Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] New cycle lane a259 Brighton

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really dont get the no public transport argument. As was said by someone else you can argue this in rural areas but not in the city where public transport is good if a bit expensive. I dont think those making the poor public transport arguement will ever be satisfied unless they get a door to door public service.

Exactly, what they are actually saying is:-

'There isn't public transport from my front door to my chosen destination'.

I forgot to add Brent Toderian to my list of 'take a look at':-

I guess Paris

[tweet]1293309788076441600[/tweet]

& Barcelona

[tweet]1293424136681689088[/tweet]

are also run by the "brain dead".

Last edited:

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011

If only they could.:wink:

topgearbikesjpg-549f102999840bd2.jpg

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Before

& after

[tweet]1294613655254949889[/tweet]

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
So...is Brighton's Green council responsible for the new cycle lane though the centre of Worthing, then? Bloody Greens and Labour councils, forcing all their looney policies on us...oh...

Don’t worry.

We’ll get rid of that ridiculous cycle lane in Worthing soon.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I really dont get the no public transport argument. As was said by someone else you can argue this in rural areas but not in the city where public transport is good if a bit expensive. I dont think those making the poor public transport arguement will ever be satisfied unless they get a door to door public service.

Yes mate. The "we can't install bike lanes until we've got decent public transport" argument is disingenuous. Just because there isn't a tube or a tram, Brighton public transport is easily good enough

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
How did this get signed off? There was already a cycle lane. What about all those people who've paid for parking permits to park there? This and the one on old Shoreham Road are an absolute disgrace.

Someone's gotta walk for this and it needs to be stopped. Who are voting for these people, is it still the hippies and students?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I still can't work out what's going on at the bottom of west street - that road was already down to one lane, and if cyclists are supposed to go onto the pavement, it's probably the worst place for it with that temporary on road pathway. If the bike lane and traffic are supposed to merge, then yeah, there are absolutely going to be accidents.

Cycling along this morning, it looks like they've opened it up, so you can now either enter it via the pavement, or via that left hand lane on the road, which is concerning. Not least because of the bikes cycling westbound being on the right of bikes cycling eastbound. It's a narrow alleyway and it's not a straight run, it's difficult to see too far ahead and west bound you can't see if anyone is coming from the bike path into the alleyway until you're almost out of it (I imagine it's the same eastbound, but I tend to come back through town).

For cyclists coming along on the road/new bike path without pedestrians or sharing the path with cyclists going the other way, to suddenly go into a narrow shared space could cause a lot of incidents because few cyclists tend slow down for that bit as it is. If they've had a clear run to it because of the new path, they'll have picked up so much speed they won't want to slow down. I mean a lot of cyclists don't seem to like slowing down at the best of times.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have no idea how anyone watching this can't wish it for Brighton:-

[tweet]1294749034561904641[/tweet]

Oh and the blue shop entrances designate 'local businesses run by local people'.
An easy way to encourage promoting the local economy, in it's hour of need.

Classy.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Cycling along this morning, it looks like they've opened it up, so you can now either enter it via the pavement, or via that left hand lane on the road, which is concerning. Not least because of the bikes cycling westbound being on the right of bikes cycling eastbound. It's a narrow alleyway and it's not a straight run, it's difficult to see too far ahead and west bound you can't see if anyone is coming from the bike path into the alleyway until you're almost out of it (I imagine it's the same eastbound, but I tend to come back through town).

For cyclists coming along on the road/new bike path without pedestrians or sharing the path with cyclists going the other way, to suddenly go into a narrow shared space could cause a lot of incidents because few cyclists tend slow down for that bit as it is. If they've had a clear run to it because of the new path, they'll have picked up so much speed they won't want to slow down. I mean a lot of cyclists don't seem to like slowing down at the best of times.

As this is a central government "sod the red tape" initiative, it's the Tories.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I very much doubt EVERY car or even the majority of the cars NEED to be there. How many are people going to shops/out/doing a quick run to somewhere/going to work when they could cycle or walk or get a bus etc.

What a very simplistic and self centred world you live in - Must be great there!

I assume you live in Brighton, tell me, what do you do when you need to go to Crawley or Horhsam? Or do you just never leave Brighton? What would you do if you had to work in one of those towns and had to drop kids off on the way to work then pick them up again on the way home and needed a reliable time efficient way to get there? Cycle? Walk? Have you ever tried to get a bus say from Burgess Hill to Brighton in the morning then come back again in the afternoon via say Lewes? What if you have to see a client in the morning in Hailsham, then one in the afternoon in Brighton then one in Lancing before rushing home because your children need to be taken to football? Let me guess, you cycle don't you?

I see alot of comments like yours on here, cycling is great if you live and work in Brighton. Thankfully I live outside of the via place but I still have to go there to work, not as much as I used to thankfully, but I can tell you one thing, if you have to be somewhere at a set time you cannot rely on public transport. But yeah, lets get all the cars off the road and out the city!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If all the lazy gammons stopped using taxis and buses and cycled instead we could get rid of both of those transport mediums, there would be far less road blockage and more room for private cars, work vans and bicycles to co-exist.
Everyone is happy.........not the gammons obviously, unless the health benefits of cycling as opposed to bus riding are educated into them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just wait till the shit weather arrives, it gets cold and dark at 5pm, and starts HONKING down regularly all week. Those cycle lanes will be completely deserted, while we'll all be stuck in our single lane traffic jams with little to no chance of getting home in time for The One Show.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just wait till the shit weather arrives, it gets cold and dark at 5pm, and starts HONKING down regularly all week. Those cycle lanes will be completely deserted, while we'll all be stuck in our single lane traffic jams with little to no chance of getting home in time for The One Show.
Missing the One Show is surely a positive

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why does temperate Brighton suddenly become Oymyakon when discussing bike lanes?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Easier to demolish the small minded selfish simpletons who have had a stranglehold on this countries transport infrastructure for the last 50+ years.

Any one with an ounce of sense would see that the solution is to properly plan and build a fully integrated transport system that allows for all travellers - foot, pedal and motor - to get around the city quickly and safely.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Why does temperate Brighton suddenly become Oymyakon when discussing bike lanes?

I don't know about Oymyakon but the Coast Road from Peacehaven into Brighton certainly resembles Commonwealth Bay more often than not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any one with an ounce of sense would see that the solution is to properly plan and build a fully integrated transport system that allows for all travellers - foot, pedal and motor - to get around the city quickly and safely.
Or we could just talk about it, for another 20 years and get absolutely nowhere, because someone (the motorists) always say no.

As much as I don't agree with 'bosh, cycle lane - deal with it'.

I welcome something actually being done, which can then be worked with.
Instead of 'it won't work so don't even try'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here