Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New phone - Android advice

Seaford Seagull

BHAFC 'til I die
Mar 4, 2005
Sussex (By the sea)
So I've made the leap to 3G and got myself a HTC Wildfire.

Just wondering what Apps and games you guys would recommend?

Other than the standard 'paper toss' etc are there any decent free games available to while away the hours?

Do Sky Sports do an Android app for checking scores and news? If not, what is the best app to use?

Anyone have any other tips for getting the most out of this phone? I'm still in awe of the amount you can do compared with my old, non-smartphone.

Cheers in advance.

D

Deleted User X18H

So I've made the leap to 3G and got myself a HTC Wildfire.

Just wondering what Apps and games you guys would recommend?

Other than the standard 'paper toss' etc are there any decent free games available to while away the hours?

Do Sky Sports do an Android app for checking scores and news? If not, what is the best app to use?

Anyone have any other tips for getting the most out of this phone? I'm still in awe of the amount you can do compared with my old, non-smartphone.

Cheers in advance.

UK Football News and Info is a good footie app.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Out of interest although its not free, SwiftKey Keyboard is 60p until 30 September, then it becomes £2.50. I've not used it but the reviews seem to be positive.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Swype for texting
ESPN scores for football
3g watchdog to keep an eye on your data usage
Astro File Manager

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Anyone know if skysports mobile is on or coming to Android? I had that app on my iphone which meant i could watch live sports. That is the app i miss the most

next month is the latest word on the Android forums :)

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Isn't there an app on Iphone for the website TV catchup where you can watch any freeview channel online?

That would be a handy one too....

that was a website, not an app. But that doesnt work on my HTC

next month is the latest word on the Android forums :)

That sounds good to me. Hope they let me continue with the payments I am making to have it on my iphone

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
that was a website, not an app. But that doesnt work on my HTC

That sounds good to me. Hope they let me continue with the payments I am making to have it on my iphone

working fine on mine, are you running Android 2.2

your need that to get the flash video enabled :)

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Cheers, but I cant seem to find angry birds in the market place. any ideas?

Yes, you cant see it on the market place as the developers haven't authorised it for use on screens with a resolution like that of the wildfire's (desire and samsung galaxy have a noticeably higher res screen). The app is on the marketplace, however we can't see them as the market place knows that we don't have high enough res screen to use them.

It is anticipated that as the popularity of the wildfire grows then developers will "tick that box", however until then we just can't download them. It's the same for MyPlayer (app for bbc Iplayer).

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yes, you cant see it on the market place as the developers haven't authorised it for use on screens with a resolution like that of the wildfire's (desire and samsung galaxy have a noticeably higher res screen). The app is on the marketplace, however we can't see them as the market place knows that we don't have high enough res screen to use them.

It is anticipated that as the popularity of the wildfire grows then developers will "tick that box", however until then we just can't download them. It's the same for MyPlayer (app for bbc Iplayer).

Apologies, I have a Desire and wasn't aware of the technical differences.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Would any of you fellow Wildfire users know how to send email using a personal address (ie. via Gmail, but not using the Gmail address). I can do it from the web, but not from the app, as far as I can see, but then I'm not the brightest when it comes to techie details.

Have searched all over the web but the suggestions I've found don't seem to work in real life.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I have the desire and watch telly on this site TVCatchup - Never Miss A Show Again
and also yamgo Yamgo Live Mobile TV and Video Streaming is quite good need a good 3g signal.

I just tried this on my desire (as well as having tried BBC football highlights etc) and it doesn't want to work. Do I need to install some sort of advanced video player?

Also, on the Albion site, Seagulls Player loads fine but then doesn't want to play videos, is this the same with yours?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here