[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I too went last week for first time in a while having read the club memo about wanting more fans to watch on TV than in person. And what a treat it was. For the umpteenth time in recent seasons, I was reminded about how we cannot shoot on target let alone score a goal. It’s a good job tickets are so hard to come by each week because of our fanatical STH culture. As the rows of empty seats on TV show.

Bet I beat you in getting home :smile:. Left very early, thought I’d be alone …. only to be met by many thousands of others.

Reminded me of the mass exodus when Bmuff made it 0-3 in the 0-5.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Point of interest, are you blaming Potter for that?

Well it’s someone who has decided that’s the way to go, if not Potter then someone. I refuse to believe it’s an individual player decision as they all play that way, cautious possession-first. It’s like they’re terrified of what will happen if they try something that goes wrong. That has to be cultural.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well it’s someone who has decided that’s the way to go, if not Potter then someone. I refuse to believe it’s an individual player decision as they all play that way, cautious possession-first. It’s like they’re terrified of what will happen if they try something that goes wrong. That has to be cultural.

You are having a laugh aren’t you, Potter sends everyone up and tells them not to put the ball in? I kind of hope he goes, the guy is on a hiding to nothing with so many fans. I genuinely despair at the shit GP gets when he is not given the tools by Bloom.

Maybe it’s just me but the flack he gets because the players aren’t Champion’s League quality is depressing to me

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Point of interest, are you blaming Potter for that?

Well clearly this is what he’s coaching them as it happens week after week . Gross one arm up in the air at corners lands different door every time [emoji23]wtf is that about
Bruno ad our striking coach can’t be right either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
How the **** are we still way in front of them this season? Flawed logic there

I wasn't making a specific comparison, just an observation.

Dyche is a more successful PL manager, more experienced granted and arguably has worked with tighter purse strings.

This season thay've been gash, as they were with European distraction, they'll fight and survive this season

They bought a striker remember. Madness!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well clearly this is what he’s coaching them as it happens week after week . Gross one arm up in the air at corners lands different door every time [emoji23]wtf is that about
Bruno ad our striking coach can’t be right either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are one of the most of the most anti Potter posters on here, who would you like as our manager?

Genuine question

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Because that’s how Potter wants them taken, it’s worked so well now for what 3 seasons so why would you change it?! Next you’ll be expecting us to clear the first man from corners. You ask the IMPOSSIBLE!
I'm just hoping that one day Gross will raise the wrong arm by mistake - he will realise his error just as he is about to take tge corner and in his panic will unleash an inswinging ball that completely panics the defence. Better to pass it to the first man - they'll then give us time to get back and re-group.

Usually .....

well, hopefully ......................

.....surely sometimes?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I wasn't making a specific comparison, just an observation.

Dyche is a more successful PL manager, more experienced granted and arguably has worked with tighter purse strings.

This season thay've been gash, as they were with European distraction, they'll fight and survive this season

They bought a striker remember. Madness!

Yeah, get your cheque book out GP :lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Bet I beat you in getting home :smile:. Left very early, thought I’d be alone …. only to be met by many thousands of others.

Reminded me of the mass exodus when Bmuff made it 0-3 in the 0-5.

You did, I got home just before 9pm having taken pity on others who watched the same dross and faced lengthy bus replacement services home so ended up dropping friends off all over north Sussex and Surrey. To be honest, it was the highlight of the day. It occurred to me that, basically, Uber drivers have more fun than Albion Season Ticket holders.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You are having a laugh aren’t you, Potter sends everyone up and tells them not to put the ball in? I kind of hope he goes, the guy is on a hiding to nothing with so many fans. I genuinely despair at the shit GP gets when he is not given the tools by Bloom.

Maybe it’s just me but the flack he gets because the players aren’t Champion’s League quality is depressing to me

So who is to blame for having everyone in the box but not crossing it in your book?

I’m not blaming Potter for that individual decision, it’s the culture of ball retention over all else. It’s why we get free kicks and throw ins in the opposition half which inevitably end up back with Sanchez. We even did it with a corner against Villa. Being risk-averse is fine but sometimes you’ve just got to put it in the mixer and see what happens, which we don’t do often enough. Hell half the time our forward players seem to prefer to pass rather than shoot when finding themselves in forward positions. Ironically except Bissouma who’s shooting is surprisingly mediocre.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So who is to blame for having everyone in the box but not crossing it in your book?

