Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Club Statement on OS

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
They need the PUBLIC (well, as much of it as possible!) back onside.

You're not making a huge amount of sense tbh but on this particular point...as this thread so amply demonstrates, they've really hit the nail right on the point with that.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Members of the LMA, football managers, regularly meet for conferences and dinners and suffice to say this mess will be discussed - with Gus Poyet in attendance - and I suspect practically every other manager serving in this country will be on his side, rather than ours.

Getting on the LMA's bad books will not do the club any favours considering it consists of many of the most important people in English football.

What people like Alex Ferguson in the past??? Don't make the mistake of thinking Poyet is universally popular amongst his fellow manager's. I would think there are quite a few that haven't got much time for him....As far as any managerial job that comes up, there are never no shortage of applicants.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think it shows exactly the opposite of that: as ROSM rightly points out above, they've detailed nothing about their objections to the LMA other than issuing a vague and knee-jerk prickly, tetchy little legal threat which makes them look hyper-defensive, rather than confident. I'm rather surprised so many fail to recognise the vast difference between the two.

But that's an individual interpretation and not based in one shred of fact. I think it looks like a well deserved response and having worked with Unions in my business am highly used to hyperbole and ill founded PR is such situations on their part.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes but however accurate your super great source is, could it be possible that they knew the allegation(s) and told you that he's gone but there hasn't been the evidence to back it up? I'm not asking you to say what it is as you cant but do you know what the breaches relate to?

I know that what my source told me could be used to bring a case for breach, providing there is evidence, which you rightly question. 500+ pages suggest to me the evidence is now in place. In which case, it's :bigwave: Gus.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Be in no doubt, the club are playing a blinder.

Gus's mouth has cost him dear, and the LMA will also lose out if they want a ruck.

So good people of NSC, sleep well.

TB

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
Jesus Christ @B.W. - talk about spamming the forum until your view is rammed down everyone else's throats.

The board are always going to make mistakes, they are only human, & nobody doubts that they are doing what they think is best for the club - but it is apparent (in many of our opinions) that the club is not going the best way about this.

In my opinion it has been a monumental **** up from the outset - but that is my opinion, despite how unpopular it may be.

I do not often agree with you, actually this is probably the first time but credit where its due, THIS

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
does anyone really think Tony Bloom would gamble tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds on something that he thinks he might lose. He can afford the best legal team money can buy and will have had them in place and fully aware of the situation for weeks if not months. I suspect Poyet and the LMA have walked head first into the trap.

what I don't understand (if it's true) is that Gus turned down a financial offer, unless that offer was that Gus should pay us £2m.

Yes, the wording re the offer in the Argus threw me a bit too. It could be construed the way you suggest I suppose.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Jesus Christ @B.W. - talk about spamming the forum until your view is rammed down everyone else's throats.

The board are always going to make mistakes, they are only human, & nobody doubts that they are doing what they think is best for the club - but it is apparent (in many of our opinions) that the club is not going the best way about this.

In my opinion it has been a monumental **** up from the outset - but that is my opinion, despite how unpopular it may be.

I cant believe you of all people has written that at B.W when you have been by far the biggest culprit in spamming pro Poyet Anti Barber diatribe for days now. It's almost as if you've got your hands over your ears whilst shouting lalalala refusing to consider any view that doesnt sit with your completely obsessive support of our ex manager.

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex

and you have never spammed any thread and rammed your opinion down peoples throats?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think it shows exactly the opposite of that: as ROSM rightly points out above, they've detailed nothing about their objections to the LMA other than issuing a vague and knee-jerk prickly, tetchy little legal threat which makes them look hyper-defensive, rather than confident. I'm rather surprised so many fail to recognise the vast difference between the two.

Just an opinion, but I believe the club are (correctly) stating the minimum, i.e. the LMA statement is inaccurate and unfair. Why do they need to say more? At least unless and until they take the LMA to court.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham

Assuming you now recognise that there is no way back for gus I guess you mean agree to pay him 2.5m. Easy to say when it is not your money and like the rest of us have no idea what the charges are against gus. But in your eyes gus will always be innocent. Myself I prefer to support the club rather than the individual. gus did a really good job but he is a manager and they come and go. I guess if gus leaves you will not be going next season?

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
I know that what my source told me could be used to bring a case for breach, providing there is evidence, which you rightly question. 500+ pages suggest to me the evidence is now in place. In which case, it's :bigwave: Gus.

500 pages could be full of hearsay and conjecture it depends how many provable facts are in there. I assume you won't be allowed to tell us what the main breach was if its all decided behind closed doors like I suspect it will be?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Complete joke. The club are looking like ****ing idiots.

