Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] New Sam Smith video (who?)

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Sam Smith are absolutely rocking their new look.

I’m enjoying this thread, it has a surprising quantity of Crodo content.

Normally the fuse is lit and then NSC does the rest, but Crodo is clearly following Sam’s career closely. Have tickets been booked? Is Crodo borrowing a boa from his good lady for as yet unspecified purposes. Has one of Mrs Crodo’s lipsticks gone missing? Has a new username of Croella Nilson popped up on NSC?

Time will tell.

Here’s another track from nine years ago, playing with this stuff and having fun with it. There’s no shame in being late to the party.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I like the fuss though. When I was a youth you had to dye your hair a strange colour to infuriate and confuse the oldies….now you just have to change your pronoun. It’s true, kids have it too easy these days.
thing is, those days the music led. now its pretty meh, they dont seem to even talk about it much, image is more important. that used to be the manufactured bands, image controlled by the label to sell to a particular market. i'm sure there's some deep irony to that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
thing is, those days the music led. now its pretty meh, they dont seem to even talk about it much, image is more important. that used to be the manufactured bands, image controlled by the label to sell to a particular market. i'm sure there's some deep irony to that.
Now the old people say 'meh' (in between getting apoplectic with rage about pronouns). Back in the day the old people said 'they cant even sing'.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And image has always been vitally important in many bands from punk to metal to rock to pop.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
And image has always been vitally important in many bands from punk to metal to rock to pop.
This.

The idea that music hasn't been manufactured and marketed is a very naive view.
Malcolm McLaren didn't even attempt to hide it.

If anything I would say image is less important now than it was in the 70s and 80s

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
So it’s not just tourism and travel then. I’m pleased you have more than one string to your bow.
Because a man dresses like a character in little Britain & sings like a cat that has been pulled along by its lead doesn’t make him interesting or talented if he doesn’t have any real talent .

Boy George had talent , this chap is just an attention seeker with no real talent. Not my opinion just fact.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This.

The idea that music hasn't been manufactured and marketed is a very naive view.
Malcolm McLaren didn't even attempt to hide it.

If anything I would say image is less important now than it was in the 70s and 80s
And surely part of the reason for being a singer or in a band is so you can dress up and prance around on TOTP? It certainly beats sitting at a computer all day.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Because a man dresses like a character in little Britain & sings like a cat that has been pulled along by its lead doesn’t make him interesting or talented if he doesn’t have any real talent .

Boy George had talent , this chap is just an attention seeker with no real talent. Not my opinion just fact.
Which is just a ridiculous thing to say. It clearly IS your opinion. I've no real opinion on them at all but they've won Grammy's, Oscars and Brits, sung a Bond theme, played hundreds of sold out gigs and had numerous hit records and collaborations - I'd say thats someone with at least a modicum of talent. If you don't like their voice or their act then that's your opinion but clearly plenty do. Hundreds of acts I don't personally like or find hard to listen to but it doesn't mean they have no talent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Given your love of Duran Duran I thought you'd be all over a plump singer with a dubious voice in a frilly outfit? :lol:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
He can sing and write songs, his choice of clothes are appropriate for the band he’s in and he doesn’t try to court attention by saying he’s not sure what gender he is !

Also please don’t compare an iconic ground breaking band with a 40 year history of music with a ‘ talent show participant’ who got lucky . He’s just another will young.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
He can sing and write songs, his choice of clothes are appropriate for the band he’s in and he doesn’t try to court attention by saying he’s not sure what gender he is !

Also please don’t compare an iconic ground breaking band with a 40 year history of music with a ‘ talent show participant’ who got lucky . He’s just another will young.

Not a fan myself but Google tells that not only does Sam Smith write their own songs, but also those of other artists, including Mary J Blige https://americansongwriter.com/4-songs-you-didnt-know-sam-smith-wrote-for-other-artists/

I don't need Google to tell me that anybody can wear whatever tf they want. Who cares?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What I like about you, and I genuinly mean this, is I often cannot work out if you are serious or not.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
The best thing about threads like this are being able to play a fun game of ‘Bigot, Idiot or Out The Loop?’

And we can finally reveal the answer…

is stupid and a bigot.

Fair play to anybody who had the double, a truly remarkable double pronged effort here. A classic of the genre.

Join us next time for me another exciting round of Bigot, Idiot or Out The Loop?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
1694535398988.png

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think it’s personally fine to think an artist is shit, whether they’re trendy or not, if that’s one’s opinion. It’s also fair game to take the piss out of their gimmick, especially when it is intentionally and specifically cultivated to generate buzz. Not a fan of Sam Smith. Horrible singing voice which is everything I don’t want to hear, repulsive appearance and overly sexualised image. Also one of the worst Bond themes ever.

Let me do a spot of disabuse here; none of the above means I’m a homophobe, am against new artists or intend to go out burning pride flags. Despite this, I still hate everything about Sam Smith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here