Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Worthing ale house to open.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
As I said all rents were signed by the tenants/ lessees, there was of course arbitration. I presume your rent increase went from tenancy to lease? if not why sign for such an increase? Unless you were under rented on £13,600.

Unfortunately most didnt have a choice in the late 80s it started with INntrepeneur who said your new rent will be
X amount sign the agreement or leave within 6 months. I was heavily involved with NAIL ( National Association of INtrepeneur Lesees) which was formed try to protect lessees. We had many examples of bNkruptcy and even suicide through these university trained whizz kids. Typically my rent with Watneys increased from £13600 pa to £36400 when it came under the rule of Inntrepeneur and this was typical of many publicans businesses.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is ironical that these small places keep opening but traditional pubs are closing at the rate of 10 a week nationally could it be down to the size of the premises and the overheads involved with rent etc.

My take is that these places cater for a slightly different customer to more traditional pubs. Most dedicated real ale/craft pubs don't do food, have games or TVs and have heavily rotating selections of different styles and literally just beer ie no spirits. I always felt there was a huge vacuum between real ale pubs and the more commercial lager type pubs with sports and it's now being filled

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And good luck to these guys. Hope it works out. I had the pleasure of visiting the one near the station a few months back and if it's anywhere as good as that it will be a success.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Lovely little ale and cider house in Shoreham, off the high st, Church Rd (?).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I said all rents were signed by the tenants/ lessees, there was of course arbitration. I presume your rent increase went from tenancy to lease? if not why sign for such an increase? Unless you were under rented on £13,600.

Mine was an old Watney 5 year tenancy that went over to a lease with the demise of Watney Coombe Reid and yes there was arbitration their view was that either I singed the new lease or left as the tenancy expired. If I was honest I would say the rent was slightly under valued so I expected an increase possibly to £16k ish but not to in excess of £34k that was exorbitant. The leases also contained an upwards only rent review every 12 months. Eventually the pub was sold to a private company who charged a succession of tenants a lower rent than the previous as they went broke and eventually closed the pub with the latest man paying £12k a year. It is now 6 flats.

Last edited:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Well, on the plus side from that, The Castle at the bottom of Broadwater Bridge is re-opening in a months time & staying as an Ale House.
13241107_1003932983037163_2190218489895794110_n.jpg

Really pleased for this, though I'm sure the chap from Anchored had some involvement in trying to re open it some months back. Sad for him if, as it seems, he couldn't get it off the ground, because he was the first one of these micro pubs in Worthing

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes so sad to see some great pubs closed. Even sad to see the Grim last year has gone to a Londis or some such, sighn of the times, don't get back to the Heath very often.

Mine was an old Watney 5 year tenancy that went over to a lease with the demise of Watney Coombe Reid and yes there was arbitration their view was that either I singed the new lease or left as the tenancy expired. If I was honest I would say the rent was slightly under valued so I expected an increase possibly to £16k ish but not to in excess of £34k that was exorbitant. The leases also contained an upwards only rent review every 12 months. Eventually the pub was sold to a private company who charged a succession of tenants a lower rent than the previous as they went broke and eventually closed the pub with the latest man paying £12k a year. It is now 6 flats.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Gutted for you BG. Karaoke has killed many a good pub. :D

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
It used to be the small coffee shop run by an Italian chap. Was good coffee but never seemed very inviting. Can't wait for this though - I live a stones throw away. Will do well to compete with the Brookstead though as that place is top notch.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well, on the plus side from that, The Castle at the bottom of Broadwater Bridge is re-opening in a months time & staying as an Ale House.
13241107_1003932983037163_2190218489895794110_n.jpg
The Castle will be a goldmine when the Teville Gate redevelopment gets finished in 2047.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Well personally I am not going to try it out unless it is guaranteed that I am served my Craft Beer by a Bearded and Top Knotted ****.

Said Beer must have an AMUSING name, a RIDICULOUS ABV and use a Trio of Venezuelan Hops showing DAMSON, AXLE GREASE and ANGEL DELIGHT notes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here