Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Got back from there on sunday had an amazing time stayed 81st street west next to central park and the natural history museum in the excelsior hotel which was good and the room was very spacious.subway at the end of the road 2mins your in the center of the city.the weather was great got away with a hoodie and tee shirt all week.would recommend going to the top of the rock at night time.statue of lib I went to the top but to be fair wasn t worth it just as good down the bottom.i was told this on a thread on here but choose to do it anyway.should have listened.empire state worth a look but again top of the rock is better.highly recommend going to radio city to see the rockettes best show I ve ever seen and ice skating at central park with the city as a back drop is just amazing wish I could have stayed longer

Attachments

• IMG_20151210_181525452.jpg
    IMG_20151210_181525452.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd recommend staying in West Village.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I've seen a couple of recommendations on here about hotels on 8th and in the high 40s round Times Sq. I would recommend east Midtown as a better alternative. It's about 15 mins walk to Central Park and much less touristy. There are some excellent restaurants on 2nd and 3rd (PJ Clarkes on 55th and 3rd is an absolute must) which tend to be frequented by discerning locals as well as some lively sports bars. Subway downturn easy too from 53rd and Lex.

Everyone has their favourite bit of NY but this is mine

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
LWS is right we all have our fave bit..............But east midtown you are closer to the UN district and as such will pay more for almost everything from hotels to food and beer.

I would stay on 5th 6th 7th below Madison Square Garden.... or go boutique in Soho or West Village.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
.. or go boutique in Soho or West Village.

I second this especially if visiting with a partner. These areas are lovely to just wander around arm in arm popping into little shops and restaurants cafés etc.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens is nice if there for a few days, an excellent escape from the hustle and bustle. Probably best enjoyed in late summer though.

Can be paired with Brooklyn Museum and trainer shopping at Kith.

I stayed in Williamsburg, just round the corner from Bedford Avenue subway (10 minutes into midtown) and loved it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Got back from there on sunday had an amazing time stayed 81st street west next to central park and the natural history museum in the excelsior hotel which was good and the room was very spacious.subway at the end of the road 2mins your in the center of the city.the weather was great got away with a hoodie and tee shirt all week.would recommend going to the top of the rock at night time.statue of lib I went to the top but to be fair wasn t worth it just as good down the bottom.i was told this on a thread on here but choose to do it anyway.should have listened.empire state worth a look but again top of the rock is better.highly recommend going to radio city to see the rockettes best show I ve ever seen and ice skating at central park with the city as a back drop is just amazing wish I could have stayed longer

Great photo by the way

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens is nice if there for a few days, an excellent escape from the hustle and bustle. Probably best enjoyed in late summer though.

Can be paired with Brooklyn Museum and trainer shopping at Kith.

I stayed in Williamsburg, just round the corner from Bedford Avenue subway (10 minutes into midtown) and loved it.
Last time I went 18 months ago, we rented an apartment for 5 days in Park Slope,... the 5th Ave vibe in that part of Brooklyn is superb.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Loads of awesome things to do, many that people have already mentioned. Almost too may too mention.

Personally I'd get the cable car over to Rooosevelt Island, there's nothing to do there other than get back on and come back, but the views are good and its kind of cool to do.

Also I loved this macaroni cheese place, its not fancy, but it's damn tasty http://www.smacnyc.com/

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Go to the West Village and have a beer or two in The Blind Tiger Ale House http://www.blindtigeralehouse.com

Then go to The Spotted Pig for dinner http://www.thespottedpig.com

She'll be putty in your hands afterwards I guarantee. Frau Tubthumper was..... but I think I'd bored her into submission droning on about the craft beer.

My wife liked it enough in the Blind Tiger but our friend ......a Fosters drinking w.anker sulked so much in there that he couldn't get a pint of tasteless lager that I didn't stay as long as I wanted. Always next time though I guess.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Eat at Keens Old English Chop house. .... I always eat there each time I go... it's superb quality and a great experience.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Another beer plug, but go and do the Brooklyn Brewery tour for some tasty beer.

Then head on over to Barcade, for a fantastic selection of US craft beers, and 80's arcade machines. A productive way of wasting and afternoon I say.

Can't remember the name of the hotel I stayed in, was near the Empire State Building. Half hotel and half single mums shelter. So bumped into several NY teeny mums. Was interesting when fathers came to visit one day. Lots of yelling and general "you don't give my kid, sheeeet"
A lively experience :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another beer plug, but go and do the Brooklyn Brewery tour for some tasty beer.

Then head on over to Barcade, for a fantastic selection of US craft beers, and 80's arcade machines. A productive way of wasting and afternoon I say.

Sound advice. You can combine this with a trip to the previously mentioned Fette Sau and some vinyl shopping in Rough Trade.

What more do you want?

Jlburak

Dec 27, 2015
New York
Two others to add to your list: bar bacon (9th avenue in west 50s) and Kiabacca (pizza parlor with good beer selection on 46 and tenth).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here