Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New signing rumour

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
Sorry of it's been mentioned elsewhere, but I have heard a rumour that we are going to sign Eastleigh's prolific goalscorer Andy Forbes. He was previously with Winchester City where he was scoring for fun.

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Maybe our scouts cannot afford the ticket prices to check out the bigger leagues. Our next signing could be from Whitehawk. The usual spiel about being a yongster with "great potential"
Trouble is, while hes with the stripes he is on one big learning curve

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
Full story from the Echo, looks to be coming on trial if we like the look of him:

http://www.thisissouthampton.co.uk/hampshire/southampton/sport/SOTON_SPORT_FOOTBALL0.html

AT the risk of people questioning his sanity, Eastleigh boss Paul Doswell is prepared to sacrifice his two leading scorers for the sake of giving them a break into the Football League.

Neville Roach has already joined Oxford United on a six-week loan this week and, incredibly, manager Doswell is doing his best to fix up top gun Andy Forbes with trials for Brighton & Hove Albion.

The Forbes news will come as a huge shock to Eastleigh fans, but Doswell wants to do right by the player and believes the club will profit long-term by establishing themselves as a breeding ground for players of Football League potential.

Had it not been for an unfortunate court case, from which he was cleared of all charges, Forbes could have got his break into professional football with Sheffield Wednesday or AFC Bournemouth two summers ago when he left Winchester City.

At 26, he now has limited time to achieve his big break and Doswell felt it was only fair to give him the same opportunity as Roach.

He explained: "On the back of Neville getting interest from Oxford, I asked Andy if he'd like one last chance at making the pro game and he said he would.

"I could see he was glancing sideways at Neville, so I spoke to Jason Dodd initially at Brighton and then to the manager Mark McGhee.

"Forbesy's got a calf problem at the moment, but I've arranged for them to come and watch him on December 3, 10 and 17. The plan then is for him to take ten days off work to train with them and potentially get a reserve game in.

"I'd like to think Forbsey would be in with a chance after that but, if not, he'd carry on playing non-League and I'd like to see him training with us on Mondays and Wednesdays.

"I don't want to lose Neville or Andy and I know people might be questioning our sanity. But we've got to be seen to be giving people a chance if we're going to stay true to what we're trying to do bringing youngsters through."

With that in mind, club skipper Nick Burton was released this week to clear a path for young guns Bradley Thomas, Andy Puckett and 17-year-old right-back Jack Smith, who made his debut at Cambridge City last week.

"Nick's a top-drawer lad, but he saw the writing was on the wall for him here in terms of younger players coming through," said Doswell. "He's been in and out of the side injured and he's getting married shortly, which means he'll be away on honeymoon, so we probably wouldn't have had him back until the end of January.

"We felt it was best for him to find another club and I gather he's trained with his old club, Farnborough, this week. They wanted him back prior to him coming here in the summer."

Another defender, Chris Collins, has replaced Burton as club captain ahead of tomorrow's FA Trophy trip to Leighton Town.

With no Roach or Forbes available and young reserve striker Barry Mason out for a fortnight with ankle trouble, Doswell put a call in to Havant & Waterlooville's transfer-listed frontman Dave Town earlier this week, but was awaiting a reply.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I went to uni in Winchester and that guy became a bit of a local legend after pretty much single handedly winning Winchester City the FA Vase.

It's a nice idea and we certainly shouldn't have any problems with offering trials to players, but ultimately he is 26 and has only ever played very low level non-league football.

Mind you, at the same time, Le Tiss was at Eastleigh (don't know if he still is) so he'll have had a good teacher.

I guess Gary Hart is a good example of a nothing league player coming in and doing the job.

Also, didn't we sign somebody from Dover once?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bluejuice said:
I went to uni in Winchester and that guy became a bit of a local legend after pretty much single handedly winning Winchester City the FA Vase.
Ciy were shit when I lived there. (I went to VI form there).

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
Not sure about this one but its worth a go to see if he's any good. I would rather sign a Defender though but we missed out on that on Thursday.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Simster said:
Ciy were shit when I lived there. (I went to VI form there).

Peter Symonds?

God there were some SAWTS from there

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Who knows?... we certainly need someone who knows where the back of the net is...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here