Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] New Tom & Jerry film

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008

I think this is amazing, I love the guys making all the sounds and screams.

Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes both were amazing from 1930s to about 1958 ish then I think animation changed and it was not the same anymore.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Tom and Jerry from 1930s to 1950s was the best cartoons ever made...

The first Tom and Jerry was made in 1940. Still can't believe it is 80 years old.

I used to think their names were a reference to the nicknames of English and German soldiers during WW2 given the time it was first made but I think that was just coincidence.

Here is a short documentary on the evolution of Tom and Jerry..

https://youtu.be/vTrjjtg4P-Q

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hopefully more inspiring than the boring poster Tom & Jerry

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
On a UK channels broadcast banned list apparently, but seriously would anyone really be offended by that now if it was shown?

About half the episodes (about 70!) are on the banned list due to 'Blackface', portrayal of the maid and any episodes with Tom and Jerry smoking, plus no doubt various other reasons. Apparently the cartoons have to be classed as adult viewing with appropriate warnings for today's potential viewers. P.S. Not being whooshed, but I read about this a couple of days ago which naturally drew me back to a 3m old NSC thread.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Most sensible people would accept that what was acceptable mainstream 40 years ago might not be today - that doesn’t mean you should stop people watching it . It’s not like it’s advocating violence against a specific community or anything . PC gone too far . We live in a very odd society were a funny cartoon might offend the odd person but we seem happy to accept gangs stabbing each other in London on a regular basis .

This is not about detailing this thread or what about aparry but it seems odd to me the level of censorship in tv programs for relatively mild reasons yet violence has increased in real life .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Most sensible people would accept that what was acceptable mainstream 40 years ago might not be today - that doesn’t mean you should stop people watching it . It’s not like it’s advocating violence against a specific community or anything . PC gone too far . We live in a very odd society were a funny cartoon might offend the odd person but we seem happy to accept gangs stabbing each other in London on a regular basis .

This is not about detailing this thread or what about aparry but it seems odd to me the level of censorship in tv programs for relatively mild reasons yet violence has increased in real life .

??? Not sure I know anyone who thinks that is acceptable.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
About half the episodes (about 70!) are on the banned list due to 'Blackface', portrayal of the maid and any episodes with Tom and Jerry smoking, plus no doubt various other reasons. Apparently the cartoons have to be classed as adult viewing with appropriate warnings for today's potential viewers. P.S. Not being whooshed, but I read about this a couple of days ago which naturally drew me back to a 3m old NSC thread.

I like those warnings. It's a good compromise across the ages.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Stereotypes in comedy are funny - that’s what makes people different. As long as they are not overly offensive and done in a kind way they should be allowed to stay in comedy .

Little Britain would not be so funny without stereotypes but it wasn’t nasty it was simply taking the Micky . There is a line that clearly shouldn’t be crossed but our woke generation have tried to stop everything which is silly and unnecessary.

Faulty towers wouldn’t be funny without stereo types .

On reflection I probably shouldn’t have added on gang violence as the two aren’t connected even though it seems to be getting worse.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
On a UK channels broadcast banned list apparently, but seriously would anyone really be offended by that now if it was shown?

Surely it can’t be too difficult to think that some people might be offended at the stereotypes depicting the subjugation of their own kind by white people. It was a long time after the abolition of slavery, but plenty of people in the USA probably think slavery still should exist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here