Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newhaven-Dieppe Ferry advice please

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
It's a great service! The ferries are lovely. Drinks and food are good and really cheap. Yes, it would be good to have the fast service back, but it's a no-brainer to use it, particularly if you're going to that part of France.

It would be good if they spent a bit of money on the Newhaven port to bring it up to the standard of the Dieppe one. Fingers crossed they will do one day.

Totally agree about the food Notters...we had a really nice meal on there. Think mine was £8? Big serving and good quality too.
Unfortunately agree about the state of Newhaven port compared to Dieppe too....Dieppe is a lovely little town with a good modern port building. Shame we cant say the same thing for this side of the channel.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Taking my bike on the over to Dieppe next weekend for a couple of days of cycling, really looking forward to it.

Day time sailing, so hoping the weather will be good to top up the tan.

Only time I've had a cabin on a ferry was Pompey to Cherboug. After a few jars in the disco and the a dose of sea air, sleeping certianly wasn't a problem :)

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
We used the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry loads of times when we lived in Spain. So much more civilised than Dover - Calais and you only have a short drive to and from Newhaven if you live in this area. Get's my vote every time!

A few years ago, we'd often do a day trip to Dieppe on a Saturday. The market in Dieppe is fantastic and it's a lovely town. But the ferry times have changed now so you don't get long in the town.

I hate the Dover - Calais route. It's a nightmare at the best of times, let alone now with all the problems going on there.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Went on the Stenna line ferry in the early 90s Fantastic food !

After that we used the fast ferry on day trips and the Portsmouth -St Malo with Brittany ferries.

Long trip but you could catch it overnight and sleep on the ferry and be in Loire Valley by afternoon.They used to do 3 night Gite rentals too. Cheese , wine and a log fire ! Happy Days. Doesn't help the OP much though :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Totally agree about the food Notters...we had a really nice meal on there. Think mine was £8? Big serving and good quality too.
Unfortunately agree about the state of Newhaven port compared to Dieppe too....Dieppe is a lovely little town with a good modern port building. Shame we cant say the same thing for this side of the channel.

NPP own both ports but only do up the Dieppe side.

I would still go via the Tunnel but that's my choice. It isn't the migrants causing trouble so much as the striking DFDS workers who keep burning tyres by the tunnel. Operation Stack was in force near the end of June when we travelled, but didn't cause us any problems. I just like the convenience of driving on, 35 minutes later, you drive off again. Loading takes minutes, and exit checks can be done online before you go.

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm just after a bit of advice. I was off to France today with the Eurotunnel but with all the crap going on and 3hr delays leaving Folkstone coupled with Stack on the M20, I've cancelled my ticket. I've booked myself on the Newhaven Dieppe ferry at 17.30 today with a view to getting a bit of kip and driving through the night to make up some time. I've got a cabin with 4 births for myself the misses and the kids. I've last used the Newhaven ferry about 30years ago on a school trip. So any advice would be appreciated, like for instance, do I have to take a blanket and pillows for the births? Are they clean etc? Is there somewhere to get rid of the kids while I have a nap?
Any advice is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Blankets and pillows are provided and yes they are clean. The Ferry is quite basic, you can get food & drink but what more do you need. Cabins have toilet and shower.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
NPP own both ports but only do up the Dieppe side.

I would still go via the Tunnel but that's my choice. It isn't the migrants causing trouble so much as the striking DFDS workers who keep burning tyres by the tunnel. Operation Stack was in force near the end of June when we travelled, but didn't cause us any problems. I just like the convenience of driving on, 35 minutes later, you drive off again. Loading takes minutes, and exit checks can be done online before you go.

'There has been migrant activity disrupting things today, this is a tweet from Eurotunnel this morning:
@LeShuttle: Due to intense migrant activity on and around the French terminal there is currently a wait of 2 hours from our Folkestone terminal. ^CM'

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It's a great service! The ferries are lovely. Drinks and food are good and really cheap. Yes, it would be good to have the fast service back, but it's a no-brainer to use it, particularly if you're going to that part of France.

It would be good if they spent a bit of money on the Newhaven port to bring it up to the standard of the Dieppe one. Fingers crossed they will do one day.

It'll take more than one day. About 5 years more like.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Just got back from riding my motorcycle down to Barcelona and back; Euro tunnel is working dandy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
'There has been migrant activity disrupting things today, this is a tweet from Eurotunnel this morning:
@LeShuttle: Due to intense migrant activity on and around the French terminal there is currently a wait of 2 hours from our Folkestone terminal. ^CM'

Just got back from riding my motorcycle down to Barcelona and back; Euro tunnel is working dandy.

That first tweet doesn't make sense or this one doesn't.
[tweet]624257879957241856[/tweet]

If there were migrant problems, the delay would be at the Calais side, but they're running to schedule.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I use the service around 3 times a year and for getting you to France it's great. Only thing I don't like is how long they take to unload when compared the Dover.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I'm on the ferry now and couldn't be happier, wife and kids are off at the restaurant and I'm getting my head down now for a drive to Dijon when we arrive. The cabins are beyond what I expected. Also I kind of like the chilled out feeling. It's the start of the summer holidays and it's still spacious and not overrun. I'm really pleased I used Newhaven. Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll put the Newhaven Dieppe ferry in the 'will use again' category.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
That first tweet doesn't make sense or this one doesn't.
[tweet]624257879957241856[/tweet]

If there were migrant problems, the delay would be at the Calais side, but they're running to schedule.

Sky news also reported migrants in the French terminal disrupting arriving trains. All in all, glad im on the ferry.
Now for a bit of kip.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here