Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New proposals by the FA on Monday - how do they affect us?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not sure I understand this home-grown rule - aren't the following statements contradictory? If you sign a load of 16 year old English players, do they qualify as home-grown or not - the first statement implies not, but the second implies that they are?

A player will have to have been registered with his club from the age of 15 - down from 18 - to qualify as 'home-grown'.

At least two home-grown players must also be 'club-trained' players - defined as any player, irrespective of nationality, that has been registered for three years at their club from the age of 15.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not sure I understand this home-grown rule - aren't the following statements contradictory? If you sign a load of 16 year old English players, do they qualify as home-grown or not - the first statement implies not, but the second implies that they are?

A player will have to have been registered with his club from the age of 15 - down from 18 - to qualify as 'home-grown'.

At least two home-grown players must also be 'club-trained' players - defined as any player, irrespective of nationality, that has been registered for three years at their club from the age of 15.

You have the first statement slightly wrong I think, and some confusion as to what home grown means. The F.A. are saying that a player from anywhere can be classed as home grown if he has been with any F.A. or Welsh F.A. affiliated club for 3 years before he turns 18.
The second statement is correct, it is saying that we have to have two players in the squad who have been with our club since they were 15.

What the FA classes as home grown, is a player signed up for at least 3 years prior to turning 18 at any FA affiliated club

A squad will need 12 home grown players in it, and at least two of them must be what we would call home grown, ie brought through at that club.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
How about the FA sort out that half the nation doesn't care about international football whilst it's run by the current lot, sort that out first and then people may care about future England players.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
On TalkSport last night they said in the last 4 years 1/3rd of players who got work permits wouldn't have under the new rules.

That is the grand total of 8 players......and they probably would have appealed and had it overturned anyway.

The other issue is once a player comes here they don't get re-assessed. Players like Wallace, Salah, Atsu, etc. have been at Chelsea for 2 years but hardly kicked a ball for them, but are now farmed out on loan. If Chelsea aren't playing them they should have work permits revoked.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Unfortunately the PL has more clout and money than the FA. The FA were weak when Sky and the PL came along and I don't think that someone as streetwise as Greg Dyke would have allowed that to happen. Appointing him was so long after the horse had bolted it has now died. Until either Sky implodes or we are removed from The EEC, and can therefore put in more controls, we will have a problem with the future of our international team. I count myself very fortunate to have witnessed a World Cup win, something that won't happen again in my lifetime - I just wonder if the grandkids will ever see it!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that this legislation is aimed at stopping Joe Blogsovich being a lower league player in his native country signing for a Div 2 side in the FL. There will be local or uk born players equally as good. Somebody coming from a 3rd world or non EU country would be willing to take a lower wage than a homegrown player but perhaps be no better ability wise.i

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The FA should take a couple of hundred million from their pot of riches and use it to build out a large number of decent year-round pitches and some cash to sustain them for the next 4 years. Then do it again in 2017. Then fund on-going maintenance.

I agree totally with your sentiment but unfortunately the FA are relatively poor compared with the Premier League. They are still paying off the cost of building Wembley and not likely to do that for another 10 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here