Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] New Year honours 2024

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Members of the Order of the British Empire (MBE)

Anthony Grant Bloom. Chairman, Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club. For services to Association Football and to the community in Brighton. (London, London)

George David Dowell. Owner, Worthing Football Club. For services to Association Football and to Disability Awareness. (Worthing, West Sussex)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and Truss has announced her honours list at the same time
Her nominations - which largely consist of political supporters and former aides - have been announced at the same time as the New Year Honours list, but Downing Street sources denied this was an attempt to limit coverage of Ms Truss's list.

Basically all bought - classy to the end.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Fried breakfasts for under a tenner; pints for under £4; historic buildings preserved for public use; takings of £1.9 billion pounds though.
And?

Amazon sell stuff really, really cheap, employ shedloads (warehouse loads) of UK staff in some deprived areas (including Croydon), and have ridiculous 'takings'.

I wouldn't get excited if their UK execs got gongs.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Mary Earps has got an honour, Joey Barton must be FUMING

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Services to out-of-date beer and microwaved food…..great.
They never sell out of date beer (which would be illegal). They originally made their fortune by buying up short-dated beer and selling it cheaply and quickly, though according to CAMRA that’s no longer their business model, they just use their buying clout to drive very good deals.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Services to out-of-date beer and microwaved food…..great.

Don't disagree with regards to the food although they cater to a market that might otherwise not be able to enjoy a meal out in difficult times.

With regards to beer, they are far from perfect but when many pubs are moving away from cask their pubs provide a good selection of well kept beers. I've had much worse real ales from large pub companies that should do better considering their prices.

A wetherspoon wouldn't be my choice for a night out but I do feel they are an asset to our ever declining town centres.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Her nominations - which largely consist of political supporters and former aides - have been announced at the same time as the New Year Honours list, but Downing Street sources denied this was an attempt to limit coverage of Ms Truss's list.

Basically all bought - classy to the end.
Ms Truss was hedging her bets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here