Any other club and we'd be laughing our socks off.

What a farce.

Hi Giraffe. Again, you are entitled to your opinion, but why is this a farce? Suggest you wait until Thu.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

pot-kettle-black.jpg

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You can. Personally, I would take what someone at the club says with a pinch of salt, as I would anything anyone close to gus says. Each side will have their own view of things.

But the point was you seemed to suggest someone was unreasonably assuming gus's innocence, and instructed them to engage their brain before they post. For most people, this elf us who don't have someone from either side trying to put their side out there, or passing on to them info from people trying push their side, innocent until proven guilty is the normal approach, and so there's nothing wrong with what that poster did in assuming gus's innocence.

I take your point. If it was MK, then I do NOT apologise. Otherwise, I am sorry.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011

To be fair to B.W. people have challenged him and asked questions and he has answered them and not confrontational (well not to me). I may not agree with all he says but he's at least willing to back himself without resorting to name calling

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is a lot of hogwash on here, particularly from what probably purports to be the Gus camp.

As I see, the club have done everything by the board, the only criticism I would have is the reference to Poyet not turning up. It may have been wiser just to say the meeting was adjourned till Thursday. A large vocal minority have been banging on about there being no information available and transparency forgetting that the club could not release any info as there was a due process to undertake. The reason it has taken so long is that it has to be thorough and also that Poyet has been out of the country on an extended holiday and not available for a hearing. We were led to believe there was due to be a meeting last Friday and presumably that was 'leaked' by the club but possibly to try and ensure Poyet returned to face the hearing. It's possible they were expecting him back some time ago and could never get a definitive date from him.

As for the LMA, they are a voice but no one really heeds what they say. Let's not forget that their members regularly poach, tout for, and probably act in a very underhand way in get jobs from their fellow 'union' members!!!

I am, so far, still relatively happy with what the club have done and hopefully this will be resolved this week. It would satisfy my curiosity if they could have emailed me a copy of the 500 document but funnily enough I understand why they didn't.

Equally, I'm reasonably confident that a replacement is waiting in the wings, hopefully someone like Oscar but certainly not someone like Redknapp!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There is a huge amount of crap on this thread, imho. The club has been hugely professional in this entire, extremely difficult (in fact, unprecedented) episode. I'm pretty sure most other clubs would have just fired Gus without any due process. The club realises it's a proper business and has to respect employment law (an oddity in the world of professional football).....the LMA should be grateful that at last a club is doing things by the book - instead, they decide to enter the fray when they had absolutely no need to. I can understand why BHA is pretty upset.

We should be thankful that we have a group of directors who want to manage this club professionally, in a financially sustainable way....instead, various people seem determined to undertake a smear campaign against Paul Barber, without any understanding of the actual issues. They even trot out this "fans not customers" tripe (what Barber actually said was that the club should not take supporters for granted - they should treat them like customers....it was meant to underline the need to IMPROVE the treatment of the fans, but various people choose to deliberately misunderstand this).

It seems quite a few on here would rather we followed the example of (say) Blackburn, who ignored the basics of employment law and ended up shelling out £2m to Henning Berg.....thankfully we are in the hands of extremely competent managers who will ensure this is sorted, properly - even if it is taking a bit of time. That's what due process requires.

End of rant!

Sense at last. Thank you JITW for an excellent post.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
There is a huge amount of crap on this thread, imho. The club has been hugely professional in this entire, extremely difficult (in fact, unprecedented) episode. I'm pretty sure most other clubs would have just fired Gus without any due process. The club realises it's a proper business and has to respect employment law (an oddity in the world of professional football).....the LMA should be grateful that at last a club is doing things by the book - instead, they decide to enter the fray when they had absolutely no need to. I can understand why BHA is pretty upset.

We should be thankful that we have a group of directors who want to manage this club professionally, in a financially sustainable way....instead, various people seem determined to undertake a smear campaign against Paul Barber, without any understanding of the actual issues. They even trot out this "fans not customers" tripe (what Barber actually said was that the club should not take supporters for granted - they should treat them like customers....it was meant to underline the need to IMPROVE the treatment of the fans, but various people choose to deliberately misunderstand this).

It seems quite a few on here would rather we followed the example of (say) Blackburn, who ignored the basics of employment law and ended up shelling out £2m to Henning Berg.....thankfully we are in the hands of extremely competent managers who will ensure this is sorted, properly - even if it is taking a bit of time. That's what due process requires.

End of rant!

sense at last

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here