Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Club Statement on OS

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
So like I said. Over reaction :lol: NSC is no more split than normal :lol:

Less so than normal I think.....over 70% want him out, and a third of the rest are on the fence.....quite unified in fact.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I suspect a lot of this is due to

-many on the "pro-club" side being unfairly harsh on Gus, retroactively exaggerating his comments
-many on the "pro-gus" side being unfairly harsh on Barber, blaming him for what his job involves

There are other factors, including some fans talking in absolutes, and treating anyone who makes one of the arguments of either side as a representative of all the arguments of that side, but largely I think it's the above thing that is more responsible for the split than the actual ongoings with/actions of the club/gus/LMA.

And you can be on neither side and still be criticised on here.

An example - I think Gus should go. I criticised him post the palace match and feel his position is untenable

I applauded the club for following due process, suspending rather than firing and saying nothing on the matter

I started to have concerns when the leaks and briefings started last week and stated my concerns that what the club was doing was damaging their position (and for those who say its jealousy at not being in the know - I have had more leaks on why Gus is the spawn of the devil than I ever did when managerial changes happened previously. My default position is 'why is someone telling me that?')

I raised concerns about the club release on Monday because I could see where it was going to lead.

That doesn't make me anti club, barber, bloom or anybody. I am anti good hr practice not being followed. And as a hr person and also someone with experience in communications, it is with these lenses I have voiced my concerns. I will say again, there was no sensible reason to make the statement they did on Monday.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
ROSM - you have no need to justify your postings here. It has been refreshing to read from someone who knows a bit about what is happening (and what should happen) on a procedural level.

Carry on Smiley.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham

An example - I think Gus should go. I criticised him post the palace match and feel his position is untenable

I applauded the club for following due process, suspending rather than firing and saying nothing on the matter

I started to have concerns when the leaks and briefings started last week and stated my concerns that what the club was doing was damaging their position (and for those who say its jealousy at not being in the know - I have had more leaks on why Gus is the spawn of the devil than I ever did when managerial changes happened previously. My default position is 'why is someone telling me that?')

I raised concerns about the club release on Monday because I could see where it was going to lead.

That doesn't make me anti club, barber, bloom or anybody. I am anti good hr practice not being followed. And as a hr person and also someone with experience in communications, it is with these lenses I have voiced my concerns. I will say again, there was no sensible reason to make the statement they did on Monday.

Working in hr like you I think it counter productive, a sign perhaps of the club worrying about fans and wanting to know. My hr concern is giving the other side any room to claim pre judgement and I worry we could have done that. That said this was going to court anyway, neither side shows signs of comprimise. I even wonder if gus will turn up tomorrow.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Excellent post. Wasted on many above (not on the poster you're responding too though, of course), many of whom appear to have their fingers jammed in their ears as they shout all the louder. I'm pretty much entirely in line with your take on things but without any of the HR experience or insight/leaks stuff, obviously.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
My reckoning is that Poyet would be on about £20k a week, so a two year payout would be around the £2m mark. If Poyet has broken the terms of his contract and we can bin him without paying it, that is a hell of a saving. I can't blame the club for trying, as FFP would have been tight without all of this mess. Its a shame this couldn't have been worked out without all the animosity, Gus did us proud as a manager.

i reckon its about more than money, i don't think its that simple otherwise why would they be going through all this? I know £2.5m (if accurate as others have said) is a lot of money and people will bend the truth to their own agenda to gain/not lose it but i worry its more serious

Aug 23, 2011
Not one poor interview at all, there are many other things that have happened within the last year and not only the last two months, that I have found hard to take as a fan of the Albion.
Read my signature of a good example of one of them.

regarding your signature, you can also view everything in more than one light it

how about these:
a) Zola has a better grasp of the english language but doesn't dismiss the job just said he didn't want to talk about it with the press
b) Poyet was dismissing quickly by giving the journos what they wanted to hear
c) Poyet likes playing with journos
d) Realistically someone offers you a job on at least 3 times your salary you're going to turn it down? There's no way you or i or anyone of us would and surely someone being honest about these things is more trustworthy?

and no i'm not up Gus' arse or anything i can just read and not jump to conclusions and am also realistic

Aug 23, 2011
I look forward to when this new manager of ours steps in and is a real Albion-loving man of the people who has no interest in his own career gain or wish for a larger budget in order to compete with those higher up the table. That is pretty much what most managers are like, so it will be a huge relief to locate an alternative to the ghoulish egotist Gus "All About Me" "Moneybags" Poyet. Fingers crossed someone of the likes of Redknapp eh.

you do know you're wrong, all managers are saints, its just Poyet thats the anti-christ.

Just imagine Harry being here, we could hear all about Sandra in his post match conferences

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
regarding your signature, you can also view everything in more than one light it

how about these:
a) Zola has a better grasp of the english language but doesn't dismiss the job just said he didn't want to talk about it with the press
b) Poyet was dismissing quickly by giving the journos what they wanted to hear
c) Poyet likes playing with journos
d) Realistically someone offers you a job on at least 3 times your salary you're going to turn it down? There's no way you or i or anyone of us would and surely someone being honest about these things is more trustworthy?

and no i'm not up Gus' arse or anything i can just read and not jump to conclusions and am also realistic

Let me be the first to congratulate you on having these wonderful attributes.

