new labour leader

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
With Tony Blair’s departure the 27th June what ever you think of him he is gone bye bye.

But what about the new leader? Ok it looks like it will be Brown but who ever take over will want a change, that could mean a cabinet reshuffle.

This may have been covered before but if Ruth Kelly loses her position in cabinet or changes it what happens about the falmer decision? Does it just get passed to a new member? Do they have to stick to the 9th July date?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I would imagine it would get passed over to the person who may take her job, doubt she'll lose it though to be honest.

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
Ruth Kelly will be a shock winner further delaying Falmer :lolol:

EDIT :down: should have read the thread instead of typing what has already been said

Last edited:

I actually like Read.

He is a good communicator, firm, intelligent and strong.

I am not a Brown fan, we should be guided by the Treasury not led by them.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I still think this hand over of power is wrong. When a PM steps down as leader of the party, it should trigger a general election. End of. I know it is "the party" people are supposed to vote for, but many people vote for "the person" too. Gordon Brown (or whoever succeeds Tony Blair as leader) was not elected to lead the country as PM. And before anyone accuses me of being anti-labour and reminds me that John Major succeeded Maggie Thatcher in the same circumstances, I know, and that was wrong too.

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
pasty said:
I still think this hand over of power is wrong. When a PM steps down as leader of the party, it should trigger a general election. End of. I know it is "the party" people are supposed to vote for, but many people vote for "the person" too. Gordon Brown (or whoever succeeds Tony Blair as leader) was not elected to lead the country as PM. And before anyone accuses me of being anti-labour and reminds me that John Major succeeded Maggie Thatcher in the same circumstances, I know, and that was wrong too.

the position of pm is given to the leader of the majority party. who ever it is will be pm. we don't, like in america, elecet who is the leader of the country that is done through the majority of parlament and the winning party. evn without winning a election who ever will be pm

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
reuters said:
the position of pm is given to the leader of the majority party. who ever it is will be pm. we don't, like in america, elecet who is the leader of the country that is done through the majority of parlament and the winning party. evn without winning a election who ever will be pm

I know that - I just personally find it wrong. Many people base their decision on voting for a particular party by who is leading it.

Why do you think Neil Kinnock never won an election:lolol:

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
pasty said:
I know that - I just personally find it wrong. Many people base their decision on voting for a particular party by who is leading it.

Why do you think Neil Kinnock never won an election:lolol:

fiar enough.

i blame the media for it personal dumd down politics too much on my opinion

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
reuters said:
fiar enough.

i blame the media for it personal dumd down politics too much on my opinion

*fair enough.
*i blame the media for it personally. dumb down politics to much in my opinion

god know what went wrong with my typing there :dunce:

Ms Kelly lists her leisure interests as walking, swimming and watching Bolton Wanderers football club.

Climbing the ladder

Her first job was as an economics reporter for the Guardian, where she is said to have spotted that Tory Chancellor Norman Lamont had broken his "golden rule" in the 1992 Budget.

She moved on to the Bank of England, where she was deputy editor of the quarterly inflation report.

Once an MP, she joined the Treasury select committee and a year later was made a parliamentary aide to Nick Brown, the then minister for agriculture, fisheries and food.

In that role, she had to deal with the foot-and-mouth crisis.

She became a minister for the first time after the 2001 election - joining Gordon Brown's team as economic secretary to the Treasury.

She was later promoted to financial secretary but took a bigger leap up the government ladder in September 2004, becoming minister of state for the Cabinet Office.

She combined that role with being Labour's deputy election and policy co-ordinator, and was involved in drafting up Labour's manifesto for its third term in government.

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
Storer68 said:
Ms Kelly lists her leisure interests as walking, swimming and watching Bolton Wanderers football club.

Climbing the ladder

Her first job was as an economics reporter for the Guardian, where she is said to have spotted that Tory Chancellor Norman Lamont had broken his "golden rule" in the 1992 Budget.

She moved on to the Bank of England, where she was deputy editor of the quarterly inflation report.

Once an MP, she joined the Treasury select committee and a year later was made a parliamentary aide to Nick Brown, the then minister for agriculture, fisheries and food.

In that role, she had to deal with the foot-and-mouth crisis.

She became a minister for the first time after the 2001 election - joining Gordon Brown's team as economic secretary to the Treasury.

She was later promoted to financial secretary but took a bigger leap up the government ladder in September 2004, becoming minister of state for the Cabinet Office.

She combined that role with being Labour's deputy election and policy co-ordinator, and was involved in drafting up Labour's manifesto for its third term in government.

so she's good?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports