Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New stewards please!

Are you happy with the current stewarding staff and policies?

• Yes, keep the current stewarding team

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • No, rebuild from the ground up

Votes: 34 69.4%

• Total voters

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The pitch invasion happened, end.

What is of more interest to me is that our stewarding team needs to be dismissed and rebuilt from scratch. They are mostly arseholes with far too much self importance. I am just glad that GUS and the players obviously agree and came out to celebrate with the fans, completely overriding the so called health and safety numpties. Stewarding at Withdean has been a farce in recent years to the point that people in charge of the operation believe that they are more important than the club and its fans.

Hopefully TB will recognise this problem and act before these arseholes get a chance to ruin The Amex.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Rubbish. If people like you actually bothered to talk to them and have a conversation you'd realise a vast majority are good sorts and supporters as well. There are a handful who are jobsworths - mainly in the response teams - but 99% do a good job which is often a thankless task.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think the stewards at Withdean will get priority for the new jobs at Falmer , they've already been trained under the guidance of Mr Hebberd. :lol:

What is of more interest to me is that our stewarding team needs to be dismissed and rebuilt from scratch. They are mostly arseholes with far too much self importance. I am just glad that GUS and the players obviously agree and came out to celebrate with the fans, completely overriding the so called health and safety numpties. Stewarding at Withdean has been a farce in recent years to the point that people in charge of the operation believe that they are more important than the club and its fans.

Hopefully TB will recognise this problem and act before these arseholes get a chance to ruin The Amex.

are you for real? how about you take up the role of recruiting, training, and PAYING them, let's see how far you get

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Absolute fuckwits. Tried to take a QUICK photo of Brett in the dugouts and got moved along "you have had your fun mate" absolute ****. Would have taken what 5 seconds.

Wanker, shithead, f***ing ****. In the words of Blackadder "thank you Darling and I hope your parents die in a freak yachting accident".

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
are you for real? how about you take up the role of recruiting, training, and PAYING them, let's see how far you get

It would be difficult to see how I could do a worse job.

As for 'me being real', that is very rich coming from someone sad enough to advertise their need for a football programme from 2/3 seasons back, nerd.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think the stewards at Withdean will get priority for the new jobs at Falmer , they've already been trained under the guidance of Mr Hebberd. :lol:

and therein lies the problem I suspect.

For a club employee whose wages are paid from gate receipts this gentleman has a very strange attitude to supporters who he seems to view as only being tolerable if they sit quietly on their hands and - particularly unfortunate for a senior manager in any service industry - is unable to handle any criticism whatsoever.

As for 'me being real', that is very rich coming from someone sad enough to advertise their need for a football programme from 2/3 seasons back, nerd.

a nerd?:lol: haven't heard that for a long time. anyway let's get back on topic, ok 'are you for real' was a bit hard, the point i'm making is that the whole country is in a shit state at the moment, we're a low wage economy which results in the old 'pay peanuts, get monkeys' scenario. It would be really nice to get rid of the type of stewarding we have suffered over the last 12 years or so, but who will they be replaced with? who wants to work for a few hours a week, mostly on saturdays, mostly only ever getting abuse and for £6 an hour? would you? no, only a 'nerd' would and that's what we'll only ever get. It's too easy to sit behind a keyboard asking for heads to roll but their needs to be a feasable altenative in place. By the way have you got the programme I was after as I took my 7 week old son to that match (the photo of us both was recently featured in the Junior Seagulls section of the Swindon programme, so you can see what this 'nerd' and junior 'nerd' look like) feel free to say hello at the next match - regards Adam

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
a nerd?:lol: haven't heard that for a long time. anyway let's get back on topic, ok 'are you for real' was a bit hard, the point i'm making is that the whole country is in a shit state at the moment, we're a low wage economy which results in the old 'pay peanuts, get monkeys' scenario. It would be really nice to get rid of the type of stewarding we have suffered over the last 12 years or so, but who will they be replaced with? who wants to work for a few hours a week, mostly on saturdays, mostly only ever getting abuse and for £6 an hour? would you? no, only a 'nerd' would and that's what we'll only ever get. It's too easy to sit behind a keyboard asking for heads to roll but their needs to be a feasable altenative in place. By the way have you got the programme I was after as I took my 7 week old son to that match (the photo of us both was recently featured in the Junior Seagulls section of the Swindon programme, so you can see what this 'nerd' and junior 'nerd' look like) feel free to say hello at the next match - regards Adam

Thank you for the civilised response. Now I understand your reasons for obtaining this programme I will be a little less judgemental, although I am not a fan of babes-in-arms at football matches. Maybe see you in WSU bar in August? Cheers Woody:p

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

So go one then, what part of the Steward recruitment and training process would you change and how ? Of course that means you would need to know what the current one is ???

Thank you for the civilised response. Now I understand your reasons for obtaining this programme I will be a little less judgemental, although I am not a fan of babes-in-arms at football matches. Maybe see you in WSU bar in August? Cheers Woody:p

cool, we've been promoted, lifes too short etc. anyhoo we're on another subject now (which was done to death a few weeks ago so it's not my intention to dig it up) but while i'm 'coming clean' here's where I am on the babies thing, it's not ideal but if the sun's shining and Mrs Noththenineo'clocknews is at work it's both of us or neither of us, so I vote for the former. anyway little tiny babies are alright (as long as it's safe) it's two year olds that are a pain in the arse

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I love these steward bashing threads, mainly started by the rebelious fan who has no respect for anybodyelse and thinks they should be able to do what they like.

Some of the stewards, especially in the south stand, get a serious amount of shit from 'fans' or more approriately louts. I personally would hate to do their job. If you can't follow the ground regulations then you can't complain about being reminded of them.

A lot of fans had left last night by the time the players came out as a large numbers of pratts had invaded the pitch. I'm begining to believe we should have a fan recruitment policy and scrape out the worthless thugs before we go to the Amex

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight

OK half wit. So most of the 100 or so stewards at the club are arseholes.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but you are probably unaware that many have been supporters of the club for many years and just want to be part of it through thick and thin.

As with any work force there are mixed abilities. No doubt, though within your line of business, you never make mistakes and you apply more common sense than the rest of your colleagues put together.

Strikes me that you've probably got a problem with anyone in a uniform. If it wasn't the stewards it would be the police. I'm sure you've probably got a negative opinion about the fire brigade who run the inflatable for the kids in the family stand.

Bottom line is that those fans that ran on the pitch were told to get off in no uncertain terms by those who remained off the pitch. Were all these closet stewards?

You are, without doubt sir a :wanker:

Well, why not give it a TRY, instead of your gobshite blithering.
Like has been said, most stewards are Albion and go back a way as fierce supporters of our club.
They (especially the long-timers) invest a lot of concern in keeping the club going forward and making sure our detractors didn't have a case to show when we needed to show why moving in on Falmer village wasn't going to be a problem. BECAUSE we (everyone, fans esp. included) have had exemplary behavior recorded at sensitive Withdean in it's goldfish bowl, we had NO qualms or embarrassment in putting forward a case for the Amex Stad in all it's glory.

If some people can think on their own, they might realise it wasn't just architect's drawings and pleas that got the new place of our own agreed upon (despite all odds against, and a variety of rocks in our passway).

But thanks for this opportunity to underline in duplicate, and your weak case against works as a stronger case for.

Which brings me mention; There will need to be more stewards for the Amex, and for real fans of the Albion with an interest in not-yer-average part time work I highly recommend it. Our stewards are a good lot with pride in their duties and the club, and most are not-at-all in it for financial reasons (though a couple with big families like doing it for that extra that probably helps a bit).
Next season will see our club opening earlier for fans to cruise round and enjoy a bit of decent (well sourced, healthy) food, browse and shop, and probably catch a bit of entertainment too. The stadium will also be open for after the match so there's less desire to rush off out into the evening - catch all the final scores while maybe picking up something to take home (a DVD or scarf) and do some player-spotting for autograph hunters too.

Bottom line;- MOST fans realise that our stewards are necessary and there for their and the club's best interests, and are passionate about the club and their work.

FYI and of incidental info - I work abroad for a football club where it's basically mayhem during big games. The cost of policing runs as high as €100,000 for ONE match (which includes police helicopters, running battles outside the stadium, loads of drunks and less interest in the actual match than fronting up to opposing fans!). Sanctions against the club have seen threats of matches being held behind closed doors and I personally believe the last derby was a dull 0-0 entirely due to the players' nervousness about the fan behavior. Families don't attend games because of the negative publicity and for fear of getting their kids hurt. The trains (tube and overland) and buses have to have police on every carriage, and the media love the publicity to take up pages of newsprint and photos of flares. Fireworks are deafening and smoke asphyxiating (flares damaging the seats, starting fires, staining the concrete). Fences are 8ft+, plus 25ft of netting behind goals.

It's the same as in Italian football - the crowds become unruly mobs, coins and flags get thrown and flares hit the turf and play can get stopped.
Depends what you go to football for though I s'pose.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
how the f*** is one line of stewards supposed to stop a huge crowd with thousands of people from running on the pitch?

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
Absolute fuckwits. Tried to take a QUICK photo of Brett in the dugouts and got moved along "you have had your fun mate" absolute ****. Would have taken what 5 seconds.

Wanker, shithead, f***ing ****. In the words of Blackadder "thank you Darling and I hope your parents die in a freak yachting accident".
ha ha well said.. 100% agree

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights

You dopey twat,If you had heard the tannoy it was Gus and the players who said they weren't coming out and then they changed their minds,the decision was never taken by any side of the stewarding staff or safety officer.Get facts right before opening gob

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
A lot of fans had left last night by the time the players came out as a large numbers of pratts had invaded the pitch. I'm begining to believe we should have a fan recruitment policy and scrape out the worthless thugs before we go to the Amex

I saw more than a few of NSC's finest 'Mindless Thugs' on the pitch last night. People heavily involved in the REMF and all that is good about this place. What do you make of that?

WeAreTheAlbion

Aug 19, 2010
Northstand - AMEX Stadium
THEY ARE TWATS!
sit down sit down, i know u might be stood up having fun cheering on your team but because we are pricks u have to sit down.
f*** you
end of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here