Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New MLS Team - New York City FC

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I would have thought Miami would be 1st choice, very soccer friendly. Albeit the rolling around crying latin variety.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
As a season ticket holder for 2 years now I will stay loyal to the Red Bulls. They delivered what they say they would and their customer service is second to none, as well as being very good value.

NYC FC have clearly done their homework – Queens has good transport links as it is already home to the US Open and the Mets and they obviously have two very powerful backers – but the fact that the Evil Empire (aka the Yankees) are one of those backers make them a No-No for me :smile:

Oct 25, 2003
but they have 20 teams, another 1 could screw things up numerically could it not? never said they 'stole' it from Miami/Florida, I just want to see a team there

they've had 'odd' numbers of teams before, in fact they have it now....the league will almost definitely expand beyond 20 teams...probably 24

florida did have two teams (miami and tampa bay) but both were taken away when the league was less successful. You'd think that with the large hispanic population in miami that it'd be a no-brainer

Oct 25, 2003
to be fair there are what? a million clubs in london? two teams in a city of 8 million people will be OK i think....

london is unique though, hardly any city has anywhere near as many teams as london

football is still an emerging sport in the US...two teams in a city (or rather, area, as NYRB play in new jersey) is still a gamble...it hasn't really worked in LA

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Here's one.

Football is an international sport.

Why don't the Albion join the MLS ? We could do brilliant "road trips" and have some ground filling opponents at home.

Go American Express Albionistas !

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Wasnt referring to you saying about Miami/Florida !! And im sure the Americans would sort it out somehow, they might even add another team on top of Miami/Florida.

Is there anywhere else that has a gap for an MLS team ?

apologies for the confusion - the other options i guess would be looking at where the big universities play soccer, as you could assume thats where some interest is, which you could argue includes north carolina, indiana and maybe just because it is a popular area for sports, michigan

id like to see chivas moved to san diego, keeping another californian team (soccer v. popular there) and close to the mexican border so potentially more mexican fans, but without the stupid chivas name

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
apologies for the confusion - the other options i guess would be looking at where the big universities play soccer, as you could assume thats where some interest is, which you could argue includes north carolina, indiana and maybe just because it is a popular area for sports, michigan

id like to see chivas moved to san diego, keeping another californian team (soccer v. popular there) and close to the mexican border so potentially more mexican fans, but without the stupid chivas name

Agree with moving Chivas, rename them too (San Diego Thunder or some other big American name).

Michigan isn't a bad shout really. Was also thinking about Boston, though that's covered by New England.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Chivas is Spanish for "The Goats", which is the nickname of their parent club (Club Deportivo Guadalajara, second biggest club in Mexico).

And therein lies the first of many many cock ups. If you lived in the USA, would you support a new franchise named "Manchester United Red Devils USA" as a feeble attempt to appeal to "the Limeys" wanting their soccer fix?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a season ticket holder for 2 years now I will stay loyal to the Red Bulls. They delivered what they say they would and their customer service is second to none, as well as being very good value.

NYC FC have clearly done their homework – Queens has good transport links as it is already home to the US Open and the Mets and they obviously have two very powerful backers – but the fact that the Evil Empire (aka the Yankees) are one of those backers make them a No-No for me :smile:

Out of interest which areas does their customer focus excel in? Anything the Albion could learn from?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The MLS is a joke. Franchising football is a big NO for me.

The US is very different though. Culturely a no no in the UK, but it's how they do things in the US and it suits them.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Chivas is Spanish for "The Goats", which is the nickname of their parent club (Club Deportivo Guadalajara, second biggest club in Mexico).

And therein lies the first of many many cock ups. If you lived in the USA, would you support a new franchise named "Manchester United Red Devils USA" as a feeble attempt to appeal to "the Limeys" wanting their soccer fix?

Chivas should have never been awarded a franchise in the US to begin with, I'd like the name to be change so people don't associate them with the mexican team, although now i know it means goats, that makes me chuckle

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Out of interest which areas does their customer focus excel in? Anything the Albion could learn from?
To be quite honest I don’t think there is too much the Albion need to learn about customer service – they are definitely one of the better clubs.

But there were a few things Red Bulls did which really impressed me. I went to the first game of the season two years ago and the food and drink concessions were a complete shambles. On the Monday the CEO sent every season ticket holder an e mail saying this was completely unacceptable and all our charge cards were credited with $10 as compensation. What I liked was the club put its hands up and admitted they screwed up – that gesture probably cost them something like $20,000 but it bought a lot of goodwill. They also published their matchnotes / programme online so you could download it for free before the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here