Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] New Games Console Recommendations Please

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I loved the last Tomb Raider, and will get this one when it's on sale some time.

Same thought, no doubt it'll be on sale in the new year. Am far too involved with Fallout 4 to be that worried about grabbing it just yet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've seen a few lukewarm reviews of Star Wars Battlefront on the single player mode, but when it comes to Star Wars, I am VERY easily pleased. Just the look of it has me drooling, and I only have to hear the music in that game to get a stirring within my loins.

Anyway, its mainly the new Unchartered I'm waiting for next March. Oh, and I'm hoping to have PES2016 in my stocking this year as well. I keep playing that on the PS4 in Tesco and its absolutely BRILLIANT, just so slick and playable. I've always loved PES over FIFA, and this one is superb, just so instinctive. The missus is usually all the way across the other side of the store by the nuts and wine by the time I finally get summonsed away from it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've seen a few lukewarm reviews of Star Wars Battlefront on the single player mode, but when it comes to Star Wars, I am VERY easily pleased. Just the look of it has me drooling, and I only have to hear the music in that game to get a stirring within my loins.

Anyone else got a view of SW Battlefield?

Thinking of getting it for Papa Jnr for Xmas, but I've read some savage reviews of it on Amazon etc.

He wants the PC version, but I'd rather go for PS4 or Xbox, as at least there's the option for us to play it together, rather than him sat on his own.

That if course returns me to the original question as to which console 😀

So, is SW Battlefield THAT poor?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Thinking of getting it for Papa Jnr for Xmas, but I've read some savage reviews of it on Amazon etc.

He wants the PC version, but I'd rather go for PS4 or Xbox, as at least there's the option for us to play it together, rather than him sat on his own.

That if course returns me to the original question as to which console 😀

It doesn't have a single player campaign, but oh my God it's fun to play. Can't see me getting bored of it for a long time yet.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It doesn't have a single player campaign, but oh my God it's fun to play. Ctan't see me getting bored of it for a long time yet.

I've not played many of this type of game, but don't they always have single player campaigns etc? Will they be adding these later?

Edited to add. Which platform do you play it on?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I've not played many of this type of game, but don't they always have single player campaigns etc? Will they be adding these later?

Edited to add. Which platform do you play it on?
Yes they do usually, I think that's why it's had some negative reviews. They probably won't be added later either. It's only really worth getting if you are into multiplayer games as that's all it is really.

I've got it on Xbox one btw.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

That if course returns me to the original question as to which console ��

I'm loving it. The survival mode is tremendous fun (repel about 15 waves of stormtroopers and scoutwalkers), the snowspeeder level on Hoth is great (bring down the AT-ATs before they take out the power generator), the speeder bikes level on Endor is great, those are the 3 I keep playing, trying to complete them on hard. Loads of weapons, different strategies to try, and...its STAR WARS ! One of the most spectacular looking games I've ever seen, the music and sound is immense.

I've not bothered with online play, and I don't have any friends so I don't know what the 2 player split screen is like, but the single player is bloody marvellous. The missus is already absolutely SICK of it. :thumbsup:

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
PS4 is obviously far superior in every way. (Very well documented) However, it's most important you establish what your sons friends have as he will wish to play with them more than anything.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
PS4 is obviously far superior in every way. (Very well documented) However, it's most important you establish what your sons friends have as he will wish to play with them more than anything.

I have asked him that very question and he wasn't sure. I'll have a longer conversation with him tonight.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I would have said PS4 without hesitation, however, my Son and a lot of his mates are now majoring on XBox, due to the fact that "Everyone has XBox". Think mainly due to EA Pass, or whatever it's called and interactivity with other gamers. Don't understand it myself, I only every play FIFA16, I have to be Real Madrid and my Son Newport County, that way he only wins 3 or 4 nil and "I make a game of it"!

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I intend to order a Wii U just after Christmas as that is my console of choice.

I know the Wii's are not overly cool with the hardcore gamers and it can suffer from not having some of the big titles available on platform but I do not care. You suggest that the console is for the family and the original Wii was designed to be family orientated...But I would imagine if your lad is now getting into gaming and has experience of both the PlayStation and XBox then he might not be too excited by a Wii.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I intend to order a Wii U just after Christmas as that is my console of choice.

I know the Wii's are not overly cool with the hardcore gamers and it can suffer from not having some of the big titles available on platform but I do not care. You suggest that the console is for the family and the original Wii was designed to be family orientated...But I would imagine if your lad is now getting into gaming and has experience of both the PlayStation and XBox then he might not be too excited by a Wii.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

We own a Wii and he had some mates over the other day and they were playing Mario World or similar on it, so it's not that clear cut.

I think HIS uncertainty comes from his mates not being clear whether they're going the Wii U or 'proper' console route.

As it stands we've got a Wii, PS3 and Xbox360, so I want to consolidate into 1 for tidiness. I'll probably try to trade the old consoles and games in, as long as there's some value in them.

Yoda

English & European
A good spec PC, a Steam account and one of these bad boys:
ss_d2f5e7325666df6119ff1d42be73bac9594c5b1e.600x338.jpg

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A wireless controller from Steam. The pad on the right is similar to the mouse pad on a laptop. :drool:

I need to investigate steam now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here