Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta

A week is more than enough to explore new york city. OP should visit for 3-4 days, perhaps travel up to Toronto. Budget airline to the Gulf states/Midwest. That's just my opinion. I like to move around. NYC is a great city. It just depends on what you want to do with your time.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
chinatown is cheap to stay in.

goto brooklyn and hang out - for me, manhatten is boring unless you into seeing large buildings and busyness.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A week is more than enough to explore new york city. OP should visit for 3-4 days, perhaps travel up to Toronto. Budget airline to the Gulf states/Midwest. That's just my opinion. I like to move around. NYC is a great city. It just depends on what you want to do with your time.

I have to totally disagree. 3-4 days is just the beginning. It's an amazing city, one of the best I have visited and I never tire of the place. 3-4 and you don't even scratch the surface.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I have to totally disagree. 3-4 days is just the beginning. It's an amazing city, one of the best I have visited and I never tire of the place. 3-4 and you don't even scratch the surface.

True. I definitely agree that NYC is an amazing city! I guess I have visited/stopped over many times, so I find it all to be a bit 'samey' after a while. How about a week and half in NYC and then a road trip to the west coast in two weeks? The USA is huge. Superb roads. Superb views. Superb hospitality (most of the time)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
this place is mental - you get people posting clueless time warp crap about the old kent road and football clubs in the greatest city in the world just 50 miles away, yet everyone is a native new yawker at heart. new yorks a pile of old ****. been there countless times never seen simon and garfunkel woody allen or the kids from fame dancing on top of cars. total swizz.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Start checking websites now for any good deals. I stayed in the financial district last time which is about 15 mins away from Midtown but I had a great hotel deal right opposite the twin towers site. Try Hotel bookings.com and others. I think that the Summer months are cheaper (not 100% sure though( because of the heat and humidity whereas Oct and especially November is more pricey due to the marathon and pre Xmas Shopping. Fantastic city and DO go to the Staue of Liberty and the Natural History Museum. Other ideas are:-

1. Grand Central Station
2. Toys R Us store in Midtown (Ferris wheel in the shop!)
3. Museums
4. Guggenhiem
5. Boat trip around the Hudson
6. Empire State
7. 9/11 site
8. Chinatown for a meal/night out
9. Wall Street
10. Night time tour/midnight diner

Have fun!

Completely off topic question for everyone. My boyfriend and I are thinking about visiting New York next year, has anyone got any advice for decent places to stay without spending a fortune? We would probably be talking about next May to enable us to save our money up and then I will be able to go out of British school holidays hopefully making flying cheaper.
Thanks

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

I've lived in New York for four years and sometimes I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of this great city

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Not often I agree with you HT, but I have been six times, five days shortest, ten days longest, each time concentrating on different themes, and I still want more because there is still much more to see and do. It depends what time of year you go too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not often I agree with you HT, but I have been six times, five days shortest, ten days longest, each time concentrating on different themes, and I still want more because there is still much more to see and do. It depends what time of year you go too.

Ha ha. First time for everything :smile: Totally agree and similar to me. I have spent a total of 1 and a half months there over the years. My thing these days is wandering around neighbourhoods and NYC is brilliant for this. I'm quite envious of Lyndhurst for being able to live there.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Thank god the discussion is on NY districts not London, otherwise somerset, would be moaning about Barnes again, traffic too slow, wrong part of the river, not as good as Putney.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here