Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New Kits Thread - Season 22/23

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
LOVE this shirt. If we had the same template I’d be happier than a grown should be about a football shirt. Oh, and a red version for the change strip.

Lucky, lucky bloody Leicester.

Now just imagine how much better still, it would be, if the adidas logo was the proper trefoil one…

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
LOVE this shirt. If we had the same template I’d be happier than a grown should be about a football shirt. Oh, and a red version for the change strip.

Lucky, lucky bloody Leicester.

Burn him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again. I don't like adidas kits.

I guess the passing resemblance to our British Caledonian kit would make the Leicester shirt okay if it were our kit, but I cannot imagine buying it (over the last few years I have tended to buy a shirt every other season).

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Ive seen lots of posts over the seasons, with sentiments regarding Adidas Kits, Nike Kits, Umbro kits etc

This confuses me a bit as in most cases its a simple "I dont like xxxx kits" or "i really hope we get a xxx" kit this time regardless of design, and often before the design has been revealed

Why the hate for a particular manufacturer? I can understand a "i tend not to like the shirts they have previously produced" but at least wait till its been revealed.

All kit suppliers use templates- unless the team is one of a very select few, which we simply are not, all suppliers have good and bad designs, and peoples opinion on that will vary

What am I missing?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Ive seen lots of posts over the seasons, with sentiments regarding Adidas Kits, Nike Kits, Umbro kits etc

This confuses me a bit as in most cases its a simple "I dont like xxxx kits" or "i really hope we get a xxx" kit this time regardless of design, and often before the design has been revealed

Why the hate for a particular manufacturer? I can understand a "i tend not to like the shirts they have previously produced" but at least wait till its been revealed.

All kit suppliers use templates- unless the team is one of a very select few, which we simply are not, all suppliers have good and bad designs, and peoples opinion on that will vary

What am I missing?

Good question!

My hatred of adidas is because of the need to stick three stripes on absolutely everything - it just annoys me and I don't event know why. I am sure that with less branding, they could make much better shirts.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

What am I missing?

I'm not in the "I hate Nike kits" camp, but there's a nostalgia for me in other manufacturers that isn't there with Nike. This is entirely subjective and probably ties in with being grumpy and middle-aged and having rose-tinted glasses for the the world before Nike, Sky, social media, and James Corden were ubiquitous. There's also something in the deliberate contrarian in me I think, that literally the only piece of visibly branded clothing I own is my Brighton shirt, and the fact it's a Nike swoosh just feels so blandly unoriginal it hurts my over-inflated sense of self-importance and totally irrational and unjustified pride in avoiding labels. Basically, hating Nike says everything about me, and nothing about Nike.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

What am I missing?

For me, Nike offer fantastic athletics kit but they have shown time and time again that when it comes to football shirts, they just don't get it.

Compare that Adidas Leicester City shirt a little further up the thread with the plain blue Nike shirt we had the season before last. The design briefs would have been virtually identical ("a solid blue shirt with white trim") but look at the complete ****ing monstrosity we ended up with - complete with floppy 'choir boy' collars, buttons and a bizarre yellow flash down the side, ffs. If there is a way of over-designing a football shirt and adding completely superfluous or poorly thought through detailing that actually detracts from the overall product rather than adding to it, Nike will find a way to do it.

Having said all that, and somewhat ironically, I think the Nike-designed drill / warm-up kits are some of the best out there and look great. But when it comes to actual playing kit, Nike never fail to disappoint with their inability to execute what should be a fairly simple task. Pretty much all the 'fan-designed' concepts are far superior to anything their design teams produce.

Yes, I understand all the major sports brands are pretty much all part of global conglomerates now; but those with a European heritage (Umbro, Adidas, Puma, Kappa, Errea, Hummel etc) all make decent kits. Personally, I'd love Adidas and failing that, either Puma or Kappa.

Still, as you say, let's see what Nike produce for us this year before judging. But I'm not hopeful.

Jul 7, 2003
Good question!

My hatred of adidas is because of the need to stick three stripes on absolutely everything - it just annoys me and I don't event know why. I am sure that with less branding, they could make much better shirts.

I get that to a degree. However, the mockup someone posted of an Adidas Albion kit made use of the three stripes down the arm and looked really great so maybe wouldn't be so bad for us.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not exactly a new kit but Cercle Brugge presented their new logo yesterday.

c4yr8g5wkc791.jpg

Surprisingly, their fans are not happy.

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
I don't get all the hate for Nike, id say most of the kits we've had with them have been fairly smart, a lot of erreas kits back in the day I think we're a bit all over the place like the 13-14 one. Yes I get there's templates for some but this season's kits I just think worked for us, the template matched the kit well for both the away and third and the homes are nearly always custom as far as I'm aware so I don't really get it, this seasons away was very popular, am I missing something?

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I don't get all the hate for Nike, id say most of the kits we've had with them have been fairly smart, a lot of erreas kits back in the day I think we're a bit all over the place like the 13-14 one. Yes I get there's templates for some but this season's kits I just think worked for us, the template matched the kit well for both the away and third and the homes are nearly always custom as far as I'm aware so I don't really get it, this seasons away was very popular, am I missing something?

Errea made custom kits, which when they were great, were amazing. But when they were poor....

Think Adidas have better designs than Nike.

I am also too old to be buying football shirts.

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
Errea made custom kits, which when they were great, were amazing. But when they were poor....

Think Adidas have better designs than Nike.

I am also too old to be buying football shirts.

Fair point although I noticed with Adidas there's a lot more of the same template going round the smaller clubshttps___s3-images.sportbible.com_s3_content_8912ee925c4c81f0cf7901d0cfae9da2.jpeg

Although the custom ones (which we wouldn't ever get) are better than Nike customs imo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here