Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Striker

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
You are not going to become a great passing team without playing that way are you! Also do you really expect to be able to sign that "pin point passing player" if we do not play that way or will he prefer to sign for a team who play to his strengths? Worth a thought.

They are not school boys learning, they are just about as good as they are going to get. They are simply not of that standard to perform those passes. And no I never mentioned signing a pin point passing player! I think Ulloa needs support forward and you can only do this by playing a more forward game. ie 2 forward or a similar combination. Or

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They are not school boys learning, they are just about as good as they are going to get. They are simply not of that standard to perform those passes. And no I never mentioned signing a pin point passing player! I think Ulloa needs support forward and you can only do this by playing a more forward game. ie 2 forward or a similar combination. Or
A CMS or Hoskins wide as we h ave tried with Buckley and Rodriguez.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agree with OP - a Frank Lampard style attacking mid is EXACTLY what we need.

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
ever heard the quote ' all eggs in 1 basket ' recipe for disaster if Ulloa heaven forbid gets injured again. He is already carrying a ankle injury. So yes we do need another striker until either Hoskins or Cms get match fit

I think it's more important we GET a midfield goalscoring basket, than get a BACK UP striker.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Grabban was the one we wanted as he could play anywhere in the front 3.

Sadly he feels its better to stay at Bournemouth...

Perfect he would have been

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It's up to Tony isn't it?

We were on track for meeting FFP targets, then received 3.75 million for Bridcutt, 750k for Barnes and 500k+ from the cup run.

Stephens was 650k and obviously Rodriguez costs something.

So, plenty of coins left to get another striker if Tony wants. Wages not really an issue with regards to FFP, given the 4million+ surplus.

No guarantees that Hoskins and CMS won't get setbacks.

If Leo gets injured we write off the season.

Let's get a decent striker in.

OP had obviously not thought about that

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The basic "if you play 2 up front you will score more" argument has to be one of the laziest going.

Man Utd play 2 up front and they didnt get anywhere near the goal last night.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If I was manager (thank f*ck I'm not.) then I'd be looking at a utility player who could play up-top as a target man or as an inside forward.

An example would be Jay Emmanuel-Thomas at Bristol City. Massively talented player who has seen his career stall. Scored 11 in 19 when used as a striker for Bristol City this season, but isn't being used as a forward by Coterrill and has found his game-time reduced to the odd start as a winger (Where he's been pretty good) or more often then not as a substitute.

Big, Strong, Fast and has a good end product. He wouldn't cost too much, and if we could make him more consistent we'd have a gem on our hands. Bristol City need to sell too:
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sell-J...mits-Bristol/story-20061184-detail/story.html
Ive been willing us to sign JET ever since he dominated the midfield when he played against us last season, he also chips in with a few goals.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I think the calls for a new striker are more to do with taking the pressure off of Leo. If he gets injured or suspended our play-off hopes are well and truly faaacked.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
For a team to play one up front and be very successful you need to have pin point passing to that player. Hence why the four teams you mention are four of the best passing teams in the world. Unfortunately we are not of that quality. I'm not saying two forward is the answer but it's defo worth a thought.

Yes..... and no.

Accurate passing would be a better description. The reason I say that is because a lot of people get annoyed when we don't play raking through balls.

BUT... I think the issue is more to do with movement and space.

The point with short passing is it's easier to pass accurately over a short distance. The up shot of this is that it needs more passes to gain ground. For this you need a mobile midfield.

Sometimes when you watch our midfield they are bit static.

The other thing with short passing and movement is that it needs players to be on the same wave length.

Sometimes when you watch our midfield, some are on kiss fm, others appear to be on radio 4.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
We need someone who can play furthest forward of our midfield and can quickly get up to play with Ulloa, he spends so much time isolated, holding up play or getting knock-on's and there is no one there to capitalise.

If we can keep Buckley fit and get Rodriguez on the right wavelength, with Kaz and March coming off the bench, we have loads on the flanks. We just need Stephens to be able to link the play or someone else with enough pace to be able to do it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The other thing with short passing and movement is that it needs players to be on the same wave length.

Sometimes when you watch our midfield, some are on kiss fm, others appear to be on radio 4.
We need someone who can play furthest forward of our midfield and can quickly get up to play with Ulloa, he spends so much time isolated, holding up play or getting knock-on's and there is no one there to capitalise.

If we can keep Buckley fit and get Rodriguez on the right wavelength, with Kaz and March coming off the bench, we have loads on the flanks. We just need Stephens to be able to link the play or someone else with enough pace to be able to do it.
I agree with these. I think we have the players, we just need them to stay fit, and get used to playing with each other.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Thank god I'm not the only person who realises this.

Defensive formations are VITAL. Defence, by its very nature, needs to be formatted and organised.

Attack however does not. Could you honestly tell me what Barca's attacking pattern is? No. Because they BUZZ around.

The very escence of attacking football is to allow creativity and flair. Subjecting that very notion to a set formation, thus restricting the ability to express attacking invention is, in itself, a contradiction.

Therefore it drives me mad when people say "you need two up top". No. You need better build up play and more commiting forward in attacks. Not just another striker on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here