Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Marriage Allowance

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Look I'm not dissing people who have civil weddings, I just can't see any tangible difference between making a personal commitment to each other and doing the same thing with state involvement (and paying £70 for the pleasure).

Well Civil Partnerships count for this allowance so you could save £212 a year for a start! (terms and conditions apply!)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What has religion got to do with it?

funny you say this, it was objection to using the word "marriage" from religious circles that lead to the daftly named civil partnership for gay couples.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a pathetically small amount though. The whole lot should be done jointly, not just £1,060 of it.

Does happen in Germany

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If you were married you would know this is the ONLY relief you get ???

That's not true. There are Lifetime IHT Reliefs, which if unused can be transferred over to a surviving spouse. There are CGT Free Transfer of Assets between husband and wife. There are Age Reliefs which are granted to Married Couples over a certain age.

And anyhow, who said I am not married ? It is possible to have moral beliefs in something which in effect are detrimental to myself financially.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Look I'm not dissing people who have civil weddings, I just can't see any tangible difference between making a personal commitment to each other and doing the same thing with state involvement (and paying £70 for the pleasure).

It was £13 when my wife and I got married in the register office, 28 years ago.
Best £13 I ever spent!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It was £13 when my wife and I got married in the register office, 28 years ago.
Best £13 I ever spent!

Ok, so being honest, would the two of you still be happy and together if you hadn't got married and decided to just co-habit? I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Being married doesn't keep couples together; couples continuing to love each other keeps them together.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's not true. There are Lifetime IHT Reliefs, which if unused can be transferred over to a surviving spouse. There are CGT Free Transfer of Assets between husband and wife. There are Age Reliefs which are granted to Married Couples over a certain age.

And anyhow, who said I am not married ? It is possible to have moral beliefs in something which in effect are detrimental to myself financially.

This is the best whoooooosh I've seen in ages :lolol:

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
Ok, so being honest, would the two of you still be happy and together if you hadn't got married and decided to just co-habit? I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Being married doesn't keep couples together; couples continuing to love each other keeps them together.

Absolutely. Although I can't quite match the 28 years, my girlfriend and I have been together now for 16 years and don't appear to have suffered due to not getting married. That said, we're considering doing it now as she doesn't like having a different surname to our children. (I know she could just change her name, but it's now just a nice excuse for a big party and to get family and friends together from all over the world).

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Hi NW; I certainly hope we would. However, we both wanted to get married and we feel that having committed ourselves in a legal and public ceremony, somehow made the bond stronger.Very subjective I know and to others it may not make any difference at all.
I know there are marriage failures, I've had one myself...............both too young!, but statistics suggest that those who get married as opposed to live together, tend to break up less. Maybe it is something to do with thinking a teeny bit harder before parting or maybe it is because those who commit to marriage are more committed to each other in the first place.
Each to their own is what I believe and do whatever feels right for you. Good luck to all couples.We also wanted children and just felt being married was the best thing for all of us.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just to clarify, my anti civil marriage stance is a bit of a personal backlash against people always telling me that my missis and I should be getting married. As someone that has been married before - and realised that relationships are just as likely to break down - I don't see the point of putting myself through that again. And that's before I even go into the potential long term financial implications of divorce.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Just to clarify, my anti civil marriage stance is a bit of a personal backlash against people always telling me that my missis and I should be getting married. As someone that has been married before - and realised that relationships are just as likely to break down - I don't see the point of putting myself through that again. And that's before I even go into the potential long term financial implications of divorce.

Fair enough, whatever suits.
I understand your personal backlash. Everytime I see or hear someone lecturing and hectoring on the telly or radio about recommended drinking limits, I feel like reaching for the bottle and at 68 next birthday, I don't give a stuff!:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here