Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New fa chairman Greg Dyke states the bleeding obvious

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Why not, if they are capable of hosting it? It is not their fault that FIFA insist on a summer tournament. They are just as happy to host it in the winter when it is perfectly feasible to play. Who cares if the premier league whine about a winter tournament? There are more leagues in the world than just those arrogant glory hunters.

Do you think any European league will be happy about having to have a large break in the middle of a season. It won't just screw up one season, but the following one and possibly the prior one too. Still think it will happen though, a summer tournament in Qatar is just not feasible.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Do you think any European league will be happy about having to have a large break in the middle of a season.
No they won't but then I'm not happy about the mini breaks we get in our league football so that international friendlies can be played either. They won't admit it, but some clubs will be welcoming it if it actually happens because they'll have a chance to get some injured players back fit for the second half of the season.

ada4bha

Jan 27, 2010
Is this a wind up?

Their bid said they would host it in summer, if they can't host it in summer then they shouldn't host it at all

Absolutely, the bid was presented and won on the basis of hosting a Summer World Cup as were all the other nations bidding for 2022. If it cannot be played in Qatar in Summer then it must be given to the runners up of the bid or put up for auction again...

If the moneygrabbers of FIFA wish to give these exotic places a chance to host then just come out and say 'In the year 20.. we are going to hold a Winter World Cup...the whole world has x amount of years to sort out how they are going to fit it in and then ask the question 'Who wants to bid for the Winter World Cup of 20..?'

Then we will see if Qatar are the best contenders or yet again pay the most for the honour.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
No they won't but then I'm not happy about the mini breaks we get in our league football so that international friendlies can be played either. They won't admit it, but some clubs will be welcoming it if it actually happens because they'll have a chance to get some injured players back fit for the second half of the season.

So, it's not just the Premier league "whining" then.

Oct 25, 2003
Why not, if they are capable of hosting it? It is not their fault that FIFA insist on a summer tournament. They are just as happy to host it in the winter when it is perfectly feasible to play. Who cares if the premier league whine about a winter tournament? There are more leagues in the world than just those arrogant glory hunters.

their bid was on the basis that it would be a summer tournament....it was only after it magically dawned on everyone that it would be ridiculously hot during a qatari summer (and after the ill-fated 'air conditioned stadiums' was suggested) that people started talking about a winter world cup

Oct 25, 2003
i literally can't get my head around the fact that Qatar beat Australia, USA, Japan and South korea to get it

it's so far beyond belief that I'm actually quite impressed....despite how SHIT that world cup is going to be

USA, South Korea & Japan have all hosted fairly recently (although in the states, the game is completely different now)...but Australia would have been brilliant. A great sporting nation where football is really growing, and a country that (now) regularly qualifies for world cups with great and iconic stadiums

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
So, it's not just the Premier league "whining" then.
It's only the Premier League I've heard whining but I've not read a lot of foreign sports press to know if others are too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why not, if they are capable of hosting it? It is not their fault that FIFA insist on a summer tournament.

??? whether they are capable of hosting it is half the question. if you recall (which apparently you dont) their bid included fancy stadiums built with air conditioning and such to deal with the heat. they've since said actually air conditioning isnt technically feasible, but never mind, we can design some cool air (from where?) to flow around the grounds. They bidded for a summer tournament, its expected to be summer and if they wanted to have it in the winter that should have been in the bid. its apparently 27C average LOW and 41C High in the June... it will be a unbearable to play or be a spectator in that heat.

It's only the Premier League I've heard whining but I've not read a lot of foreign sports press to know if others are too.

so because no one else is raising public objections no one else minds? maybe other football associations are assuming its going to be in the summer, as intended.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
so because no one else is raising public objections no one else minds? maybe other football associations are assuming its going to be in the summer, as intended.
You've taken that completely out of context. If you go back further I've already said that others will also be unhappy about it. The comment you highlighted was a response to specific question. I'm sure that some leagues will be happy because our summer is their winter. Not all nations are in the northern hemisphere. If Australia can cope with their winter programme being disturbed once every 4 years (less when they don't qualify) then I'm sure that Europe and others can cope with a one-off.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
??? whether they are capable of hosting it is half the question. if you recall (which apparently you dont) their bid included fancy stadiums built with air conditioning and such to deal with the heat. they've since said actually air conditioning isnt technically feasible, but never mind, we can design some cool air (from where?) to flow around the grounds. They bidded for a summer tournament, its expected to be summer and if they wanted to have it in the winter that should have been in the bid. its apparently 27C average LOW and 41C High in the June... it will be a unbearable to play or be a spectator in that heat.
No I didn't recall that part. Thanks for informing me. However, the air conditioning is feasible. Perhaps they should have a chat with the owners of Chase Field in Arizona.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here