Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] New Year goals/resolutions

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do you have any?

After reducing my alcohol intake this year I am going tee-total for ‘23. I simply don’t enjoy it anymore. At all.

In fact thinking about it, I’ve started already as I am not planning on any drinks between now and NY.

You?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I kind of stopped drinking about 10 years ago - probably what makes me now such hoot.

Not that drinking was a problem or anything serious like that, just a 'been there - done that - threw up on the shirt' kind of thing.
I just couldn't be dealing with the morning after, any more.

Have subsequently found out beer now puts my stomach on a spin cycle, so it would seem that's me done (with more than 2 pints) for good.

No resolutions for me - sadly I no longer have the capacity for change, so am just gonna carry on plodding through a fog of no self-esteem and loathing, which is nice.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Try to get back to some kind of longer distance running - which in turn means drinking less and losing some weight (and hoping my gammy foot plays ball). Also giving up golf, have pretty much lost interest in it but less a resolution and more of a can’t be arsed to play kind of thing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I kind of stopped drinking about 10 years ago - probably what makes me now such hoot.

Not that drinking was a problem or anything serious like that, just a 'been there - done that - threw up on the shirt' kind of thing.
I just couldn't be dealing with the morning after, any more.

Have subsequently found out beer now puts my stomach on a spin cycle, so it would seem that's me done (with more than 2 pints) for good.
Similar reasons as me.

I have in the past got into periods of quite heavy drinking but I’ve always got bored of it and reduced it right down.
Now I’m gonna knock it on the head.

I did similar with smoking a few years ago . Wasn’t allowed to smoke on work premises. Was going 12-15 hours without a smoke and was no longer craving one after work so I just stopped buying tobacco and just stopped smoking.

Looking forward to it to be honest.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Try and get fitter (so same as last 40 years :rolleyes:).

Before Covid I was playing football 2 or 3 times a week, I've now dropped down to 2 or 3 times a month and having started playing in tournaments again I am really suffering. Got to get back to twice a week every week (if my knees can still take it) starting today (y)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Going to stop smoking some point next year though not from January 1 as I have too much cigarettes at home.

When it comes to Brighton stuff, I've decided reduce the amount of torture I subject Paul Barber to, from two emails down to one.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
1 Eat less cheese
2 Cycle more
3 Surf more
4 Become a fella of my professional institute
5 be a better husband ( wiping the worktops in the expected way etc)
6 help my mum who's living with dementia.
Not necessarily in that order.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
My social life took a dive during Covid, and never recovered. And recently I’ve been suffering with lower back pain.

So, in the New Year the plan is to start dance classes and to join a pilates group.

Booze… we’ll see.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
My social life took a dive during Covid, and never recovered. And recently I’ve been suffering with lower back pain.

So, in the New Year the plan is to start dance classes and to join a pilates group.

Booze… we’ll see.
I slipped a disk 18 months ago so I feel (felt) your pain. Stretching, strengthening your core and glutes is key. I'm also going to restart pilates.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did well with some weight loss over the last 8 months, now aspiring to complete the job in 2023. (Said as I tuck into some delicious Xmas treats).

Kind of linked to that, to fully self-rehab MCL injuries on both knees.

Also to cut back on frivolous spending and to avoid the major supermarkets …. would rather spend money on more interesting activities.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Stopped smoking 3+ months ago and have stuck with it, but as a result have eaten more than I should.

Once the Xmas buffet period finishes will start eating better

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I gave up smoking today, less treats in the evening and to actually use our gym membership

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I slipped a disk 18 months ago so I feel (felt) your pain. Stretching, strengthening your core and glutes is key. I'm also going to restart pilates.
Yeah, now I understand what other people moan about! I’ve had a few physio sessions with manipulation and acupuncture, plus she’s given me various exercises. After nearly three months, the pain disappeared before Christmas, but I shall definitely keep on top of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Actually yes I do have a resolution:-

I will attempt to not use The Goldstone, Gillingham or Withdean to validate whatever opinion I choose to shoehorn them into.

It's flipping tedious and mostly irrelevant.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm going to try the first slice of bread out of a new loaf rather than just leave it on top until it's the last slice left in the packet.

Save the planet that will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here