Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New drinking guidelines

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Last time I tried having two or three dry days every week, I came down with a really nasty bug. I reckon you need a very low but near permanent level of alcohol in your bloodstream to fight all the germs off :whistle:

Keith Richards reckons he found the cure to the common cold. Never got one when he was on heroin, but when he switched to booze, used to get 2 or 3 every winter ???

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Last time I tried having two or three dry days every week, I came down with a really nasty bug. I reckon you need a very low but near permanent level of alcohol in your bloodstream to fight all the germs off :whistle:
I think you make a very good point

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Having a couple of days off a week is probably a good idea, but suggesting that when you go to the pub, or for a meal out, you should only drink 3 units, is so ridiculous as to be totally dismissed by most normal people. If the govt wants to curb excessive drinking, put minimum pricing in so supermarkets can't sell at cost or below cost price

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Probably the healthiest thing to do is save up your guidelined allowance and once a fortnight go out and drink 14 pints?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Don't have a problem having 2 days a week without booze, usually do 4 these days. Number of units is another matter.

Same. Rarely drink Mon - Thurs unless we have a midweek game, but do tend to go over the top Friday and Saturday.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But nobody is actually telling anybody anything. It's only advice (which most will ignore).

Personally I've never known why I can't drink 15 pints, get in a car and drive off without a seatbelt - bloody do-gooder nanny state !!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Your liver is a fantastic filter, cleans the blood of toxins, produces bile to allow food to be digested, and stores glycogen. It has an amazing capacity to recover, but drinking seven days a week is putting it to the test unnecessarily.

The NHS guidelines are simply that, guidelines. Most of us cheerfully ignore the recommendations to have five a day portions of fruit and veg, reduce sugar and salt intake, eat less red meat and so on without sneering at the medics, so why behave differently in relation to alcohol?

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
What's the recommended daily allowance of cocaine these days? Seems to be very popular as whenever I visit a toilet in a pub/ football stadium/wedding there are always people sniffing away quite merrily without a care in the world

Jan 30, 2008
What's the recommended daily allowance of cocaine these days? Seems to be very popular as whenever I visit a toilet in a pub/ football stadium/wedding there are always people sniffing away quite merrily without a care in the world
it's a sign of the times:) not for me but i know a few people that were on it big time, don't come cheap???
regards
DR

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The nanny state can do one. Have a drink, don't have a drink, it's up to the individual.

Yawn. This is medical advice. Is the state supposed to ignore this, and leave your vaunted individual in the dark about such things? And I don't exactly see the 'nanny state' intervening to encourage or restrict such vaunted individuals from drinking or not, but you carry on.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
1. At least 2 days a week without alcohol.

2. No more than 3 units per day (bringing the recommendation for men in line with the existing guideline for women).

Oh.

No.1: Pass
No.2: Total fail.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
At the football yesterday was a father and son and the father was absolutely hammered, so much so that I'm not sure whether he would have been allowed in. The kid probably gets a miseducation at home on how much you should drink, so if he's exposed to this 'nanny state's message, good.

Do you honestly think that Dad would take any notice of these guidelines, they are really only preaching to the converted.

We all know that having a couple of days a week off booze is probably better for us as is eating healthier and not smoking, above that leave it to us to decide whether to adhere to any governments advice.

My only gripe with these guidelines are those that seem to live a puritan lifestyle and fall within these rather low expectation guidelines and then somehow feel particularly superior and condemning of those that fall short of their own life choices.

I bloody hate those kind of people with a passion, demanding some level of reverence for being particularly boring ................................

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is there any science behind these figures? The last lot the government trotted out around 20 years or so ago were famously just plucked out the air in a meeting.

I don't have a big issue with guidance like this but prefer broader overall eating-and-lifestyle choice education as opposed to these isolated figures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here