2l96slk.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Ok?

I was curious. Wasn't sure if your comment was suggesting that transgender people etc. are deserving or not of equality.

It was meant to be a light-hearted take on the jokey comment about equality for males and females as far as drinking guidelines were concerned!
That is all!
It obviously failed.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Do you honestly think that Dad would take any notice of these guidelines, they are really only preaching to the converted.

We all know that having a couple of days a week off booze is probably better for us as is eating healthier and not smoking, above that leave it to us to decide whether to adhere to any governments advice.

My only gripe with these guidelines are those that seem to live a puritan lifestyle and fall within these rather low expectation guidelines and then somehow feel particularly superior and condemning of those that fall short of their own life choices.

I bloody hate those kind of people with a passion, demanding some level of reverence for being particularly boring ................................

I've never had alcohol, but it doesn't mean that I judge those that do. Certainly don't expect reverence for it either. My wife drinks, I've never suggested she gives it up?

Does not drinking automatically make someone boring? Is it any different from choosing to be a vegetarian?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've never had alcohol, but it doesn't mean that I judge those that do. Certainly don't expect reverence for it either. My wife drinks, I've never suggested she gives it up?

Does not drinking automatically make someone boring? Is it any different from choosing to be a vegetarian?

Out of interest why don't you drink? Genuinely interested. If it's personal and you don't want to discuss please just ignore.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

There's nothing worse then a non drinking veggie

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
The health police are coming to a pub near you. And quite possibly a supermarket too. First off it was tobacco, now it's alcohol and next it'll be sugar and/or fatty foods. If you've tried to get a doctor's appointment recently, or been referred to a hospital, you'll have a good idea of just how long you have to wait. Yet these people continue to preach different codes that attempt to remove some of the things that make life bearable. I run a pub and I notice that with a very few exceptions our customers are careful about their alcohol consumption. Gone are the days when four or five pints a night on the way home was a general rule. What a pity that the money used to create these rules isn't used in other areas of health care. And, in any case, if they made more effort to deal with the illegal drug issue they'd soon find plenty to occupy themselves...

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I was going to try this no drink thingy for a few days starting tonight, but she's put Take me out on so I'm going to drink my way through it.

They don't tell you how to cope with stuff like this in these guidelines do they?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
in all seriousness, why bother with advice thats simply not going to be followed? 3 units is less than two pints, and while it might be a good idea to not drink 3 pints every single night, drinking 3-4 a couple of times a week would be considered moderate amount by most people. so people will shrug their shoulders, laugh at the advice and ignore it. waste of everyones time, and potentially counter productive as people wilfully ignore preachy limits, when the dont drink every night is the practical part of the message.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Valid point it may be, so let's see them lead by example and shut the subsidised bars within the Palace of Westminster!

Yes, just seen that The Speaker has opposed release of information regarding the several subsidised bars in The Commons.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am of the strong belief life is just random chaos seen loads of cleaner living people than me drop by now to really take this too seriously tbh

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Making the recommendation for women and me the same is no different from making the recommended dose of drugs the same for women and men (which it is, by and large). People are too lazy to look up an exact dose table, and in any case, the response is proportional to the log dose so a 100% difference in weight equaltes only to a 0.3 fold difference in dose.

It is only advice, anyway.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yawn. This is medical advice. Is the state supposed to ignore this, and leave your vaunted individual in the dark about such things? And I don't exactly see the 'nanny state' intervening to encourage or restrict such vaunted individuals from drinking or not, but you carry on.

The science hasn't changed, it's just the state thinks we should go easier. I don't see the stresses of life getting any easier so after 7 years of austerity what's the state's advice on coping if we can't have a drink?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

It was a wee bit tongue in cheek, although strangely I never considered teetotallers position on this.

My general point is that there seems very little science behind this other than an effort to reduce consumption, why have two days free and not say 1 day or 3 consecutive it seems to offer little to those of us that might be willing to listen ?

If we move away from the extremes of consumption then most quite happily and healthily partake in a drink or two, sometimes abstaining, sometimes a glass of wine with food and rarely shit-faced and falling over.

The problem but quite logical outcome are that guidelines soon become benchmarks which in turn become a position to judge and perhaps then penalise be it taxation, health, services etc.

I like science lead information, not state driven interference.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I like science lead information, not state driven interference.

Agree with you entirely. There has been a huge amount of academic research into the impact of alcohol consumption into health though, and this is then summarised when academics attend meetings with government officials. That evidence is then

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/236476.php

If you take a look at Google Scholar https://scholar.google.co.uk/ there are many studies into the impact of alcohol on liver and coronary issues.

Sally Davies, who is associated with the comments you refer to, is a doctor rather than a politician. I think having a chief medical officer who is independent of the pettiness of party politics is a positive rather than a negative.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The ageing process was enough to force me to watch my intake.

Firstly because it seems to take a lot less alcohol to make me feel pissed these days. And secondly because hangovers are absolute horrors now (thirties...just about), compared to when I was in my twenties. I've noticed that if I have even a couple of large glasses of wine, I'm aware of it the next day, not necessarily hungover, but just feeling it a bit. If I've had a few, I'll go to bed and then, without fail, wake up at about 4am, too hot and feeling like crap.

I really can't be arsed with that on a regular basis. There are still moments of weakness, generally centred around Albion games, but I try and force myself to drink a ton of water or milk when I get in afterwards, to at least try and nullify the effects.

Also: I can vouch for El Pres and confirm that his non-drinking status does not in any way affect his position as thoroughly good & entertaining company :thumbsup:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Making the recommendation for women and me the same is no different from making the recommended dose of drugs the same for women and men (which it is, by and large). People are too lazy to look up an exact dose table, and in any case, the response is proportional to the log dose so a 100% difference in weight equaltes only to a 0.3 fold difference in dose.

It is only advice, anyway.

Alcohol may outwardly affect different people in different ways, so for example a 5'3" female might react differently to Uncle Spielberg's aforementioned 6'0", 16 stone bloke. She might appear to be more pissed at any given time (or might not), because that's the effect of alcohol on the brain.

But your size and gender has little or no effect on the way in which your liver processes the alcohol and gets rid of it, and ultimately, it's the liver that's going to suffer as a result of persistent hard drinking, so perhaps that's behind the theory being put forward at the top of this thread? It matters not whether you weigh 20 stone or 8 stone: your liver can only work the alcohol out of your system at the same rate, roughly one unit per hour. That remains the same even if you eat a full meal with it or drink a pint of water when you get home from a night out (hence you might feel better in the morning but still be way over the drink-drive limit)

Thus I guess if you drink six pints, it's going to have the same impact on your liver if you're Stephen or Stacey (or a bit of both).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here