Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York V London

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm going for NY. Main reasons being I prefer the restaurants (still haven't found a comparable NY steakhouse in London), it is more down to earth, cheaper and 4 high quality sports are readily available to watch live.
Having spent long periods of time in both, no comparison. Everything bigger, better and cheap in New York.
I heard that property was more expensive per square metre in New York. Sport is better in London too. Let's not pretend US sports count.

I like New York a lot though.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Followed by a trip to Hogs, of course.

Sadly Hogs and Heffers shut a while ago - no more bikini clad beauties with megaphones walking across the bar in high heels, end of an era!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sadly Hogs and Heffers shut a while ago - no more bikini clad beauties with megaphones walking across the bar in high heels, end of an era!

Ha. Yes. That was a fun place. Amongst many things in that place I remember being told my "tip was shit".....and being ordered to pay more. The barmaid wasn't in a mood for debate so I paid.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012

Yeah Frank's and Hogs both long gone (as is Red Rock).

But back on track: I think that London tips it due to the more clement weather. Spending some time in each is probably the best overall solution, of course.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I liked NY, a lot, but taking into consideration the entire cities and everything that a major city has to offer it is London for me, by quite some way.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Steaks-wise Omnino and the Bull Steak Expert are both top-quality, although they don't have the overall polish of a Lugers or Uncle Jack's. The thing that I can't find in London is a Brazilian style like Plataforma or Fogo de Chao.

Overall I prefer London to New York; New York in the summer is not a very pleasant place to be.

Have you tried Rodizio Preto in Shaftesbury Avenue ? Only been there once but it was pretty good.....not up to the level of say Porcao in RdeJ or Sao Paulo but reasonably authentic and the meat was good.

New York winters can be bloody awful as well. Bitter, bitter winds whipping between the high buildings. Unpleasant. London is much more benign by comparison.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Thanks for the info. I've been told it's notoriously hard to get a US visa due to the 'having to prove no US citizen can take the job' aspect of applying for a visa, yet there seems to be a number of people on NSC who have done it. I wish the US had a two year working visa for under 30s like Australia and New Zealand have. Two years would be plenty I think, there's only so many Interstates and grid-like flat cities one can visit in his lifetime.

I went on an L1.

I work in the financial markets and my firm paid the sponsoring lawyer to make statement outlining my work experience and that the specific role I was taking on could not be done by an American.

The best bit for me was that my kids got visas as well when we did the US embassy thing which was a real bonus. Other main one is that it's much easier to get a Green Card when the visa expires.

Ano

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
10 years ago NY, now London just gets better and better. Less oppressive and more open. More varied architecture. More history. These have always been true, but in recent years the London scene has become far more relaxed and cool. For me it is about the best city in the world, with NYC a close second.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
10 years ago NY, now London just gets better and better. Less oppressive and more open. More varied architecture. More history. These have always been true, but in recent years the London scene has become far more relaxed and cool. For me it is about the best city in the world, with NYC a close second.

I could never understand why people like London. I despise the place.

Can't think of anything positive to say about it.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I liked NY, a lot, but taking into consideration the entire cities and everything that a major city has to offer it is London for me, by quite some way.

I'd agree with this. I'm strongly biased, having lived in London for nearly 20 years but been to New York a lot as my wife used to live there. I love new York but what swings it for London for me is variety. London feels more like a collection of villages that are really different - there's no equivalent in NY of a day by the river in Southwest London, a walk on Hampstead Heath or a day at the cricket at Lords. A night out in East London is completely different to a cosy pub in hampstead and completely different to a night out in the west end. And I don't think anywhere compares to a Friday night in London on the first properly warm evening of the summer when everyone spills in to the parks and pavements outside the pubs after work.

I don't feel there's anything between the Cities on restaurants or bars these days - a few years ago there was - NYC has always had great bars, London has caught up and possibly passed it in recent years - although you do need to know where to go. And, despite the mental prices, it's likely you'll still get a bigger room/flat for your money in London than Manhattan.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
I'm sitting reading this on 58th and 10th. I am definitely a fan of NYC. I love the fact that you can live near enough to the action, when compared to London, meaning you can walk to most places. Great food at all price levels. Yesterday we had breakfast in a Jewish deli. They served pickled gurkins as a sort of pre starter. What's not to like. Also, in the last 10 years the beer situation has improved hugely. It used to be Sam Adams or Brooklyn Lager. Now there are hundreds of beers. Lots and lots of IPA, but at an average of about 7%, too strong for session drinking.

But, for me, 48 years old, I'd prefer that London. Ale and proximity to the Amex and family do that for me.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
I'd agree with this. I'm strongly biased, having lived in London for nearly 20 years but been to New York a lot as my wife used to live there. I love new York but what swings it for London for me is variety. London feels more like a collection of villages that are really different - there's no equivalent in NY of a day by the river in Southwest London, a walk on Hampstead Heath or a day at the cricket at Lords. A night out in East London is completely different to a cosy pub in hampstead and completely different to a night out in the west end. And I don't think anywhere compares to a Friday night in London on the first properly warm evening of the summer when everyone spills in to the parks and pavements outside the pubs after work.

I don't feel there's anything between the Cities on restaurants or bars these days - a few years ago there was - NYC has always had great bars, London has caught up and possibly passed it in recent years - although you do need to know where to go. And, despite the mental prices, it's likely you'll still get a bigger room/flat for your money in London than Manhattan.

Forgot about the cricket. That too. US sports are generally shiter than British ones

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Back working in London after a very enjoyable posting to New York.

Since my return, I've found myself constantly comparing the two cities. Each has its pros and cons and trying to work out which one is better is very difficult.

I'm going for NY. Main reasons being I prefer the restaurants (still haven't found a comparable NY steakhouse in London), it is more down to earth, cheaper and 4 high quality sports are readily available to watch live.

What do other NSCers think?

Both are fabulous cities, probably the two best in the word. I think it's difficult to pick one or the other, although London has much more variety.

It always amazes me how so many people in the UK don't seem to realise that they have one of the very best, if not the very best cities on the planet right on their doorstep. London is a fantastic city, although I think you don't really realise that until you live there for a while.

Your problem with steak is looking for NY steakhouses- go to a proper Argentinian one instead. http://www.santamariadelsur.com/home-mobile-2/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here