Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Like that selection. Glad to see Alzate and Welbz with Gross providing much needed quality delivery it could be a good day. Moder has to score with a deflection off his arse soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Would obviously love to see a win, but I fear we will be well beaten.
Just a feeling.???

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
We'll lose this, Wood or Burn to score. Wood ALWAYS scores against us. We are still safe mind you, no chance of us going down.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Awful line-up. Tempted to go home now rather than walk to St James'

Potter has rung the changes. Very few players from the last two home games deserve to start. I’m really pleased that he has got Alzate starting, he was stunning in the home game to Chelsea when Biss was not available. Groß should add some intelligence into the midfield and Cucu & Lamptey have license to bomb forward with a back 3 in place.

If players like Welbeck, Tross and Moder turn up, we should do well.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
and Cucu & Lamptey have license to bomb forward with a back 3 in place.

They haven't been doing that though, even with a back three. Cucurella has had a couple of subpar performances and Lamptey hasn't been the player he was before the injury.

In Lamptey's case, he's just been marked out of games. Still manages to produce a few crosses (usually our biggest goalscoring threat), but it is infuriating how often they get to good positions, stop, check back and pass sideways to a weaker position than they were in.

I want to see Lamptey try and go by his man every time, not one in ten. Cucurella doesn't have that option, but a little bit more positivity is welcome.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting eleven. Big day for Alzate but also for Welbeck who needs to perform today if he wants to escape the sub role.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Potter has rung the changes. Very few players from the last two home games deserve to start. I’m really pleased that he has got Alzate starting, he was stunning in the home game to Chelsea when Biss was not available. Groß should add some intelligence into the midfield and Cucu & Lamptey have license to bomb forward with a back 3 in place.

If players like Welbeck, Tross and Moder turn up, we should do well.

Yep, glad he's changed it up. We've stunk out the last two game and Alzate for Biss makes sense in that context.

Hopefully dropping Maupay gives him some hunger for goals back as, in the past, all it's done is knock his confidence. However, he was poor last week anyway.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The inclusion of Wellbeck suggests we will be trying to get Lamptey and Cucurella high up the pitch, Alzate is great at moving the ball with pace and purpose and Groß offers a set piece danger which with dunk and duffy in the side is needed.

Would be great if Trossard can shake off his recent performances and offer a threat.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
They haven't been doing that though, even with a back three. Cucurella has had a couple of subpar performances and Lamptey hasn't been the player he was before the injury.

In Lamptey's case, he's just been marked out of games. Still manages to produce a few crosses (usually our biggest goalscoring threat), but it is infuriating how often they get to good positions, stop, check back and pass sideways to a weaker position than they were in.

I want to see Lamptey try and go by his man every time, not one in ten. Cucurella doesn't have that option, but a little bit more positivity is welcome.

Because getting players to do the exact same thing every time, even when not in a good position to do so is definitely the way ahead :thumbsup:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Because getting players to do the exact same thing every time, even when not in a good position to do so is definitely the way ahead :thumbsup:

Yet that's exactly what we do presently by recycling possession in wide positions, with zero chance of scoring as the net outcome.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Potter has rung the changes. Very few players from the last two home games deserve to start.

I do have some sympathy with that argument. However, if that were the logic you were going by, our BEST players in those games were MacAllister and March, and they are two dropped :shrug:

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
The inclusion of Wellbeck suggests we will be trying to get Lamptey and Cucurella high up the pitch, Alzate is great at moving the ball with pace and purpose and Groß offers a set piece danger which with dunk and duffy in the side is needed.

Would be great if Trossard can shake off his recent performances and offer a threat.
Yes, I see this as a positive change.
I think having Lamptey and Cucurella as wing backs only makes sense if they have a target man in the middle to aim for.
And perversely, Burn is not always great in the air, so can see Welbeck getting in front of him for crosses.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Anyone able to connect to audio on MyAlbion? I've got Radio Sussex at moment but will cut out at match time as I'm not in the county.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Gonna try and change this up! Haven’t posted on a match day thread for months, though I follow most games on here whilst listening or watching the games. (Far too much negativity especially if we go behind) so let’s have some support and positivity from us on here and hope this team wants it as much as we all do !
COME ON ALBION !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here