Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Club Statement on OS

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It sounds to me that the club are HIGHLY confident in their case and I think thats exactly what todays statement shows.

I think it shows exactly the opposite of that: as ROSM rightly points out above, they've detailed nothing about their objections to the LMA other than issuing a vague and knee-jerk prickly, tetchy little legal threat which makes them look hyper-defensive, rather than confident. I'm rather surprised so many fail to recognise the vast difference between the two.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe but I do feel saying we'll sue you sounds a bit childish and undermines their statement a bit. Also they aren't likely to take action for a bit of minor libel/ disagreement in interpretation surely? That would really be a waste of time and money

THe threat is there, and that is key IMHO. It means the LMA can't (continue) to take the mickey.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
It will cost the LMA and Poyet a fortune to follow that agenda as the sacked party has to take the case to court. It sounds to me that the club are HIGHLY confident in their case and I think thats exactly what todays statement shows. Unless the LMA is certain they are going to win it is highly unlikely this will rumble on very long at all.

Surely if it was as simple as a sacking they would have just got on with it? I still think this case is more complicated or potentially serious than people think in my opinion

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If TB is signing off press releases then why does he employ a CEO?

Because he has other business interests and cannot afford the club the time he should, hence a CEO. However it doesn't negate his responsibilities especially as something as critical as this. As I said previously he has 130 million reasons why he will be keeping a close eye on this.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You're living in dreamland if you think this won't now rumble on for years. By going down the road they've chosen, the club have opened themselves up to all manor of legal disputes, claims and counter-claims ALL of which will involve solicitors and legal advisers.

The alternative option would have been this... be man enough to ignore whatever the club think Gus has done wrong. Wait by the phone until Dave Whealan phones, and then agree to terminate Gus' contract for a small amount of compensation enabling all parties to reach the desired outcome. We could and should be getting excited about a new manager and some new signings by now.

I'm so glad your willing to just throw away so much of Tony's money.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'm officially sick to f-ing death with this goddam SHAMBLES.

SORT IT OUT ALBION. FFS! :angry:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Complete joke. The club are looking like ****ing idiots.

Any other club and we'd be laughing our socks off.

What a farce.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am sticking by what my source (close to top of club) told me re Gus about 5 weeks ago. IF what I was told is true, then Gus is toast. We'll know for sure Thu, or Fri latest.

You can. Personally, I would take what someone at the club says with a pinch of salt, as I would anything anyone close to gus says. Each side will have their own view of things.

But the point was you seemed to suggest someone was unreasonably assuming gus's innocence, and instructed them to engage their brain before they post. For most people, this elf us who don't have someone from either side trying to put their side out there, or passing on to them info from people trying push their side, innocent until proven guilty is the normal approach, and so there's nothing wrong with what that poster did in assuming gus's innocence.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There is a huge amount of crap on this thread, imho. The club has been hugely professional in this entire, extremely difficult (in fact, unprecedented) episode. I'm pretty sure most other clubs would have just fired Gus without any due process. The club realises it's a proper business and has to respect employment law (an oddity in the world of professional football).....the LMA should be grateful that at last a club is doing things by the book - instead, they decide to enter the fray when they had absolutely no need to. I can understand why BHA is pretty upset.

We should be thankful that we have a group of directors who want to manage this club professionally, in a financially sustainable way....instead, various people seem determined to undertake a smear campaign against Paul Barber, without any understanding of the actual issues. They even trot out this "fans not customers" tripe (what Barber actually said was that the club should not take supporters for granted - they should treat them like customers....it was meant to underline the need to IMPROVE the treatment of the fans, but various people choose to deliberately misunderstand this).

It seems quite a few on here would rather we followed the example of (say) Blackburn, who ignored the basics of employment law and ended up shelling out £2m to Henning Berg.....thankfully we are in the hands of extremely competent managers who will ensure this is sorted, properly - even if it is taking a bit of time. That's what due process requires.

End of rant!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You don't sound as confident as you have previously, has your super source given you doubts?

No. Not a dickie since the clampdown. Just don't know what Gus and the LMA have got. I presume little, but who knows?

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Yes, I know they do, and they are usually the more naturally gifted. A very close friend of mine, himself an exceptionally talented and bright individual, once said to me regarding his piers "there are two types of people who get this far in any organisation - the self-obsessed sociopaths, often promoted beyond their level of competence, and the genuinely gifted, who sometimes, depending who they work for, hit their ceiling too early due to having sound ethics that they won't compromise".

