Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New take on withdean atmosphere

Nordic Gull

Feb 25, 2009
Hampshire
I was in Bristol yesterday visiting a mate and he twisted my arm into going to watch Bristol City vs Ipswich. Admittedly it was dull game, but the atmosphere was shocking. Given the crowd was nearly double the average at withdean, i'd say they barely made any more noise. And the really suprising thing was the level of apathy, after an endless number of poor passes and terrible referreeing decisions everyone around me just seemed to sit there and do nothing. I know in the South stand we often get accused of moaning, but at least we seem to care. After the Charlton game on tuesday i felt totally fed up with the lack of atmosphere, but I now think that it probably isn't as bad as I (we?) think.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Wise words Nordic Gull. I have been to many matches elsewhere where the home fans sit in glum silence. Even at the Blessed Goldstone there were times you could hear a pin drop in the West Stand whilst the old East Terrace was not unkown to have it's share of moaners.
I think the real problem is that we are now all "Withdean Fatigued". We have had enough and Falmer cannot come soon enough. However, I bet there will be times there that people complain that there is no atmosphere

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I was in Bristol yesterday visiting a mate and he twisted my arm into going to watch Bristol City vs Ipswich. Admittedly it was dull game, but the atmosphere was shocking. Given the crowd was nearly double the average at withdean, i'd say they barely made any more noise. And the really suprising thing was the level of apathy, after an endless number of poor passes and terrible referreeing decisions everyone around me just seemed to sit there and do nothing. I know in the South stand we often get accused of moaning, but at least we seem to care. After the Charlton game on tuesday i felt totally fed up with how the lack of atmosphere, but I now think that it probably isn't as bad as I (we?) think.

Wish a few more people realised this.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It isn't that bad.

The rain and open stand is obviously the worse factor.

I think alot who bang this drum use it as an excuse for not paying to support the club at home

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
iv been to bristol city twice with bha and few times when i was at uni their and i always thought it was a pretty good atmosphere.how many did ipswich take roughly?
saying that rovers have a far more vocal support of the two bristol clubs when they get going

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think alot who bang this drum use it as an excuse for not paying to support the club at home

Also, I think some use it as an excuse for poor results, rather than blame the players, managers, etc.

I was in Bristol yesterday visiting a mate and he twisted my arm into going to watch Bristol City vs Ipswich. Admittedly it was dull game, but the atmosphere was shocking. Given the crowd was nearly double the average at withdean, i'd say they barely made any more noise. And the really suprising thing was the level of apathy, after an endless number of poor passes and terrible referreeing decisions everyone around me just seemed to sit there and do nothing. I know in the South stand we often get accused of moaning, but at least we seem to care. After the Charlton game on tuesday i felt totally fed up with the lack of atmosphere, but I now think that it probably isn't as bad as I (we?) think.

Key text in bold.
Also, from where I was in the N.Stand, the atmosphere v Charlton was pretty animated and reasonably loud.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
On occasions where I've been in the northstand, you realise that the south is not really that quiet.

Being in the south, it's hard to hear the noise from those more than a few yards to your sides but, when facing across the pitch you can hear the noise.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
On occasions where I've been in the northstand, you realise that the south is not really that quiet.

Being in the south, it's hard to hear the noise from those more than a few yards to your sides but, when facing across the pitch you can hear the noise.

I'd agree with this, on the few occasions i've sat in the North stand i've been pleasently surprised by the atmosphere coming from the South stand. If there was a roof over those 4500 fans I think we'd create one of the better atmospheres in this league.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Bristol City have a reputation as a moaning crowd. Ask the way to Ashton Gate and you'll be told to follow the moans. Lets not forget the Play Off Final in Cardiff when the Albion made much more noise.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Listening to the atmosphere at the Hamilton vs Hearts game on the telly at the moment it makes Withdean sound like the Maracana.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I've heard commentaries on the radio for football matches where the broadcasters say the noise is 'deafening', but don't think I've ever been to a match like that...

Perhaps at Falmer on Boxing Day 2012 against Palace, we get a penalty in the last seconds of second-half injury time, with the score locked at 3-3 and BZ steps up to take it, then it might be 'deafening' :smile:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I've heard commentaries on the radio for football matches where the broadcasters say the noise is 'deafening', but don't think I've ever been to a match like that...

I have, the play-off final in Cardiff, an away game at Sheff Utd (the one where Leon scored the winner right at the end of the game) and a Hearts v Celtic game at Tynecastle.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
the reason why withdean seems so quiet may partly be down to the crowds lack of singing, but i guarantee it is mostly because there if no roof!

For those of you that regularly watch the albion at away games will know just how much difference a roof can make to hold in the noise.

I went to the away Leyton orient game in the st johnstones paint trophy, cant have been more than 500 albion fans there but at times it sounded like 5000. the roof really does make a different, if withdean had a roof we wouldnt be having this debate.

With our lovely transparent roof at falmer im sure the atmosphere will be a lot better!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have, the play-off final in Cardiff, an away game at Sheff Utd (the one where Leon scored the winner right at the end of the game) and a Hearts v Celtic game at Tynecastle.

Which playoff final was that? The atmosphere at the Brighton one was shit.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The noise made by Pompey fans on Saturday was immense.

I know " right on" brighton fans moan and whinge about drums and trumpets and stuff but at least it does get the crowd going

The funny thing about Saturday was the trumpeter at Fratton who cannot hit one single note either that or he was completely wankered

heavyweightsrbest

Oct 10, 2009
There is a lack of atmosphere at Withdean because there has been a total lack of anything to get excited about. The home results have been dreadful by any standards and I think the crowd have been very patient. We should not forget that we have won two championships at this ground. Did anybody mention a lack of atmosphere affecting the players performances then?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Wise words Nordic Gull. I have been to many matches elsewhere where the home fans sit in glum silence. Even at the Blessed Goldstone there were times you could hear a pin drop in the West Stand whilst the old East Terrace was not unkown to have it's share of moaners.
I think the real problem is that we are now all "Withdean Fatigued". We have had enough and Falmer cannot come soon enough. However, I bet there will be times there that people complain that there is no atmosphere

I'm not withdean fatigued :clap2: COME ON BRIGHTON!

Which playoff final was that? The atmosphere at the Brighton one was shit.

Good to know that this is the definition of SHIT atmosphere:laugh:
pd1813818.jpg

3034631841_f3e8d35f42.jpg
spaceball.gif
spaceball.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here