Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Club Statement on OS

As for leaks ... I'll simply report that, a few months ago, someone senior at the Club did reveal to me - without any prompting from me - some surprising information about a situation that was developing at the time (nothing to do with Gus Poyet, btw). I have no idea why he was telling me something, but subsequent conversations with a few other people have confirmed that there was some substance in what was being said.

I've not posted anything about this on NSC, nor will I now, and I won't reveal my sources. The only point I'm making is that there are people in the organisation who seem happy to be passing out inappropriate information, to serve an agenda which is not that of the Club.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-lma-871572.aspx

"Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club was disappointed and concerned to see comments made by the League Managers' Association in advance of the reconvened disciplinary hearing involving Gus Poyet. The LMA's statement was neither fair nor accurate.

The club will not comment further at this stage because it is important that the disciplinary hearing takes place according to the relevant timescales and procedures. Meantime, the LMA is fully aware that the club has reserved its right to consider further action regarding the LMA's statement once the disciplinary process is complete.

I'm pleased to see the club calling it out. The LMA, like a union, represents the interests of the managers...whatever the weather. Our Club needs to represent the interests of the club, keep the bat straight and not bow to pressure.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The club see Thu as the last chance for Gus to attend his hearing (and has publicly stated so). If he fails to turn up (I doubt it), then I presume he will be dismissed in absentia, Fri latest.

You are probably right but don't be surprised if it rolls on a bit longer. Legalities might mean they have to give him proper time to respond and the LMA statement has obviously got the club riled so they won't want to put a foot wrong terminating his employment.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
... which in turn means putting the record straight regarding the LMA's statement.

Not from a legal point of view, no. Any lawyer would have reccomended that the Albion do not reply. However as a fan I wanted them to reply to restore some faith. So it's a toss up between standing up for yourself and not risking more legal trouble.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Nail right on the point - I like that! :)
TBH, I think the majority on this thread are 'with' the club, but a little worried that the club must be on solid ground, or it could be in trouble.

Ill tell you where I am. I will always support this club regardless of who is the manager. It is clear to me that something has gone horribly wrong between Gus and the club or a major mover in the club. It is got to the point where Gus's position is untenable. Theerfore this should be transparently dealt with and if we cannot properly deal with this then we have to pay the costs for it. Right now I am very worried that the club are not dealing with this well and this may result in serious damage to our club/brand and financial cost.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Ill tell you where I am. I will always support this club regardless of who is the manager. It is clear to me that something has gone horribly wrong between Gus and the club or a major mover in the club. It is got to the point where Gus's position is untenable. Theerfore this should be transparently dealt with and if we cannot properly deal with this then we have to pay the costs for it. Right now I am very worried that the club are not dealing with this well and this may result in serious damage to our club/brand and financial cost.

spot on SCS
I was on about the club being transparent in their dealing about this right at the start (and I got flamed) and the damage to the club could be immense not only money wise but support wise as well ,Tony built this club along with the supporters and was going very well until this mess that will take some time to get over
what the hell was wrong with doing this behind closed doors quickly quietly
you have done a good job here mate thank you goodbye

surely the cost of all this is going to be more than any pay-off and my fear is that if the club do lose this there will be something akin to a bomb explosion within the game and more particularly the Amex

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You said that the club should just pay off Gus - that's a cool £2.4m - and just get on with next season. That's why you had people disagreeing with you.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Or they are handling it in an incredibly professional manner instead of like a tin pot old fashioned club.

Unions are all about spinning their own propaganda. To not respond to them gives them the appearance of being totally factual in what they report to the public.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Those asking for transparency, what exactly do you want? Do you demand to know the full nature of the disciplinary action being taken, ie access to the investigation report? Do you honestly believe you have an entitlement to that info before any hearing has been held.

The alternative to the process the club have gone through would have been to sack Poyet at the outset. That would have left them open to a case of unfair dismissal as the club did not, presumably, follow it's own disciplinary policy. There are countless examples of managers suing clubs for wrongful dismissal, probably most ending with some sort of pay off.

If you were being disciplined by your employers, would you be happy if the report into your alleged actions was circulated to all on sundry before you had a chance to answer the charges.

Personally, I'm relatively comfortable with the process that has taken place other than for the clubs comment that Poyet didn't turn up on Monday which certainly inflamed the situation a little.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
spot on SCS
I was on about the club being transparent in their dealing about this right at the start (and I got flamed) and the damage to the club could be immense not only money wise but support wise as well ,

How can the club be transparent on this issue when going through the legal process?

Tony built this club along with the supporters and was going very well until this mess that will take some time to get over

Tony gave the supporters what they wanted not with their help and that gives him the right in my opinion to run the club the way he feels best and not with the input of tw*ts like me and you.
what the hell was wrong with doing this behind closed doors quickly quietly
you have done a good job here mate thank you goodbye.

I understood he had been offered a behind closed doors way out, which Gus refused, I could be wrong there though.

surely the cost of all this is going to be more than any pay-off and my fear is that if the club do lose this there will be something akin to a bomb explosion within the game and more particularly the Amex.
How can you possibly know how much this is going to cost the club and I think you are being a drama queen with that assumption.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Or they are handling it in an incredibly professional manner instead of like a tin pot old fashioned club.

Unions are all about spinning their own propaganda. To not respond to them gives them the appearance of being totally factual in what they report to the public.

This is a legal matter, not the x factor. It isnt about winning a public war its about winning a contractual argument. I know public opinion is more important for a football club than it is in most businesses, but the public don't vote on the outcome.

Most fans I am sure believe his position is untenable. Whether it is because of what he said, or because he may have breached his contract or because even if he hasn't, its impossible for him to come back to work for us. Saying nothing wouldn't have changed this. It certainly wouldn't have caused the lma to make their comment.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Those asking for transparency, what exactly do you want? Do you demand to know the full nature of the disciplinary action being taken, ie access to the investigation report? Do you honestly believe you have an entitlement to that info before any hearing has been held.

The alternative to the process the club have gone through would have been to sack Poyet at the outset. That would have left them open to a case of unfair dismissal as the club did not, presumably, follow it's own disciplinary policy. There are countless examples of managers suing clubs for wrongful dismissal, probably most ending with some sort of pay off.

If you were being disciplined by your employers, would you be happy if the report into your alleged actions was circulated to all on sundry before you had a chance to answer the charges.

Personally, I'm relatively comfortable with the process that has taken place other than for the clubs comment that Poyet didn't turn up on Monday which certainly inflamed the situation a little.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

which IMHO is what they should have done in the first place if they did not want him as manager of the club and paid him off.
Instead they now this fiasco and if they lose this case even more of a fiasco on played out in public and they still have to pay out.

I know Tony is a gambler but thats one hell of a punt to take

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This is a legal matter, not the x factor. It isnt about winning a public war its about winning a contractual argument. I know public opinion is more important for a football club than it is in most businesses, but the public don't vote on the outcome.

If the managers unions comes out and spreads false claims then I want the club to come out and refute their claims instead of letting them spreads untruths.

Most fans I am sure believe his position is untenable. Whether it is because of what he said, or because he may have breached his contract or because even if he hasn't, its impossible for him to come back to work for us. Saying nothing wouldn't have changed this. It certainly wouldn't have caused the lma to make their comment.

The LMA doesn't care about the club, saying nothing would have given what they are saying some legitimacy. If they are talking shit in public then they need to be called out on it.

Not allowed to say what they like without any recourse.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
:ffsparr:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
which IMHO is what they should have done in the first place if they did not want him as manager of the club and paid him off.
Instead they now this fiasco and if they lose this case even more of a fiasco on played out in public and they still have to pay out.

I know Tony is a gambler but thats one hell of a punt to take
How much do you think the payoff would have been? He still has two years left on his contract and we wouldn't be paying him buttons. I'm pretty sure that this approach is as a direct result of the new FFP rules. Championship clubs have been forced into being more creative with how they handle finances, and a big payoff could push us into the big FFP fines.

The club may lose the case, we may have lost preparation time BUT I'm glad that they are fighting tooth and nail for this.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
The lma only responded to the clubs ham fisted statement on Monday that the hearing commenced and Gus failed to attend. As @drew says. This was an unnecessary comment.

The lma gave a selective bit of information in their statement. The clubs repost gives no further specifics just that its inaccurate and unfair.

I personally don't want to know the ins and outs of this. I just want it sorted in the most expedient and dignified manner for ALL concerned.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
What is wrong with this club at the moment? Why on earth do they feel they have to make this statement? Criticising the LMA will almost certainly deter future managers from joining this club. Shambles.

cant help thinking Barber is an autocrat on a power trip. He is the CEO the top of the tree in the day to day running of the club and this shambles is his responsibility.

Is the club coming before his ego?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
cant help thinking Barber is an autocrat on a power trip. He is the CEO the top of the tree in the day to day running of the club and this shambles is his responsibility.

Is the club coming before his ego?

We have a head of hr, Rose Read, who has been at the club since 2010 who handled the recruitment of the new staff, presumably was involved in Gus contract extension dealings, is likely handling the suspensions, investigations and disciplinary hearings and also the downsizing. Is she the most in focus person at the club right now? Certainly the busiest. She likely reports to Paul Barber.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here