Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] New Zealand v England 1st Test

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Dig in boys. 60/1 at lunch would be fine.

Great call, now 102/1 at drinks at the halfway mark. Burns looking shaky after a blow on the head and a nick that bisected first and second slip, now given not out on umpire's call after review but hitting top of the stumps.

Denly looking good for his 33, Sibley a concern as all 22 of his runs scored on the on side, as soon as they worked him out he was in trouble.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Burns brings up his 50 with a nice clipped on-drive, then gives a thin edge to the keeper. England will take that knock, nice to see Root coming out to bat in the 46th over and not fighting another fire.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's a slightly above par score. Incredibly promising though that we're playing batsmen who understand that if you manage to leave the ball well and mainly look to score off the bad ball it makes it so much easier for the shotmakers down the innings to get you a decent score, which in turn makes it easier for your bowlers to put their bats under pressure.

Hope it's not another false dawn

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
An overdue change in mentality for the batsmen has created a decent platform, now get to 400 and put ourselves in the driving seat.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
An overdue change in mentality for the batsmen has created a decent platform, now get to 400 and put ourselves in the driving seat.

If only the change of mentality had happened 4 months ago. Oh well

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Glad I have not paid to watch this, jeez 35-0 off 15 overs..... it's 1956 all over again !

There's some Abu Dhabi T10 filth on Freeview maybe more your cup of tea...

Qalanders are 98-2 off 6

3 Sussex players in their side and Tom Banton of Somerset got 80 off 28 :ohmy:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just on Root's innings. Half an hour of blocking, then he gets off the mark with a two, then immediately fends one to slip. He played like a bloke under pressure, really disappointing. Never mind dropping down to 4, if the lad Pope works out there's an argument for Root batting 5.

I hope in his second innings we're in a commanding position and he can relax and play his natural game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just on Root's innings. Half an hour of blocking, then he gets off the mark with a two, then immediately fends one to slip. He played like a bloke under pressure, really disappointing. if the lad Pope works out there's an argument for Root batting 5.

I hope in his second innings we're in a commanding position and he can relax and play his natural game.

If that works out how about him being 12th man.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Would love to see Pope making some big runs, think this kid has some serious talent and could be a real prospect

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Captaincy hasn't helped but he's still our best batsman. Remember what happened with Cook. Joe will turn it round.

I feel Root just needs one of the other top order batsmen to chip in with the occasional ton. We were truly blessed with the era of Trescothick, Vaughan, Bell, Pietersen and Strauss - 5 of our all-time Top 20 most prolific test centurions. I'd be surprised if any of Burns, Sibley or Denly get anywhere near the Top 50.

Just for those who like their stats, has anyone noticed Stokes is playing his 58th test - 8 centuries, 20 half-centuries, all identical to the great Tony Greig who he overtook in runs scored when he reached 7 in his current innings.

Greig bagged 141 wickets at 32.2, Stokes is on 135 at 32.7. If he can bag 6-120 in this match he'll be virtually identical to the great man in both batting and bowling.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I feel Root just needs one of the other top order batsmen to chip in with the occasional ton. We were truly blessed with the era of Trescothick, Vaughan, Bell, Pietersen and Strauss - 5 of our all-time Top 20 most prolific test centurions. I'd be surprised if any of Burns, Sibley or Denly get anywhere near the Top 50.

Just for those who like their stats, has anyone noticed Stokes is playing his 58th test - 8 centuries, 20 half-centuries, all identical to the great Tony Greig who he overtook in runs scored when he reached 7 in his current innings.

Greig bagged 141 wickets at 32.2, Stokes is on 135 at 32.7. If he can bag 6-120 in this match he'll be virtually identical to the great man in both batting and bowling.

Only Stokes WILL make them GROVEL.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You'd never finish a match on a Sunday at this scoring rate. This must be a deliberate attempt to make The One Hundred look exciting ! Currently we have scored 50 runs off 126 balls, they must be leaving in droves.

I enjoyed it up till lunch. Anyway why are you moaning.... you’re in bed by 9-30

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Stats. Yesterday was the first time Australia have not taken a wicket before lunch when bowling first in a Test at the Gabba. Pakistan 57-0. They made up for it after lunch unfortunately....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
277/5 Stokes out for 91

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here