Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle - Gamesmanship

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
So, the article below talks up Eddie Howe as the 'new Simone'. I can't stand fawning articles and pundits banging on about 'clever' fouls and 'great game management'. It's deception pure and straightforward, cheating. I was enraged by Aston Villa's antics at the Amex, similarly, I can't stand Newcastle's Pope going down "injured". Wankers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So, the article below talks up Eddie Howe as the 'new Simone'. I can't stand fawning articles and pundits banging on about 'clever' fouls and 'great game management'. It's deception pure and straightforward, cheating. I was enraged by Aston Villa's antics at the Amex, similarly, I can't stand Newcastle's Pope going down "injured". Wankers.

The basic premise of the article - that there is something new about any of this - is nonsense. Eddie Howe has always been a snide ****, and his previous teams have always done all this.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Been watching a few A-League game highlights recently and they are having 8, 9, 10 or more minutes added on most games it seems. I guess following on from the WC, but in some way it might help to reduce time wasting.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No problem with tactical fouling as the referee can give out cards, but the going down faking a head injury and other injuries to stop the flow of the game are ones that boil my blood. It won't be long before a player has a serious head injury but the ref waves play on as that team have a reputation for cheating in this area.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Considering the fact we've really upped our game in this department it's probably best we don't throw too many stones in this glass house.
We are not even close to the level of sh*thousery deployed by the Saudis and Villa. I am however disappointed by some of our dives recently, Pervis and even Saint Karou have been guilty of this and we should be looking to get rid of it.

Refs simply have to be stricter in adding on the time if they stop the play, do that and you at least eliminate the time aspect if not the breaking up of play aspect.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No problem with tactical fouling as the referee can give out cards, but the going down faking a head injury and other injuries to stop the flow of the game are ones that boil my blood. It won't be long before a player has a serious head injury but the ref waves play on as that team have a reputation for cheating in this area.
This is one of many that gets me….the authorities have brought in guidance for the refs re head injuries to protect the players, who are now abusing it.

As regards to another poster who mentioned how we feel about diving by our own players….hate it and I don’t think we seem to be very good at it either

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can’t actually believe that article is claiming Howe has changed tactics and recently started doing this. His teams have always played like that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really? I don't think we're anything like them.
I didn't say we were, I said we've "upped our game".

We dive, we tactical foul, we time waste, we surround the ref, all rather new to Passive and Hove Albion.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
We are not even close to the level of sh*thousery deployed by the Saudis and Villa. I am however disappointed by some of our dives recently, Pervis and even Saint Karou have been guilty of this and we should be looking to get rid of it.

Refs simply have to be stricter in adding on the time if they stop the play, do that and you at least eliminate the time aspect if not the breaking up of play aspect.
As we will see in the Rugby 6Nations, just stop the clock for every injury and substitution, then this time wasting becomes pointles

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can’t actually believe that article is claiming Howe has changed tactics and recently started doing this. His teams have always played like that.
To you and HKFC, it's not a case of either-or, it's a case of him intensifying some and finding new avenues, which he learnt from the one that dresses up entirely in black and performs stupendously on the touchline (Snide/Smug is yet to learn to do that).

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Been watching a few A-League game highlights recently and they are having 8, 9, 10 or more minutes added on most games it seems. I guess following on from the WC, but in some way it might help to reduce time wasting.
So many teams know that every sub is 30 seconds added but never given , the keepers know the 6 second rule wont be enforced , and the sudden attack of cramp will be enough to con the ref into checking the player , which in turn never sees the time fully added , not to forget to have one presumably pre-picked player to go down randomly at corners and/or set-pieces to break up play even without being touched .

If it takes adding on 10 minutes to stop this crap i say do it , football is far better when it is unscripted , coaches that teach these time wasting tactics are a disgrace .

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022

Amazing isn't it. 2 years ago its just a bunch of cheats. Add some Saudi billions and its gamesmanship

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't say we were, I said we've "upped our game".

We dive, we tactical foul, we time waste, we surround the ref, all rather new to Passive and Hove Albion.
There have been a few dives recently, but still less than most PL teams. All teams, including us, have done a bit of time wasting when hanging on at the end. We've tactical fouled more than most teams for a long time, picking up plenty of yellows as punishment. And I doubt we surround the ref as much as most. Liverpool should have had 2 people sent of the other day, and we barely moaned.

It's nothing like these specific tactics being employed by Newcastle.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Would just say Sean Dyche - Burnley ...its not new. ..oh, Wimbledon too of old.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here