Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New gutter won't squeeze into gutter jointing bracket

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Are you familiar with Wickes'? They have 4 clips per jointing bracket whilst B&Q have 2 (each wrapping round all of the semi-circle).

Yes. Just remove the front two clips. push the gutter up into the back clips, refit the front clips, job done. Have done this many times as the weathers seals(strips of rubber) fail after a while and you get drips.

Gutter should follow a standard. I think you will find that Wickes gutter does.

Best of luck.

Yes. Just remove the front two clips. push the gutter up into the back clips, refit the front clips, job done.
I did eventually think that they might be removable, but couldn't shift them; could you explain how please? Maybe only the front clips are removable and I was trying to move the back ones? Most of these reviews report problems but nobody mentions taking clips off.

Last edited:

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
I did eventually think that they might be removable, but couldn't shift them; could you explain how please? Maybe only the front clips are removable and I was trying to move the back ones? Most of these reviews report problems but nobody mentions taking clips off.

Please dont try to remove the back clips, they need to remain fixed because when the bracket is placed against the facia board there will be no room to refit them and it is not necessary for them to be removed.
Remove ONLY the front clips by using your finger strength only. DONT use tools.
How to remove front clips: Firmly hold down on table top the bracket with one hand and pull upwards each clip with all your strength. As said in an earlier response you should practise removing and then refitting a few times to help ease the process.
Fitting the gutter: Place the bracket against the facia board and if if necessary screw into facia board. NB This can be difficult as the gutter already in situ will be in the way.
Either way ( fixed or floating) push the ends of the gutter into (up and under) the back clips. Then as practised earlier refit the front clips. Again this will require a fair amount of strength and if you are stuck high up on a ladder it can be quite dangerous, so take care.

Best of luck.

How to remove front clips: Firmly hold down on table top the bracket with one hand and pull upwards each clip with all your strength.
Thanks, this was the only bit of info I needed; ladder's been up for days now! It's quite sunny here this morning so your solution has come just in time to get the job done before this afternoon's forecast downpours. I do have the much easier B&Q bracket but as I almost broke next door's gutter after screwing the Wickes one to the fascia, I don't want to risk that again by reversing the process! In addition to the more user-friendly full clips, B&Q's also have 3 screw holes, so that 2 are always easily accessible. The lack of this knowledge has cost literally several hours of wasted time, but that's the real price you pay when not employing a professional!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here