Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York hotels

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Barclay Intercontinental on Lexington only four quid a half pint of lager :drink:
£250.00 for four to fly up the river to Central Park for ten minutes.
Price right at 2004:ohmy:

Loved every minute mind you:cool:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
The Waldorf for me. Avoid Milford plaza.

I also stayed in a lovely boutique hotel in TriBeCa which was very reasonable and the room was a loft (split floor). Wish I remembered the name.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
So many to choose from – it’s horses for courses. Only stayed in one when I first moved to NYC – the Radisson Martinique on Broadway. Nice hotel, good central location – but no idea what the cost was as my company was paying. It did have the added bonus of lots of Scandinavian trolley dollies from SAS staying there. I’d agree about the Milford Plaza – some business colleagues stayed there and hated it, avoid like the plague.

Choose an area and a budget, see what’s available and check the Trip Advisor reviews. A lot of my friends now use AirBnB as they prefer staying in an apartment.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I've just got back from a few nights in the Westhouse on 55th. Excellent location (just a block or two from the bottom of Central Park) and the room was nicer than I've experienced in three other Manhattan hotels in the last couple of years. Not sure about the standard nightly prices but I got a good deal on Expedia when I booked it last year.

Jules

Jan 17, 2013
The most exclusive area in New York is the upper east side. Personally I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Lots of fine hotels, my favourite is the Carlyle.The Mark is also very good as is the Ritz.carlton central park.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
The most exclusive area in New York is the upper east side. Personally I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Lots of fine hotels, my favourite is the Carlyle.The Mark is also very good as is the Ritz.carlton central park.

Are you a Banker:cool:

I may have spelt that wrong :wink:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Wherever you decide to stay and if you have not been before, here is a tip.
Do your homework and find out where exactly your hotel is from the airpoint.
Unbelievable experience I had with the cab driver not knowing the hotel (New Yorker) or 8th Avenue, after about 10 questions from the driver ending in"is it Manhatten" I directed him there myself and I had never been to NY before.
Was I just very unlucky?
Talking about yellow cabs I found the perspex screen and rubbish in the back seat very odd not to mention the fact that not one said a word during the journies during the stay.
3 of them were murdered during my 5 day stay.
Seems the New Yorker is still one to consider.

Jules

Jan 17, 2013
You asked about staying in Queens. Lol. Hotels in Queens are cheap for a reason. The area is not very nice and in some parts quite.dangerous. My advice if you want to go to New York wait until you can stay in a decent part of Manhatten or don't go at all.

if the upper east side is out of your price range, upper west side, greenwich village, midtown and.even the financial district are all perfectly safe and the environments decent.

Outside of Manhatten, you may end up in danger, don't even rhink about it. I used to live in NY I know what I'm talking about. Gangs !

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Any areas that are not safe to stay in NY?
Queens is showing some decent prices, I assume the metro(underground) services the entire city?
If you are going off Manhattan, then Brooklyn is the place, Park Slope or Dumbo.....

SeagullNYC

Jan 12, 2010
Having lived in NYC for over 10 years stay in Manhattan and stay below 125th st
If you want to go to Queens, The Bronx, Brooklyn etc there are some really nice safe places but do your homework
before you go as there are some places you don't want to end up in

There are hundreds of hotels in NYC, go to hotels.com they normally have good deals
If your on a real tight budget Hotel17 and Hotel31 are for you

Its a fantastic city

Make sure you go to Nevada's Smiths good beer and the best football bar in the city

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Went last month. Stayed in a place called Archer Hotel. Can't praise them highly enough. Great location, & has excellent TripAdvisor reviews. Only been open since May so it's all pleasantly new. Rooms are- as with most NYC hotels- small, but beautifully furnished. They leave you chocolates or little cakes in your room every day, and if you let them know it's for a special occasion, they work even harder (got a birthday cake & bottle of fizz on the house).

Highly rated on-site restaurant, and a rooftop bar which has views straight over to the Empire State Building (as do many of the rooms). Most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. Located in Midtown, a ten minute walk (max) to Times Square & right by Bryant Park. It's a boutique sort of hotel rather than a large impersonal chain one. Can't think of a thing I didn't like about it. Way better than any other NY hotel I've stayed in.

www.archerhotel.com

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If you fancied something different we stayed at the Nu Hotel in Dumbo when visiting our daughter who was staying in Brooklyn last year. Boutique Hotel in Dumbo. Walked out every morning to views of the Statue of Liberty and either a stroll across the bridge or a water taxi ride into Manhatten.
Made a nice change from our usual Midtown stays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here