[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You’d hope, but never ever underestimate our clubs DNA like ability to turn wine into water. The most talented players in the world could come to Lancing, with the near certain outcome they’d all be performing sooner at Billy Smart's than Wembley. It’s astonishing just how many of our squad cannot score, get a shot on target, test the keeper, take a decent corner, free kick…I’m just surprised we don’t take more foul throws to be honest. We can keep possession well though. Except when we do give it away it’s usually in the back of our net within 2 touches because of where we lost it. With remarkable consistency it seems.

Errmmm ...... actually that's horribly accurate ..................

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So what you’re actually arguing is a point I’m not making? I’ve not once said I want Potter out.

But I do want him to have better options and be a bit goddamn bolder sometimes. I don’t go to football matches to watch great tactical play like a 3D chess match and not care about the result, I want to be excited, attack, score goals and win games. Right now I’m just not getting that, and I don’t think I’m wrong to say so.

Let’s face it, that’s how we got hooked to a club on the first place, as do today’s kids sitting at The Amex with their parents.

A lucky few are instead enthralled watching losing chess matches, fascinated by the work of two coaches pitting their wits against each other. A modern phenomena.

Many others feel a hurt, even if just on the day. It’s normal, an emotional investment in a club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Errmmm ...... actually that's horribly accurate ..................
I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Alzate, Mac Allister, Moder have scored more for their country than they have for the Albion! Let alone at their previous clubs.

It does seem like a conspiracy theory, but players - good players - do seem to stop scoring whe they come to the Albion

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Let’s face it, that’s how we got hooked to a club on the first place, as do today’s kids sitting at The Amex with their parents.

A lucky few are instead enthralled watching losing chess matches, fascinated by the work of two coaches pitting their wits against each other. A modern phenomena.

Many others feel a hurt, even if just on the day. It’s normal, an emotional investment in a club.

We need a relegation to fulfil your wishes :down:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We need a relegation to fulfil your wishes :down:

You’re assuming anyone pissed off is anti-Potter, being loyal to him, overly sensitive to that.

Taking away your allegiance to Potter (I rarely criticise him btw), how did you feel as Burnley and Villa tucked away Amex goals, their fans partied loudly and we flopped at home again, on the way home?

To me, it’s a shite afternoon, thoroughly boring and demoralising, it hurt. On repeat.

Underneath that allegiance, you had/have very clear not all-positive views, heart on sleeve. In the months of losses/draws up to December, you were openly critical of the club in not supporting Potter with transfers upfront. In posting you weren’t happy with Albion things as they stood (but not Potter).

I and others can also be critical, as you were, albeit with a different angle.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You’re assuming anyone pissed off is anti-Potter, being loyal to him, overly sensitive to that.

Taking away your allegiance to Potter (I rarely criticise him btw), how did you feel as Burnley and Villa tucked away Amex goals, their fans partied loudly and we flopped at home again, on the way home?

To me, it’s a shite afternoon, thoroughly boring and demoralising, it hurt. On repeat.

Underneath that allegiance, you had/have very clear not all-positive views, heart on sleeve. In the months of losses/draws up to December, you were openly critical of the club in not supporting Potter with transfers upfront. In posting you weren’t happy with Albion things as they stood (but not Potter).

I and others can also be critical, as you were, albeit with a different angle.

Agreed, I am not enjoying defeat after defeat but there has been fortune in Villa and Toon’s opening goals, Burnley we were outplayed, no argument.

Yeah, I am touchy about the team and GP being slagged off when we didn’t play badly. We all know why we are a bit lightweight in front of goal. Bloom gets off lightly whilst GP and the team get crucified by quite a few on here. The buck stops with Bloom, he needs to take some of the flack if people are going to moan surely?.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed, I am not enjoying defeat after defeat but there has been fortune in Villa and Toon’s opening goals, Burnley we were outplayed, no argument.

Yeah, I am touchy about the team and GP being slagged off when we didn’t play badly. We all know why we are a bit lightweight in front of goal. Bloom gets off lightly whilst GP and the team get crucified by quite a few on here. The buck stops with Bloom, he needs to take some of the flack if people are going to moan surely?.