I’m not blaming Potter for that individual decision, it’s the culture of ball retention over all else. It’s why we get free kicks and throw ins in the opposition half which inevitably end up back with Sanchez. We even did it with a corner against Villa. Being risk-averse is fine but sometimes you’ve just got to put it in the mixer and see what happens, which we don’t do often enough. Hell half the time our forward players seem to prefer to pass rather than shoot when finding themselves in forward positions. Ironically except Bissouma who’s shooting is surprisingly mediocre.

I don’t have the answer but I cannot think of another realistic manager I’d rather have :shrug:

Not sure any of the moaners do either, if they do they are keeping it to themselves.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Can't speak for everyone but I don't give a hoot that the players aren't CL quality. I'm hacked off at losing 4 in a sodding row. We're just venting.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don’t have the answer but I cannot think of another realistic manager I’d rather have :shrug:

Not sure any of the moaners do either, if they do they are keeping it to themselves.

So what you’re actually arguing is a point I’m not making? I’ve not once said I want Potter out.

But I do want him to have better options and be a bit goddamn bolder sometimes. I don’t go to football matches to watch great tactical play like a 3D chess match and not care about the result, I want to be excited, attack, score goals and win games. Right now I’m just not getting that, and I don’t think I’m wrong to say so.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So what you’re actually arguing is a point I’m not making? I’ve not once said I want Potter out.

But I do want him to have better options and be a bit goddamn bolder sometimes. I don’t go to football matches to watch great tactical play like a 3D chess match and not care about the result, I want to be excited, attack, score goals and win games. Right now I’m just not getting that, and I don’t think I’m wrong to say so.

Maybe vent at Bloom for not giving GP the forwards he needs?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe vent at Bloom for not giving GP the forwards he needs?

I have several times, but Potter did say he was happy with the squad, and he still has to get what he can out of these players. No manager gets what they want without question (unless they’re Ferguson, Guardiola or Klopp).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The team always plays in a manner that suggests 'film review day' at the club concentrates more on losing possession than anything else.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I have several times, but Potter did say he was happy with the squad, and he still has to get what he can out of these players. No manager gets what they want without question (unless they’re Ferguson, Guardiola or Klopp).

True and we have been punching above our weight this season, there are quite a few clubs whose fans would be very happy with 33 points from a team who have been in a relegation struggle every season they have been in the PL.

We are in a poor run and it could well continue given our up coming fixtures. I accept it, your choice if you don’t but we are in danger of becoming very entitled imo.

Sadly I think there are too many fans on here who love being proved right in us being a bit average at this level and show little enthusiasm when we do well. Constantly sneering at those of us that get enthusiastic when we have a good run.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm just hoping that one day Gross will raise the wrong arm by mistake - he will realise his error just as he is about to take tge corner and in his panic will unleash an inswinging ball that completely panics the defence. Better to pass it to the first man - they'll then give us time to get back and re-group.

Usually .....

well, hopefully ......................

.....surely sometimes?

You’d hope, but never ever underestimate our clubs DNA like ability to turn wine into water. The most talented players in the world could come to Lancing, with the near certain outcome they’d all be performing sooner at Billy Smart's than Wembley. It’s astonishing just how many of our squad cannot score, get a shot on target, test the keeper, take a decent corner, free kick…I’m just surprised we don’t take more foul throws to be honest. We can keep possession well though. Except when we do give it away it’s usually in the back of our net within 2 touches because of where we lost it. With remarkable consistency it seems.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You did, I got home just before 9pm having taken pity on others who watched the same dross and faced lengthy bus replacement services home so ended up dropping friends off all over north Sussex and Surrey. To be honest, it was the highlight of the day. It occurred to me that, basically, Uber drivers have more fun than Albion Season Ticket holders.

:bowdown: stalwart.

By contrast, I was relaxing by 5pm.

91469D1D-7346-41A2-8B16-2788242FCD67.png

Yeah, I know, I need to cut back on tabacco.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
According to the Telegraph Duffy scored for Brighton today. Everyone else thinks it was Dunk.

Are they really that difficult to tell apart?Screenshot_20220305-201553.jpg

Other than that, the report tell us what everyone on here knows!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports