[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Is it safe for me to say yet that I've not convinced that our keeping position isn't without a few shortcomings ?

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I know someone mentioned this yesterday but I’m just (for my sins) listening to The Final Whistle on BBC Sounds. Why on earth BBC Sussex couldn’t sort out that echo from Adrian Harms any more quickly is beyond me. It did indeed make it hard to listen to - actually maybe that’s not a bad thing!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You are having a laugh aren’t you, Potter sends everyone up and tells them not to put the ball in? I kind of hope he goes, the guy is on a hiding to nothing with so many fans. I genuinely despair at the shit GP gets when he is not given the tools by Bloom.

Maybe it’s just me but the flack he gets because the players aren’t Champion’s League quality is depressing to me
He has the tools just isn’t using them properly, Lamptey is a RWB he’s much more effective running from deeper positions, the same with Cucurella on the left. Maupay Welbeck playing together is our most effective striking options. Macalister hit some form and also scores goals in and out the side. Bissouma by far our best player a couple of bad games dropped against a weak Newcastle side. Tinker man gone wrong.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I only had the radio to go on , and I have just seen the extended highlights.. but it was surely a better performance than the last two games . We huffed and puffed but could only score once . We were undone in a sloppy five minutes and then there was too much to do.
BTW , on the highlights it hurt to see Burn celebrating every goal clearance and roaring his team on - against us.
We could have done with that drive and determination.
Next week is Liverpool, which I have written off points wise, then a three week break . Let’s hope they get themselves together in that time

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I only had the radio to go on , and I have just seen the extended highlights.. but it was surely a better performance than the last two games . We huffed and puffed but could only score once . We were undone in a sloppy five minutes and then there was too much to do.
BTW , on the highlights it hurt to see Burn celebrating every goal clearance and roaring his team on - against us.
Next week is Liverpool, which I have written off points wise, then a three week break . Let’s hope they get themselves together in that time

We do need to at least turn up for Spurs though, four days after Liverpool!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Unfortunately it’s more of a 4 day break as we welcome an inform Harry Kane to the Amex the following Wednesday

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Loving the smell of a Bloom back lash on this thread. Hilarious.

Would seem that it was Dan Ashworth and Dan Burn who were responsible for all the good things we did before the recent run of defeats. It was nothing to do with the rest of the squad.

Yes, we do need to invest in a striker - if you can find one - but it’s the players and coach that need to take a look at themselves. You’ve been worked out boys! You’re powder puff. Sort it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Loving the smell of a Bloom back lash on this thread. Hilarious.

Would seem that it was Dan Ashworth and Dan Burn who were responsible for all the good things we did before the recent run of defeats. It was nothing to do with the rest of the squad.

Yes, we do need to invest in a striker - if you can find one - but it’s the players and coach that need to take a look at themselves. You’ve been worked out boys! You’re powder puff. Sort it out!

If I am one that the Bloom jibe is aimed at, let me clarify. I am not moaning, pointing fingers or blaming GP, the squad or Bloom, just suggesting if people are going to moan, not getting a striker in brings Bloom into the equation

Personally I think we got the rub of the green in the early part of the season, we aren’t anymore. The Burnley opening goal was spectacular, they don’t score many of those. The Villa and Newcastle first goal had an element of fortune (rub of the green) too

If I do have a complaint it’s that we commit too many players in attack early in the game and leave ourselves open to the counter attack. Cucu was really badly outpaced for the first goal yesterday, so we should be more circumspect about leaving players back when the opposition have real pace. Sadly most PL teams have those sort of players. Actually I do have another complaint, the pedestrian build up is OK if we are not losing but not when we are behind.

Overall though I am not in the “let’s slag everyone off when we have a run of defeats” camp.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Better performance yesterday, I thought Dunk looked more like his old self. Hopefully a positive result is just around the corner.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

For me the recent slump is down to too many issues across the squad preventing us playing a consistent quality side.

Biss - out for African nations and now trotting around waiting for a summer transfer

Lallana - after a good run in the side now can’t seem to complete 45min

Welbeck - ditto and can only be used as a bit part striker

Webster - various injuries across the season in and out of the side

Lamptey - clearly both he and the club are worried about his hamstrings and are managing him very carefully limiting his impact

Mwepu - his energy and drive forward in midfield has been lost and had a bigger impact than many of us gave him credit for

Dunk - club captain and a mainstay in our defence out for a long period and now struggling to recapture his form

This has left Potter with fewer choices in an already low budget squad meaning it’s about patching up a side to put on the pitch rather than him picking his best side for the opposition.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Who says he is decent???

Maupay trumps him any day.

Burnley got whacked today, we're you being sarcastic?

What would a striker have to do with letting in 4 goals?

1 in 2 striker in German top division with a lesser team

1 in 2 in Holland

couple of goals and assists already for Burnley.

