Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] New Zealand vs. England 2nd Test Cello Basin Reserve, Wellington

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Not sure I love Bazball being played at all costs. This Test I would have liked to see us NOT enforce the follow on but bat up a lead of 500 and put them in on a fifth day pitch without a chance of winning. It would have ensured a series away win . We will probably chase down the runs tomorrow but unfortunately we have given NZ a glimmer of hope - especially if we collapse before lunch :unsure:
Don't have to go daft tomorrow, less than 2.5 an over needed over three sessions and loads more overs before the new ball, no need to throw the bat but about time Robinson got a ton I say! :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure I love Bazball being played at all costs. This Test I would have liked to see us NOT enforce the follow on but bat up a lead of 500 and put them in on a fifth day pitch without a chance of winning. It would have ensured a series away win . We will probably chase down the runs tomorrow but unfortunately we have given NZ a glimmer of hope - especially if we collapse before lunch :unsure:
Think they were expecting more time to be lost to rain, so enforcing in theory gave us a chance of a quicker win ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The conditions made the follow on a sensible option. Bowlers at the ready, cloudy overhang.

It appears that what they didn't take into account is that the third innings is usually the best in Wellington. The pitch settles down as the match goes on.

Still, hindsight and all that. Unwittingly they have set up a thriller. I won't be bothered if NZ create some history here. Unless the weather intervenes we will see an exciting result either way.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the days of him bowling long spells are over, he's OK with the bat as he doesn't often have to run them...
He's only 31. And when you say long spells - he bowled 2 overs out of 162. It's like he's retired.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nah. After their first innings we were not expecting them to bat so well and score nearly 500. The follow on was the right decision, and despite their excellent second innings we should still win.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Live update.
16775283580001636823058587694008.jpg
Weather looking good for the day

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe they'll play for the draw...

:lol:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
He's only 31. And when you say long spells - he bowled 2 overs out of 162. It's like he's retired.

No, I'm talking about the future, if you have Anderson, Broad and Robinson (and Archer and Wood waiting in the wings) why would you bowl yourself into the ground when you have a dodgy knee?

Anyway back to the game, less than 200 needed now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What the hell was that?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Great Test match. Pitch not looking easy at the moment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, I'm talking about the future, if you have Anderson, Broad and Robinson (and Archer and Wood waiting in the wings) why would you bowl yourself into the ground when you have a dodgy knee?

Because Archer and Wood aren't in this test, and it wasn't working for Anderson and Broad, so it makes sense to try something different. That doesn't mean bowling himself into the ground, just bowling some overs. But if his knee is too bad to even do that, then that's the answer.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I said on Friday I was concerned we'd handed them 50 runs in that declaration. I'd be even more concerned now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here