see what happens this season hopefully things improve!

Yeah same league position (and after checking, also the same number of goals conceded, not fewer), but 1 point better! Obviously not a massive improvement, but I think most could see the football was better, especially after Hughton's final season in charge.

I'm still not Potter out but he really needs to stop tinkering with the team selection and formation, it seems to me he thinks he's a better manager than he actually is (which inevitably backfires). A target man and some pace on the flanks is needed, other than that he just needs to get back to basics and ease off the possession at all costs' football. And playing no strikers is unforgivable, I don't care if Albion are playing Arsenal or Real Madrid, at least have a striker on the pitch!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here