Not sure what you are basing Maupay trumping him on?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Very well put. I pity those who like this. Footballs about winning and scoring goals not prancing around a green chequers board to no effect as you allude

I'm firmly in Potter In team, for now. But he has to sort this. Yes the mythical super striker would be an answer.

But would that stop Solly breaking down the wing, getting into a good crossing position and 5 passes later end up with Sanchez.
Or Sanchez yesterday, 2-1 down, catching the ball Almost the entire Toon squad in our area and looking for a quick throw to get us on the counter, but no one running so it's kept until they were back in position.
Or 2 players standing over the ball at corners yet the position of the ball telegraphs which one is going to take it.
And so on. That's down to the coach and his lovely possession based football. Which is easy on the eye but doesn't get many goals (the famed XG thingy).
How many goals can you remember us scoring with a blistering counter attack? Vs how many scored against us.

I go to football to get excited. Yes we can get thumped, but now my overriding emotion is frustration.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Well, I was there and all in all it was decent performance and we were unlucky not to grab a point. As others have said we are hugely susceptible to clever passes in the gaps around the WB/CB areas from where nearly all Newcastle’s limited danger stemmed from. GP asks us to play with that high line and thus the counter attack is our Achilles heel. Dunk got sucked into that Bissouma shaped gap for the first, the second was about no one taking responsibility... that was poor, but there was much to praise.

Alzate was a class apart at times and looked like s £50 million player, some of his touches were sublime. It’s great to see him playing where he should. Dunk too looked ‘back’ after his goal, which visibly lifted his performance.

Tross looks unfit, Moder tired and Gross is too slow, in spite of his occasional class.

Welbeck struggled to get anything right, Maupay too looked out of sorts when he came on.

Cucu was imperious at times and gave absolutely everything... March I thought played well too.

GP will get stick, but we should have been level at HT at least, however he needs to fix our tendency to go square and slow for 20 min periods - especially when losing 2-0!

My son loved it though, and hats off the the Albion fans near us who were top supporters and remained positive throughout the match.

Albion

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Well, I was there and all in all it was decent performance and we were unlucky not to grab a point. As others have said we are hugely susceptible to clever passes in the gaps around the WB/CB areas from where nearly all Newcastle’s limited danger stemmed from. GP asks us to play with that high line and thus the counter attack is our Achilles heel. Dunk got sucked into that Bissouma shaped gap for the first, the second was about no one taking responsibility... that was poor, but there was much to praise.

Alzate was a class apart at times and looked like s £50 million player, some of his touches were sublime. It’s great to see him playing where he should. Dunk too looked ‘back’ after his goal, which visibly lifted his performance.

Tross looks unfit, Moder tired and Gross is too slow, in spite of his occasional class.

Welbeck struggled to get anything right, Maupay too looked out of sorts when he came on.

Cucu was imperious at times and gave absolutely everything... March I thought played well too.

GP will get stick, but we should have been level at HT at least, however he needs to fix our tendency to go square and slow for 20 min periods - especially when losing 2-0!

My son loved it though, and hats off the the Albion fans near us who were top supporters and remained positive throughout the match.

Albion

Great match report, Thanks. I only watched on TV but that's exactly how I saw it.
I saw March getting a lot of stick on here but as you say, I thought he was fine.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
For me the recent slump is down to too many issues across the squad preventing us playing a consistent quality side.

Biss - out for African nations and now trotting around waiting for a summer transfer

Lallana - after a good run in the side now can’t seem to complete 45min

Welbeck - ditto and can only be used as a bit part striker

Webster - various injuries across the season in and out of the side

Lamptey - clearly both he and the club are worried about his hamstrings and are managing him very carefully limiting his impact

Mwepu - his energy and drive forward in midfield has been lost and had a bigger impact than many of us gave him credit for

Dunk - club captain and a mainstay in our defence out for a long period and now struggling to recapture his form

This has left Potter with fewer choices in an already low budget squad meaning it’s about patching up a side to put on the pitch rather than him picking his best side for the opposition.

Yup. When you read it like that it’s fairly obvious why we are struggling. That’s our best players in that list- all out or struggling for various reasons. Let’s hope some of the youngsters step up next season- feels like we need some freshness. Some energy. And people we can rely on playing a while game.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Better performance yesterday, I thought Dunk looked more like his old self. Hopefully a positive result is just around the corner.

Agree. Bit of a schoolboy error on the first goal but other than that I thought he was really good, easily his best game since coming back from the injury.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I detest VAR with a passion and am ready to blame it for almost anything.

We were playing well up to and including the Man U game. A very debatable VAR decision in that game sent Dunk off. This might well have cost us points in that game and also the Burnley game as well as delaying his recovery to full match fitness. Also, I am not sure when Webster was injured in that game but it is entirely possible that he would not have been injured if Dunk had not been sent off.

So, everything is VAR's fault......

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016

Albion

Spot on but from the comfort of my sofa. ( I was at the Villa game though…the less said…)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports