Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

new stadium new anthem

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Like Spurs with "Oh when the Spurs" fires up at WHL we should have an ultra slow introduction to GOSBTS...

"Oh we're going up to win the cup for SBTS" (very slow with held note on the OHhhhhhhhhhhh)

Followed by a slightly slower and massive "ALL TOGETHER NOW"

Then normal (not Ska speed) GOSBTS (repeat)

Now 20000 singing that would be pwopa nawtie

Seagull in Hull

Apr 4, 2011
What about GOSBTS nice and loud but when it gets to the ...and we're going up and we'll win the cup for sussex by the sea... the music is muted and left to the fans to sing.

Works quite nicely with YNWA at Anfield and the hi ho silver lining at Wolves etc.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Undoubtedly we should stick with GOSBS, WITH a proper brass band, but it would then be interesting to have Fat Boy Slim have a go at re-working it just as another tune on the afternoon's play list.

Forgive my stupidity, but is it possible to hear the ska version on Youtube or something?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Understandably, anyone would be forgiven for imagining that 'The Blaydon Races' was a Geordie composition, through and through.

But the Northern Echo confirmed back in 2002 that the melody selected by composer [FONT=&quot]Geordie Ridley for his new poem [/FONT]is in fact that of an old sea shanty.

And the name of that venerable old tune? 'Brighton'.

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004
Re brass band playing GOSBTS on the new pitch, I very rarely post but indulge me if you will...

Before I took solace in drink and narchotics, many years back I was a posh little lad at Eastbourne College. We had to do CCF - compulsorary army cadett stuff, horrible hitler youth business it was. Me and the other drop-outs/idiots/refusniks, rather than doing maneuvers up on the Downs with plastic rifles, all decided to join the 'Corps of Drums', the militadry band, so we could arse around more than run around.

Well we were pretty shit. We spent every Wednesday p.m marching around Eastbourne murdering 'Who do you think you're kidding Mr. Hitler', 'long way to Tiperary' and of course 'GOSBTS'. It was while thrashing that classic tune to death that we walked past the tennis courts one summer afternoon, merrily banging and tooting. Little did we know that it was the annual women's competition (the pre Wimbledon tournament. Do they still play it there?) and Navratilova was playing Chris Evett in the semi final. This god awful racket approach the arena and eventually engulfed the court, with the crowd and two players laughing so much that play was stopped for several minutes. Navratilove never recovered her composure and crashed out.

And the headline on the back of the daily Mail the next morning... 'Navratilova falls as band hits BUM note'. Apt on so many levels

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Nothing can replace GOSBTS but - bar most of our fans EVER learning all the words - it would be good to have a nice classic everyone could sing all the way through.

How about:

- My Way
- Beyond the Sea

Personally I would love the crowd to sing some old school classic like Ever Fallen In Love (with someone you shouldn't have fallen in love with).

Also, about time the club starting printing the full words to GOSBTS in the programme. That sung nice and slowly would be QUALITY.

Or maybe just use the 2 giant screens at the ground to display the words (it could also be used karaoke style and light up to show when to sign each word meaning its sung at the right pace)

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Or maybe just use the 2 giant screens at the ground to display the words (it could also be used karaoke style and light up to show when to sign each word meaning its sung at the right pace)

The only problem with that is that the away fans would see the words as well, and realise that the vast majority of ALBION fans don't know the words to our own anthem

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
GOSBTS will be fantastic played through a decent sound system. Gone will be the days of the tinny Withdean squawk that you could barely hear anyway.

You've not heard then? The PA system at Withdean is being put in at Falmer. Something to do with Albion PA tradition.

WeAreTheAlbion

Aug 19, 2010
Northstand - AMEX Stadium
i would like to hear,
and its brighton and hove albion
brighton and hove albion fc
there by far the greatest team the world have ever seen ...

tonyascough

Jun 19, 2008
I quite agree but two points I would like to make, a: lets keep the speed right, it is too good to rush it and B lets get the Norman Wisdom words right, they are: we're going up AND we'll win the cup, not TO win the cup.

All that said I am working on something for the first day which may just catch on, more to follow on this one later. Tony Ascough from Shoreham
You don't 'make' new anthems, they come naturally. Sussex by the sea IS and always WILL be our anthem!

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
The live brass band idea should be great, but I remember such a rendition at the Goldstone and no-one could hear it. If it happens, club, please make sure someone sticks a microphone near them to blast it out of the tannoy.

I'm glad the gist of this thread is not to replace GOSBTS. The sound of that blasting out at Falmer, will be THE moment it all feels true.

It's the link with the club's past, all the way back to the First World War, it would be like changing the colours away from blue and white...

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
The only problem with that is that the away fans would see the words as well, and realise that the vast majority of ALBION fans don't know the words to our own anthem

I don't think that will make much difference Bob. Chelsea still have blue is the colour going across their big screens every match.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Personally I would love the crowd to sing some old school classic like Ever Fallen In Love (with someone you shouldn't have fallen in love with).

that would be BRILLIANT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here