Exactly my point, the ethical gifted ones (such as ourselves:thumbsup: ) don't often get to the top. I once read an article about the mindset of people at the top of their profession and generally they would step and and destroy anyone in their way

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
There is a huge amount of crap on this thread, imho. The club has been hugely professional in this entire, extremely difficult (in fact, unprecedented) episode. I'm pretty sure most other clubs would have just fired Gus without any due process. The club realises it's a proper business and has to respect employment law (an oddity in the world of professional football).....the LMA should be grateful that at last a club is doing things by the book - instead, they decide to enter the fray when they had absolutely no need to. I can understand why BHA is pretty upset.

We should be thankful that we have a group of directors who want to manage this club professionally, in a financially sustainable way....instead, various people seem determined to undertake a smear campaign against Paul Barber, without any understanding of the actual issues. They even trot out this "fans not customers" tripe (what Barber actually said was that the club should not take supporters for granted - they should treat them like customers....it was meant to underline the need to IMPROVE the treatment of the fans, but various people choose to deliberately misunderstand this).

It seems quite a few on here would rather we followed the example of (say) Blackburn, who ignored the basics of employment law and ended up shelling out £2m to Henning Berg.....thankfully we are in the hands of extremely competent managers who will ensure this is sorted, properly - even if it is taking a bit of time. That's what due process requires.

End of rant!

Well said.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You seem a sensible poster, but again you appear to be defending an LMA statement to the hilt whilst accusing the club of leaks, and poorly-thought-out statements. I, on the other hand, genuinely believe the club are on solid ground. In short, I trust our chairman and board.

How does that constitute 'defending the LMA statement to the hilt'? There's the comment about them selectively addressing points, and simply mentions it gives more detail.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
I am sticking by what my source (close to top of club) told me re Gus about 5 weeks ago. IF what I was told is true, then Gus is toast. We'll know for sure Thu, or Fri latest.

If your source is correct then fantastic we can all move on. I think you believe people who do not currently bash Poyet (call him monkey face etc which some Brighton fans have in the last few days) are all Poyet lovers I do not think this is the case. We just want the club to act in a professional manner, free of any spin.

During the Dick Knight era when you were in the happy clappy gang you would defend almost ANYTHING the club did or said to the hilt on here.
Hold on a minute. I know you put me in the "happy clappy gang" category. What you won't know about the FFA team is the number of times we advised the Club that it WOULDN'T be a good idea to air some of the big issues in public. An example (and it's probably safe to identify this issue now) was the FACT that very senior people at Brighton University at the time were so implacably opposed to co-operating with the stadium project that it could easily not have happened, because they weren't minded to make the land available - despite the fact that everyone believed they were onside with the project.

The issue was whether to take them on publicly, or keep quiet about the issue. There were those within the Club who reckoned they could out-fight the University in a public row, and the FFA team who advised that a couple of years of complete silence might be the better tactic. Silence prevailed.

There were, of course, issues where FFA people (including ROSM and myself) did defend the Club "to the hilt". Were we wrong?

It's not about being a "proper" business. It's about being a business that retains the brand loyalty of its customers. There are real signs (read this thread) that the Club are now struggling to achieve this. They should be doing better.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Exactly my point, the ethical gifted ones (such as ourselves:thumbsup: ) don't often get to the top. I once read an article about the mindset of people at the top of their profession and generally they would step and and destroy anyone in their way

I agree they tend to be in the minority the higher you go, particularly in finance and politics for example, but they are still there. In football management they are definitely there. A large ego and huge spade of self-belief does not necessarily preclude decent ethics.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Surely knowing when to stop something is the opposite of weak? I'm not saying it should stop but at some point negotiations will need to be had as they are unlikely to let it rumble on and go into the public domain

Again, the LMA have made a PUBLIC statement that the club believe to be unfair and inaccurate. They cannot just let it go, ESPECIALLY since the hearing is this Thu. They need the PUBLIC (well, as much of it as possible!) back onside.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Does it really matter what the fans think, we're not going to vote on it. It's all going to be played behind closed doors and whatever our views they aren't going to be taken into consideration. Maybe a few fans will stay away but they know that fans come back if success is there and you don't usually choose your football club so to speak

I know what you mean, but, believe me, the club DO care what the fans think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here