Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New deal with Amex

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Aug 2019 it was announced we'd signed a new 12 year deal worth £100million with Amex for them to sponsor the shirts, ground and training ground. From reading Barber's notes, although the wording isn't clear, I think this is what he is referring to rather than a new deal. I'm fairly certain a new deal over an above the 2019 one would get more than 3 or 4 words towards the end of some notes about the season in a match day program.

I may be wrong but as far as I remember it was agreed and announced in 2019 but only comes into force next season. It is a remarkable deal and will change our income from Amex by 20 fold on the original agreement a decade ago.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I had one years ago. Expensive to own and restricted use.
As far as I recall, the club shop doesn't accept the card.
When I was a supermarket manager, we didn't accept Amex as they demanded too much commission on transactions.

I've used an Amex card at the Amex since day one and had a few extra bonus cashback andnthecshop small bonus over the years. Shop, concourses, on line always accepted it.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I’ve got a BA Amex card. £140 a year fee but get a bogof Avios flight every 12 months. Extraordinary value.

We have a BOGOF Avios from spending 20k in 2019 on it ( we got married£££). With covid its still valid now for another few months as they (BA) keep extending it. Great scheme and well worth it if you fly and in my eyes money for nothing

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
When I was a supermarket manager, we didn't accept Amex as they demanded too much commission on transactions.

That post makes you sound very old - expounding dated views, inaccurate memories and posting as current fact. Both my sons love their Amex cards with only occasionally restricted use.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That post makes you sound very old - expounding dated views, inaccurate memories and posting as current fact. Both my sons love their Amex cards with only occasionally restricted use.

Good luck to them.
I won't have one as I want one.

Nice comment though!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We have a BOGOF Avios from spending 20k in 2019 on it ( we got married£££). With covid its still valid now for another few months as they (BA) keep extending it. Great scheme and well worth it if you fly and in my eyes money for nothing

If you spend £10k annually you get one voucher every year......not always easy to find availability but once you do it’s exceptional, particularly for long haul in business class with the combination of Avios for the first flight and the voucher for the second, paying just the taxes.

As you say they are currently being extended. I used one for a flight that we were going to take in a couple of weeks time, by taking the BA vouchers instead of a refund when I cancelled I’ve now got that voucher valid until late 2023.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Does anybody actually have or use an American Express card these day, or does American Express make its money from something else.

I never seen anyone using one in Asda or Aldi.

The last time I was in an Asda (Marina one, I think) there was a big queue for the single 'pay with cash' till, which I sailed past with my fancy-dan debit card.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Club shop has always taken them apart from the first week or so when the stadium opened. No costs associated with owning one whatsoever, so long as you pay off your balance every month.
The commission issue is often a misnomer, often their commission rate is the same as, or cheaper than other cards, the difference is that Amex take their commission instantly which naffs off businesses, in as mush as the others bill you at the end of the month. My wife runs an auction company and for them Amex is the cheapest of the cards for them to accept.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Club shop has always taken them apart from the first week or so when the stadium opened. No costs associated with owning one whatsoever, so long as you pay off your balance every month.
The commission issue is often a misnomer, often their commission rate is the same as, or cheaper than other cards, the difference is that Amex take their commission instantly which naffs off businesses, in as mush as the others bill you at the end of the month. My wife runs an auction company and for them Amex is the cheapest of the cards for them to accept.

The commission rate with Amex used to be higher than others from what I remember - sure at one point some outlets were being charged as much as 4% vs 1-1.5% for what was 'Access' at the time), but that was back in the 80s - competition has forced them down to be on a par with other CCs over time I guess.

Amex still isn't as widely acceptable as visa/mastercard but it's quite easy to bump up Avios earning - in particular any spend with BA, and also making use of the regular 'double points' (and cashback) offers and suchlike that Amex regularly offer (the app is good for checking current offers). We had a conservatory built last year - got almost enough Avios by paying for it using Amex for a business class flight to the US.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Does anybody actually have or use an American Express card these day, or does American Express make its money from something else.

I never seen anyone using one in Asda or Aldi.

Yes I use my cashback card every single day in pretty much any shop. £24 a year membership fee but get cashback of around £150-200 per year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here