I agree and I dished out a pile of thumbsups to you when you were posting along those lines in Nov/Dec.

Potter has a small say in transfer strategy and just gets on with his job in a non-political (Mourinho) way.

My instinct today is that he’ll flourish at a top 8 club with the right players for his style of play, but that our budget /boxing-clever on sales will never consistently allow that. Sadly.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Very well put. I pity those who like this. Footballs about winning and scoring goals not prancing around a green chequers board to no effect as you allude

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Very well put. I pity those who like this. Footballs about winning and scoring goals not prancing around a green chequers board to no effect as you allude

Email Barber and tell him to nudge Bloom into opening his cheque book then. THAT is where the problem lies if you want Albion to be a force in the PL

Alternatively name an attainable manager who can deliver what you crave with the current squad

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

For once I agree with your last statement been saying it for a while . This is the premier league always has been about money dig deeper bloom or find someone that can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
In between a series of smaller high and lows eg Coppell, Poyet League One, Barry Lloyd 1990/91, Nelson/Bremner, against a backdrop of land thieves up to 1997.

Always seemed to be mini highs around the corner, even Russell Slade’s miracle.

My EPL point is that despite spending £250m in fees alone, there’ve been sustained periods of utter boredom. Sitting at the Amex and not getting out of my seat, everyone around us joking away for 90 minutes about booze and ignoring a shit fest on the pitch.

I’ll never be that person who’s okay with home defeats, because we strung some lovely passes together or swept up in “we’re on the cusp of something rather special”. We’re not - Hasenhuttl, Lage and Viera are doing just as well or bad on similar budgets.

Hard to please, I miss home wins.
You're not alone. 3 home wins all season, 2 of those several months back, the other plenty wouldn't have been at as it was 8pm Boxing day. I enjoyed the deserved late draws v Palace and Chelsea but last 2 home performances have been dreadful. Not sure how anyone can genuinely dress up our home displays this season as anything other than disappointing. I'm certainly not Potter out but I remember convincing home PL victories under Hughton at home. Certainly don't remember many under Potter

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
You're not alone. 3 home wins all season, 2 of those several months back, the other plenty wouldn't have been at as it was 8pm Boxing day. I enjoyed the deserved late draws v Palace and Chelsea but last 2 home performances have been dreadful. Not sure how anyone can genuinely dress up our home displays this season as anything other than disappointing. I'm certainly not Potter out but I remember convincing home PL victories under Hughton at home. Certainly don't remember many under Potter

And folk moan about the atmosphere being flat at home. We've been shyte at home for years now - hardly going to be rocking with our win and goals scored record. So little to excite the crowd bar the odd game - often the atmosphere starts decent too but then fades away as we again fail to create much in the opening 20 mins or so bar perhaps 1 classic missed golden chance and everyone starts thinking ah, here we go again

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

2.5 years ago, Albion 3-0 Spuds and outplaying them was the Amex highlight for me under Potter.

A possession based game at home is there to be stifled and counter attacked, without incredible forwards, unfortunately. The other 19 managers are fully briefed and know exactly what to do.

If only we could play Watford every week!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Home 17 hours later. Bugger. That's why we go though! To get excited about our team who looked bloody good after we'd gifted Newcastle 3 points after 12 mins. Grrr.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We shot ourselves in the foot conceding two sloppy goals but hey ho Uncle Ray was in great form on the train back from St Pancras

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Email Barber and tell him to nudge Bloom into opening his cheque book then. THAT is where the problem lies if you want Albion to be a force in the PL

Alternatively name an attainable manager who can deliver what you crave with the current squad

Who’s got time to email PB, more so read his reply? But should I or you do so, I’m sure the Albion would already know anyone I named. Moreover have a well informed opinion, likely better than most. Especially as part of contingency planning should we part company with GP whatever the reason. It is however within the realm of possibilities that A.N.Other out there might do better. It happens quite often you see, in football, after managers are replaced. Hence why they are replaced. Anyway, it’s a daft suggestion and all hypothetical - I know TB so why would I email PB? Duh…! :kiss:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports