Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Club Statement on OS

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
How does that constitute 'defending the LMA statement to the hilt'? There's the comment about them selectively addressing points, and simply mentions it gives more detail.

But OUR club say it is unfair and inaccurate. Tell you what, I'll believe TB et al. You believe his/her post and the LMA.

ada4bha

Jan 27, 2010
If we have to set a precident like bosman did, then i am all for it.

greedy managers and players are the ones shitting on clubs and fans.

Absolutely this

we have the world looking at our stadium and other stuff, why not at our employment contracts and clauses etc

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Seems to me like the club is trying to do all of this 'by the book'. Its encouraging that they are aware of the legalities involved, and that gives me confidence that they have thought this through.

Beware LMA, your all guns blazing approach doesn't seemed to have worried the club. In fact it looks like you will be next up in court.

I trust Tony Bloom, and I believe we'll come out of this stronger.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hold on a minute. I know you put me in the "happy clappy gang" category. What you won't know about the FFA team is the number of times we advised the Club that it WOULDN'T be a good idea to air some of the big issues in public. An example (and it's probably safe to identify this issue now) was the FACT that very senior people at Brighton University at the time were so implacably opposed to co-operating with the stadium project that it could easily not have happened, because they weren't minded to make the land available - despite the fact that everyone believed they were onside with the project.

The issue was whether to take them on publicly, or keep quiet about the issue. There were those within the Club who reckoned they could out-fight the University in a public row, and the FFA team who advised that a couple of years of complete silence might be the better tactic. Silence prevailed.

There were, of course, issues where FFA people (including ROSM and myself) did defend the Club "to the hilt". Were we wrong?

It's not about being a "proper" business. It's about being a business that retains the brand loyalty of its customers. There are real signs (read this thread) that the Club are now struggling to achieve this. They should be doing better.

The most enlightening post so far ( mine excepted of course ! ).

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
There is a huge amount of crap on this thread, imho. The club has been hugely professional in this entire, extremely difficult (in fact, unprecedented) episode. I'm pretty sure most other clubs would have just fired Gus without any due process. The club realises it's a proper business and has to respect employment law (an oddity in the world of professional football).....the LMA should be grateful that at last a club is doing things by the book - instead, they decide to enter the fray when they had absolutely no need to. I can understand why BHA is pretty upset.

We should be thankful that we have a group of directors who want to manage this club professionally, in a financially sustainable way....instead, various people seem determined to undertake a smear campaign against Paul Barber, without any understanding of the actual issues. They even trot out this "fans not customers" tripe (what Barber actually said was that the club should not take supporters for granted - they should treat them like customers....it was meant to underline the need to IMPROVE the treatment of the fans, but various people choose to deliberately misunderstand this).

It seems quite a few on here would rather we followed the example of (say) Blackburn, who ignored the basics of employment law and ended up shelling out £2m to Henning Berg.....thankfully we are in the hands of extremely competent managers who will ensure this is sorted, properly - even if it is taking a bit of time. That's what due process requires.

End of rant!

Top Post:clap2:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The most enlightening post so far ( mine excepted of course ! ).

Agreed. Excellent post. I'm so glad that a blithely unquestioning "our club, right or wrong" approach hasn't always predominated. We wouldn't have a club now of any kind if it had.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If your source is correct then fantastic we can all move on. I think you believe people who do not currently bash Poyet (call him monkey face etc which some Brighton fans have in the last few days) are all Poyet lovers I do not think this is the case. We just want the club to act in a professional manner, free of any spin.

Fair enough, I certainly don't agree with racist anti-Gus posters. However, I equally don't agree with those who are underestimating what Tony has done for our club. Who seem to have lost faith in him, the club and board, and who appear to fail to understand the difficult brief that PB has (think of it as a necessary 'evil' if you like).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Jesus Christ @B.W. - talk about spamming the forum until your view is rammed down everyone else's throats.

The board are always going to make mistakes, they are only human, & nobody doubts that they are doing what they think is best for the club - but it is apparent (in many of our opinions) that the club is not going the best way about this.

In my opinion it has been a monumental **** up from the outset - but that is my opinion, despite how unpopular it may be.

It doesn't matter what thread you post on you always manage to post ill thought out drivel.

In your 'opinion' how should the club have handled this differently other than off course never threatening to get rid of Poyet in the first place irrespective of what things he may or may have alleged to have done.

Maybe the reason you are so anti Bloom is the realisation now that your idol isn't coming back to manage the team.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
But OUR club say it is unfair and inaccurate. Tell you what, I'll believe TB et al. You believe his/her post and the LMA.

I'm not sure you quite understand that it isn't black and white as you make out. Gus may well have done some bad things ( it will hopefully become apparent one way or the other soon ), the LMA might well be biased BUT seriously, the club have to shoulder some blame for the current mess. ALL parties have acted unprofessionally but I would NEVER, I repeat NEVER, put my blind faith in the owner or board or ANY club - ours included. With so much money at stake it would be naive and dangerous to do so.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Agreed. Excellent post. I'm so glad that a blithely unquestioning "our club, right or wrong" approach hasn't always predominated. We wouldn't have a club now of any kind if it had.

But it's got nothing to do with 'blithely unquestioning our club, right or wrong' and everything to do with people who know nothing of the detail criticising the club because they don't like the cut of Barber's jib. To align that with fighting for our survival is so far wide of the mark it's gone into orbit.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm not sure you quite understand that it isn't black and white as you make out. Gus may well have done some bad things ( it will hopefully become apparent one way or the other soon ), the LMA might well be biased BUT seriously, the club have to shoulder some blame for the current mess. ALL parties have acted unprofessionally but I would NEVER, I repeat NEVER, put my blind faith in the owner or board or ANY club - ours included. With so much money at stake it would be naive and dangerous to do so.
I can see where you're coming from, but I can think of 150,000,000 reasons to believe that our club's owner is on the side of the angels.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You're not making a huge amount of sense tbh but on this particular point...as this thread so amply demonstrates, they've really hit the nail right on the point with that.

Nail right on the point - I like that! :)
TBH, I think the majority on this thread are 'with' the club, but a little worried that the club must be on solid ground, or it could be in trouble.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I can see where you're coming from, but I can think of 150,000,000 reasons to believe that our club's owner is on the side of the angels.

The more money at stake the bigger the risk ! I'm sure Portsmouth fans were more than happy with what appeared to a massive investment by numerous owners, or indeed Cardiff fans with their benefactor. I'm not suggesting or even implying TB is like this BUT we should never forget and always question what the club does. That way we keep, well, a club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Jesus Christ @B.W. - talk about spamming the forum until your view is rammed down everyone else's throats.

The board are always going to make mistakes, they are only human, & nobody doubts that they are doing what they think is best for the club - but it is apparent (in many of our opinions) that the club is not going the best way about this.

In my opinion it has been a monumental **** up from the outset - but that is my opinion, despite how unpopular it may be.

Well, I have responded only where I feel appropriate, but I agree there are a lot of posts from me on this thread. I do NOT apologise for that; as far as I know, there is no upper limit set! Meanwhile, your posts are few in number and also low in quality. Congratulations on that!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
500 pages could be full of hearsay and conjecture it depends how many provable facts are in there. I assume you won't be allowed to tell us what the main breach was if its all decided behind closed doors like I suspect it will be?

I presume the clampdown on this one is permanent, no matter what the outcome. I will be EXTREMELY surprised if anyone but the chosen few will ever know the details.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Utter Nonsense

But it's got nothing to do with 'blithely unquestioning our club, right or wrong' and everything to do with people who know nothing of the detail criticising the club because they don't like the cut of Barber's jib. To align that with fighting for our survival is so far wide of the mark it's gone into orbit.

Very Good sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here