Aug 23, 2011
How do you know it only took a couple of days/weeks. The club then builds a case, 500 pages suggests that needed time. Poyet has been on annual leave, and was only due to return Monday, which the club set as his hearing date. I don't see how it could have been done quicker unless the club rushed it through in a matter of days. They cannot release him from duties without a hearing. I know its completely alien to how most managers leave clubs/ get fired, and for that reason I believe the club have Poyet by the short and curlys, and he will leave this club without a penny being paid to him in compo (which I dont see would have been an issue otherwise if it was as simple a case of just firing him), and possibly with a huge bill around his neck. I cannot see any other reason why the club have taken this route, and for that I believe they KNOW they are 100% correct for going this way.

Roll on the end of the week

do you really think if it was so cut and dried, Poyet wouldn't have accepted the offer earlier and walked away or negotiated the offer rather than rejecting it (thats an assumption as i have no idea whether negotiations took place after the offer was given). He amy be stubborn but he is certainly not stupid and he could have walked away without no tar on his character with the usual "mutual consent parting" stock phrase

Aug 23, 2011
Less so than normal I think.....over 70% want him out, and a third of the rest are on the fence.....quite unified in fact.

do they? is that the vote that was performed just after the club statement on monday? nothing like a reactionary vote. Its like hearing just the prosecutions case in a trial and then asking the jury how they will vote

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Spot on.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
There are quite a few excellent posts but for the most part this thread :smile:

gee-thats-an-awfully-high-horse-your-sitting-on-dont-get-h.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Some of the pro Poyet posters have some unbelievable comments and in some cases, names not mentioned but they need to 'mello' out a little (some of his posts are hysterically fatuous!)

I am, and always will be, a fan of Brighton and Hove Albion. Even when we were under the control of Archer, I was a fan of the club. It beggars belief that some have seem to have switched allegiance from the club to a transient employee who has had the good fortune to be in charge of the club at a time when their value and funding were definitely on the up. What would McGhee, Adams, Taylor, Brady etc have given to have been in charge of the club with the money available that Poyet has had. Undoubtedly has imposed a style of football across the club but it remains to be seen whether that is continued with the next manager who may have a different style or may enhance where we already are.

What will be as certain as certain can be, is that whomever is the next manager, the club will be here long after he has gone.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Some of the pro Poyet posters have some unbelievable comments and in some cases, names not mentioned but they need to 'mello' out a little (some of his posts are hysterically fatuous!)

I am, and always will be, a fan of Brighton and Hove Albion. Even when we were under the control of Archer, I was a fan of the club. It beggars belief that some have seem to have switched allegiance from the club to a transient employee who has had the good fortune to be in charge of the club at a time when their value and funding were definitely on the up. What would McGhee, Adams, Taylor, Brady etc have given to have been in charge of the club with the money available that Poyet has had. Undoubtedly has imposed a style of football across the club but it remains to be seen whether that is continued with the next manager who may have a different style or may enhance where we already are.

What will be as certain as certain can be, is that whomever is the next manager, the club will be here long after he has gone.

tend to agree
but things could have been done a little better
bit chicken and egg this Gus did have some money to spend as the club got bigger and the crowds came but would any of the managers you mention (god bless them) have bought in crowds like Gus has like him or loathe him he is a crowd pleaser and will be a hard act to follow and I look forward to the next manager whoever he is because if he does not come up to scratch this board will go into total meltdown as is its way
just hope for his or her sake they have very large shoulders
edit
and a very thick skin

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
tend to agree
but things could have been done a little better
bit chicken and egg this Gus did have some money to spend as the club got bigger and the crowds came but would any of the managers you mention (god bless them) have bought in crowds like Gus has like him or loathe him he is a crowd pleaser and will be a hard act to follow and I look forward to the next manager whoever he is because if he does not come up to scratch this board will go into total meltdown as is its way
just hope for his or her sake they have very large shoulders
edit
and a very thick skin

His or HER sake?!

I trust that whoever Tony Bloom appoints as next manager will know a bit about football; this means it'll be a bloke.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Even when we were under the control of Archer, I was a fan of the club.

Erm, I think you really need to explain what that means. You didn't take part in any of the protests, then? You were one of the few who insisted on defying the boycott of the Mansfield match? You were happy when Archer and Bellotti were sending us down the road to certain oblivion?

As for the pro-Poyet posters making 'unbelievable comments' and needing to mellow out, the same could be said of some (and I stress, some) anti-Poyet posters on here (eg 'b.w') who clearly despised him anyway before any of this happened and are rubbing their hands with glee that he is on his way out.

For me, the most ridiculous comments are those that are being made without a shred of evidence, before any of the facts are known. No-one knows what actually happened, but everyone's prepared to judge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here