New Moons Around Pluto

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Apparently there has been a fairly recent discovery of two new, small satellites around Pluto (that's the ex-planet at the edge of the Solar System, not the cartoon dog) and the International Astronomical Union has been running an online vote to come up with names for them, with the proviso that the name has to come from either Greek or Roman mythology as per the convention for these things.

After said vote it has now been decided that, subject to official ratification, the objects in question are to be called Cerberus and, after a suggestion from William Shatner, Vulcan (as in the nephew of Pluto in Greek mythology, or the place that Mr Spock comes from depending on your preference).

I really can't think of another TV series whose fans/cast have done anything like this, first a Space Shuttle (well, sort of) and now a satellite named as such after campaigns by Trekkies.

I wonder if, the next time one comes up for naming, we can find a Greek or Roman myth about someone called Vicente....NSC has hijacked polls before, of course.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i see you've also decide to run for the most random thread in nsc history title.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Ladies and gents I give you the planet "oftheapes" that would be a classic NSC poll hijack.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Given that Pluto was downgraded from a planet to a Dwarf planetoid any Satellites it may have are going to quite insignificant therefore I propose we call these first two White and Red, as a good starting point for Sol System Billiards

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Uranus.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports