Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] News of former Albion scholars/trainees/youngsters

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I realise this has every chance of becoming a one-post thread (and maybe even a one-view thread!) but I saw some news today that concerned a couple of former Albion youngsters and thought it was worth sharing.

On Sunday the Sussex County FA host their U-16 schoolboy final (the John Davey Cup) which will be between All Stars Eastbourne and Burgess Hill Town.

The manager of the AS Eastbourne side is Rhyle Ovenden - Rhyle was a schoolboy at Albion (and earned Wales U-16 caps) but was released during his U-16 season of 2013-14. He spent a year at Chesterfield and then trained with Eastbourne Borough before earning a contract at Watford in December 2015. He got an extension for the 2016-17 season. After being released he played for Whitehawk and Worthing where he suffered an ACL tear. He had a brief spell at Tonbridge Angels but then suffered a cruciate ligament injury while playing for Ashford United [Kent] on 1 January 2022.
After a long period of recovery he has returned to playing and scored in the Isthmian League South East at the end of December. He has also added Welsh caps at U-17, U-19 and U-20 levels.
Good to see a younger player (he is still only 25) giving back to the academy where he himself was a player at U-14 level - this is his fifth year with that (now U-16) team.

The manager for his opponents on Sunday is Umberto Oliva - now, I'm not 100% certain that it is OUR Umberto Oliva but we had a trainee of that name between 1991-93. He wasn't offered a professional contract and moved to Crawley Town where he spent three seasons (he also had spells at Horsham and Oakwood). By a very strange coincidence, there was a different Umberto Oliva who was born within a few months of the Albion one who was a trainee at Palace.

If you aware of former Albion youngsters (the more obscure the better) feel free to share on this thread.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I realise this has every chance of becoming a one-post thread (and maybe even a one-view thread!) but I saw some news today that concerned a couple of former Albion youngsters and thought it was worth sharing.

On Sunday the Sussex County FA host their U-16 schoolboy final (the John Davey Cup) which will be between All Stars Eastbourne and Burgess Hill Town.

The manager of the AS Eastbourne side is Rhyle Ovenden - Rhyle was a schoolboy at Albion (and earned Wales U-16 caps) but was released during his U-16 season of 2013-14. He spent a year at Chesterfield and then trained with Eastbourne Borough before earning a contract at Watford in December 2015. He got an extension for the 2016-17 season. After being released he played for Whitehawk and Worthing where he suffered an ACL tear. He had a brief spell at Tonbridge Angels but then suffered a cruciate ligament injury while playing for Ashford United [Kent] on 1 January 2022.
After a long period of recovery he has returned to playing and scored in the Isthmian League South East at the end of December. He has also added Welsh caps at U-17, U-19 and U-20 levels.
Good to see a younger player (he is still only 25) giving back to the academy where he himself was a player at U-14 level - this is his fifth year with that (now U-16) team.

The manager for his opponents on Sunday is Umberto Oliva - now, I'm not 100% certain that it is OUR Umberto Oliva but we had a trainee of that name between 1991-93. He wasn't offered a professional contract and moved to Crawley Town where he spent three seasons (he also had spells at Horsham and Oakwood). By a very strange coincidence, there was a different Umberto Oliva who was born within a few months of the Albion one who was a trainee at Palace.

If you aware of former Albion youngsters (the more obscure the better) feel free to share on this thread.
Very good.. Would be very interested in knowing what happened to youngsters we have released in last few years.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

How far do your records go back - between 1991-93 - I’m amazed!!

Anger

Jul 21, 2017

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Quite a lot of the boys involved in this game play for Sussex Schoolboys u16’s. They are in the national counties final in May. This age group won the national title two years ago with lots of Albion, Palace and Chelsea academy boys, including Harry Howell, Freddie Simmonds and Tyler Silsby. The latter scored the equaliser that day. They won on penalties.

None of the academy contingent feature in the u16 squad. It just goes to show how strong an age group the u16’s are locally!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cracking idea. Trouble is, anything we might come up with, you'll probably post a link to a thread where you've already told us all about him!

Anyway, I'll risk it - this is one I think I mentioned in passing on the Loanee Tracker Thread a while back, but here goes anyway.........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here